Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 02-04-2013, 07:35 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyKatFan View Post
You know, I have been very much against eating carbs and processed foods, but lately I have been changing my thinking a bit now that I have begun to have success with breaking the binge cycle.

The philosophy of the nutritionists and therapists where I go have a different attitude toward carbs. Not saying it's right, it's just an alternative point of view. They argue that if you deny yourself the foods you crave, you will continue to be frustrated, start focusing on that food and end up binging after pent-up denial. Food is there for nutrition but it is also there for satisfaction and emotional comfort.

I found this view to be personally true. I totally cut processed carbs and sugars out of my diet and instead of feeling better, my obsessions became unbearable. I wasn't able to get pastries, donuts, etc. off my mind and soon would end up binging.

With this new philosophy, if I want a carb-laden food, I can have it. But just one. I am encouraged to eat starches and whole grains (in reasonable portions) so I will be less inclined to binge later. Rather than denying a craving and being miserable, have a small portion that satisfies you.

I am just about to finish Week 10 binge-free so this new philosophy seems to be working for me. I lost all my binge weight, about 15 net pounds after water retention weight America off, and am stable which is what I'm aiming for as I go thru therapy. Now I'm not running around eating donuts and pastries - in fact, I don't even crave them now . But I am eating brown rice, some bread, even an occasional small dessert. Not a lot; I still primarily eat fish and chicken with fruits and veggies, but I am thrilled that my attitude towards food has been changing.
That's great, this is where I want to get to. I don't believe in a no-carb lifestyle but I do think we have to be very smart and very careful with carbs. Just yesterday I tried to look for a health cereal (I like to sprinkle about a tsbp of it on top of my yogurt for some fiber and crunch) and I looked at every cereal that was advertised as "healthy." I could not find one, not ONE cereal in that huge long aisle that didn't list sugar as the 2nd ingredient. Not one. There are some serious issues with our industry I tell ya. People are led to believe they are eating healthy but in truth they're sticking sugar in all our food. Seriously, why do we need sugar in whole wheat bread? Why???

So anyway, I did Atkins once and it was a nightmare. I don't wish to deprive myself of anything. But normal people don't go around eating crap all day long. I can survive on a diet of burger king, cheetos and chips. I love other foods, but crap food is what I crave. It's an addiction.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:37 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti in Seattle View Post
Hi again. You have obviously done your homework and studied up on all this! You said "of course I know all this" but it is amazing how many people don't!!! Good for you!

One other comment... personally I think it not necessary to eat the tiny amount of food your doctor recommended! A hard boiled egg for breakfast is insufficient IMO... no reason you can't add some veggies to that or fruit or something. You don't have to go around hungry in order to lose weight and be healthy.

Just my opinion.
You're right, it's a tiny amount of food. I'm taking her suggestions with a grain of salt. Food should not be the enemy.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote