Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 02-04-2013, 03:32 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 218 / 211 / 150

Height: 5'4

Default Just a few wise words needed

Hey guys - I'm just posting in the hopes of hearing some wise words from anyone here. Am on my third day of binges - I've just been out of control over the weekend and today. Told myself it would stop today, but it seems never to end. Thing is, I know I'm eating just because. It's not even that I'm having difficult circumstances or anything now, emotionally am ok. Feels like it might be because I was being a bit restrictive with my diet the last few weeks and then not having lost anything must have made me a bit disappointed or something. Just went on a rampage of cinnamon rolls, whole tube of Pringles, sushi tray, garlic bread, the whole works. I can't get out of this without being restrictive - when I am eating like this I can't say ok, I can have a bit of this and a bit of that - it doesn't work!

Sorry.... just needed to vent and hopefully hear from others who're plodding on steadily alongside me in the battle of the binges!
sffx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:43 PM   #2  
Restart 11/2012 at 153lbs

S/C/G: Hw194/Sw160/Cw120/gw125

Height: 5'2" on the dot!

I am sorry u are having some bad days. I have never been a binger so I can't give u advice. I just ate bad crap all the time. Maybe if u are at home get out of the house. Do anything to get yourself away from all the food. I really wish I could say something to snap u out of it, but I can only say that I notice my restrictions have caused me to eat candy or cookIies or something of the kind lately. It's always late at night and since I have kids and a father in law that lives here and always only buys junk I have it readily available. What has worked in the past to get u out of your slump, try that. We are all going to fail at some point but realizing your wrongs and correcting them is all u can do. You will see better day!
chubbiegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:52 PM   #3  
Claim it ,Achieve it!

S/C/G: 212/104.2/120

Height: 5'2"

Forgive yourself and have a DO OVER tomorrow!
It's a fresh day and a New beginning ! We all can fall down Just as long as we keep getting up that's what's important!
Was there anything that triggered this do you know! Oh are you the type in for a penny in for a pound! Some people lock their cabinets and fridges.
if you have a side by side fridge a bike lock with a chain works well. One of my daughter's was a sleep eater and would eat Butter out of the fridge that's what helped us!
Also leave the area where your temptation is the high ...I use to go upstairs to our bedroom to be away from temptation now it does not bother me.
I was told it takes 30 days to learn a new behavior and this has worked for me.
I use to Pig out on junk but now realize that is different from Binge eating ..so I can't really say I know how you feel.
Good Luck,Roo2
Roo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:08 PM   #4  
Finally in control.

S/C/G: 294/236/199

Height: 5'4"

If you can get rid of the food that you're binging on...get rid of it now. Pour water all over it or salt. You can stop if you choose to. I'm a compulsive overeater with binge tendancies. Get it away from you. Take control back and reset right now. The fact that you're on here asking for help means you're trying to get back in control so do it! Good luck.

Last edited by ChickieBoom; 02-04-2013 at 04:47 PM.
ChickieBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:14 PM   #5  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

You know you want to stop, that's the first step. Get rid of what's left of the food, and find something to occupy your mind like a project or a walk or a room to clean.

You are stronger than this. Everybody backslides. My last binge was a pecan praline cheesecake eaten by finger. But I got back on the horse. You can do it, don't beat yourself up.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:22 PM   #6  

Height: 5"6

I always think binging is a manifestation of fear of failing on the weight loss journey. That's what it is for me, anyway. It's so scary thinking I am trying my best and that it won't work, so I overeat as a way to avoid having that nightmare come true. I become my own worst enemy and stop the journey, because if I am not trying, then I am not failing.

The good thing, though, is that this is temporary! We ALL have moments like this and the fact that you are posting shows you know that's what you are doing. You are a strong, incredible, woman and you are on an emotional journey that really has little to do with food and calories.

Just remember why you started this journey, as proof to yourself that you can continue. I believe in you and don't worry about this weekend. One of my favourite songs says "Forget regret, or life is yours to miss".

You can't control what happened yesterday, but the rest of today is yours! Embrace it and we'll cheer you on no matter what!
NorthernChick13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:17 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 218 / 211 / 150

Height: 5'4

Thank you all for your input, it was all exactly what I needed - knowing that there are other people out there doing well really motivates me. It's just past midnight here, so I'm off to bed and will start a whole new day tomorrow!
sffx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:33 PM   #8  
Claim it ,Achieve it!

S/C/G: 212/104.2/120

Height: 5'2"

Great sweet dreams
Roo2
Roo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:35 PM   #9  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sffx87 View Post
Feels like it might be because I was being a bit restrictive with my diet the last few weeks and then not having lost anything must have made me a bit disappointed or something
Dieting causes and fuels binges. It's really difficult to lose weight and track everything relating to that AND stop binge eating. I hope you find your happy medium - often once binges end, the weight thing takes care of itself.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:49 PM   #10  
Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 295/sig/175

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by krampus View Post
Dieting causes and fuels binges. It's really difficult to lose weight and track everything relating to that AND stop binge eating. I hope you find your happy medium - often once binges end, the weight thing takes care of itself.
I agree.

The last few months of my life have been consistently full of binges. I would either spend the day trying to eat well, or I would wake up knowing I was going to eat badly. Both days I'd end up binging. Sometimes I'd stabilize and not be too bad, but most days I was eating until sick every night.

I'm not sure why. Maybe a particularly low point. I was feeling really down about my weight and binging, feeling like they'd never stop.

I decided about two weeks ago that it's time to get real and do something I've been meaning to do for a long time. I gave up sugar and grains. They just don't work for me. I also found out I have a slight dairy intolerance, so that leaves out a lot of cheese. I've been only eating greek yogurt and goat cheese.

Since I cut all these things out, viewing them as practically poison, I haven't binged! But I also haven't been in a calorie deficit. Right now I'm viewing this from an overall health standpoint. I'd rather be eating 1000 calories at dinner, if that dinner is made from good quality meat, veggies and oil than eating that same amount in pasta and chips.

I'm eating substantially less however, because it's much easier to feel full on meat and veggies than on the same calories in junkier food.

The 'not binging' part is the most important part. My goal is to spend the next 60 days eating for health and avoiding binges. After that I'm going to consider trying to drop some weight, if I feel my binging is under control.
thewalrus0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:55 AM   #11  
Finally in control.

S/C/G: 294/236/199

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewalrus0 View Post
I decided about two weeks ago that it's time to get real and do something I've been meaning to do for a long time. I gave up sugar and grains. They just don't work for me. I also found out I have a slight dairy intolerance, so that leaves out a lot of cheese. I've been only eating greek yogurt and goat cheese.

Since I cut all these things out, viewing them as practically poison, I haven't binged! But I also haven't been in a calorie deficit. Right now I'm viewing this from an overall health standpoint. I'd rather be eating 1000 calories at dinner, if that dinner is made from good quality meat, veggies and oil than eating that same amount in pasta and chips.
This is the only thing that has worked for me. I can not have sugar in my system. I am severely addicted to it. I think of it as an allergy and I just don't eat it. I find that I'm much more in control if I just know that I can't eat it. I don't think of it as restricting, I think of it as something that will make me and keep me sick. Unfortunately, I'm not one of those people that can eat one or have a little taste and move on. One becomes three becomes the entire box. I stopped bargaining with myself about it and just accepted that it doesn't work in my body.

Good luck!
ChickieBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:00 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

First, you're obviously not alone in having binge attacks. I haven't had bad ones recently, but when I read what you are eating, it sure rang a bell for me.

One thing that seems to be working for me is trying to figure out what is at the root -- and I mean is it a sweet craving or a salt one......or both. You may already know, but the sweet and salt cravings are biological and are part of our survival instinct. So, when we severely restrict their intake, they come roaring back and we often fall victims to satisfying them through binges.

