General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 02-03-2013, 04:48 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 270/219/140

Height: 5'5

Default Single parents and University.

After some soul searching i've recently discovered that I have a passion for nutrition and everything healthy food related and since then have done a ton of research of the "perfect" career/"vocation" for myself. Since then I have been looking up universities that are accredited to a certain organization i would have to register with(after getting the degree and doing field-placement/and or co-op) and taking an exam in the province i wish to practice in. I'm extremely focused on being a registered dietitian and there's only 3 universities i'm looking into that would be relatively "close" to home.

I wanted some opinions from anyone who had gone through university as a single parent. The ups and down's, having to work part time(if anyone had to, i know i would, to keep the overall student loan cost down) and how you managed overall.
I know it's going to be hard, and being as organized as much as possible will help , as well as managing my time effectively. I know i wont be able to go this year, I have some upgrading of a few classes to do first(Bio, English, math, and two others i think, i'm waiting for the calendars/view books to come in so i know what the requirements are to know what i need to upgrade).
I really need these opinions so that i can make sure this is something i can accomplish and still be a great mom at the same time. I would be the only person in my family to actually go and graduate from university(i went to college, but it got me nowhere , a bit of too fast and not enough time to make sure it's what i really want to do).

Anyways, All opinions would be really appreciated
MizMelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #2  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

here's some of my thoughts, in no particular order:

- as a single parent, or really a parent at all, you will still have to provide all things for your child/children, financially etc...can you do that on a part time job? or are there other supports in the picture, parents etc, who could help?

- the ages of your kid(s) will make a difference...for example i could take classes and know that my teenager, age 15, is doing just fine at home, whereas i would have to arrange care etc for my 6 year old....are your kids young enough to still be getting up at night? that is a HUGE drain on me personally and my energy level...

- do you have to take a full load of classes at once? or can you take a few at a time and get there slower but perhaps more manageable with job and kids?

- lastly, like your signature says, you CAN DO THIS....you are capable of doing this and you will still be a good parent no matter how you work it

i tried once when i was young to take more college classes...i was a single parent of a special needs 4 year old and also working an intense full time job managing a newspaper...i took one distance ed course and found it was Way Too Much to juggle...but that was just my personal experience...
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:06 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 275-280/see ticker/150

Height: 5' 6.5"

I'm not a single parent but a bunch of my classmates are. It really does depend on the age of your kids. Most my classmates have infants or toddlers and it's hard on them. If you have a strong support system for child care it sounds like it's easier. Don't be afraid to go for your dreams. It's hard (I'm working and going to school full-time so super kudos for the parents!) but it's your future and it's SO worth it! You're worth it Single parents qualify for a ton of aid so financially it's easier than those without kids. I know some people that actually have almost all their schooling paid for by government programs for single mothers.
ilidawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:49 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 270/219/140

Height: 5'5

Alaskan- Thank you for giving me a lot to think about. I'm pretty sure i could provide my son with what he needs with a part time job(luckily with my current job i'll be starting in a week or so, i could easily transfer stores when the time comes and i'll be able to work full time during the off time, like summer vaca and save up any extra for the following year).

Because I have to move to be able to go to the university of my choice, my parents will be 4 hours away, so as much as they might come for a visit once in a while, more so to give me a bit of a break so i can study even more, i wouldn't have them around for full support. Thankfully i do have other family that lives near there, though they tend to be always busy.

I know i could go part time, but I'd much rather take a full course load. I know i could handle a full load, I think it's just a matter of managing my time efficiently. My son is going to be 4 next month, so luckily when i start university, he'll be just starting kindergarten and i'll only need to worry about after school care(if i need it) and finding a reputable sitter for when i have to work on weekends and any evening.
I figure if i have to work a little more, I can take a class or two online.

When i was in college almost 2 years ago, I didn't have a job, but i took the course online and pulled off graduating with honors.

Thanks ilidawn ! I definitely plan on looking into scholarships and bursaries, especially ones that are geared towards single parents.( i never knew they existed until a friend of mine told me about them lol). I'm thankful i'll have extra money coming in because of family allowance. I don't think it would be as much as i'm getting now, but it's going to help a lot.
MizMelis is offline   Reply With Quote