If I have a sweet craving, I have found that a lot of the higher carb fruits like apples, melons, and even some berries will help to satisfy it. If they're not sweet enough, I will sprinkle some Splenda on them. For salt, I eat some parmesan cheese (the good stuff that costs a fortune, not the canned stuff) or else I'll shred it, make little piles on a plate and nuke it for cheese chips. Either way, I definitely end up going over my personal carb limit and sometime my calorie limit, but the binges don't seem to last more than a day.

Don't know if that would work for you or not but it might be worth a try. Meanwhile, just accept that this will happen. Beating yourself up turns this into an emotional binge, and I find them much harder to pull out of. Good luck.
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:36 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 185/183/145

Height: 5'7"

Some things that help stop my binges after a few days are:
-drinking glass after glass of water
-brushing my teeth right after a meal
-eating a grapefruit after a meal (I can't taste anything but grapefruit after that, lol)
-drinking a big glass of water completely in the middle of my meal
-doing something else (for me, it's usually coming onto 3FC and complaining about my cravings and binges, lol)

The last piece of advice I have is: Ride out the binges. While some might disagree, I've come to recognize that at times my head and tummy are in two different places. It was the honesty and awareness that helped me develop this script/self-talk and helped me through my most recent binge (Thanksgiving-January *thanks holiday season, lol*):

-I accept that my body wants to overeat and that my mind is agreeable (because I'm over-feeding my body)
-I can choose to stop whenever I wish, but for now the overeating feels too good to stop
-I am aware of the consequences overeating will have on my weight loss journey, health, and emotional state
-I am aware that I will stop - either by mind or body; mind to no longer agree to overeating, body to physically make me sick with the amount of food I'm giving it
-I am aware that I can control myself when I am ready to
-I am aware that getting depressed about this binge will not stop the binge
-I am aware that I want the binge to STOP

Now, this may not work for everyone, but we all have conversations with ourselves when we're doing things that are contrary to our goals. To generalize, it probably sounds like 'Why am I doing this?' or something to that nature. And that conversation is all too riddled with self-hatred. Instead, I turned my self-talk into a realistic mirror of my behaviors and intentions. I use it to take realistic control over my binge and turn the behavior into a goal: Once I'm done with the binge, it's time to get on track without self loathing.

Idk, it worked for me. I hope I explained it well enough. Good luck!
coffeeshopgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:48 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 160/123/???

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickieBoom View Post
This is the only thing that has worked for me. I can not have sugar in my system. I am severely addicted to it. I think of it as an allergy and I just don't eat it. I find that I'm much more in control if I just know that I can't eat it. I don't think of it as restricting, I think of it as something that will make me and keep me sick. Unfortunately, I'm not one of those people that can eat one or have a little taste and move on. One becomes three becomes the entire box. I stopped bargaining with myself about it and just accepted that it doesn't work in my body.

Good luck!
Same here. I look at cutting out sugar as a tool that allows me to achieve my goal. All the effort, planning and forethought in the world isn't enough to prevent me from bingeing, if I'm consuming sugar. This hasn't prevented me from bingeing by itself or anything, but it's made not bingeing possible for me. It still takes a lot of effort, but it's not impossible anymore.
vabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:48 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/135

Height: 5'7''

I am such a binge eater too and what has helped me is food journaling and being 100% honest on the journal. I make myself write the food down before I eat it and that is usually enough to stop me.
I do have bad moments, but I've been two weeks binge free and I feel like I can keep going.
Mostly for me it's just becoming conscious of what I'm doing since I usually just zone out and eat the entire tube of Pringles.
Maybe to start- If you feel a binge coming on - maybe say to yourself- ok I can binge- but only on fresh fruit or veggies-
angiemama is offline   Reply With Quote