Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-02-2013, 05:57 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 280/255/Healthy, Happy, Strong

Height: 5'7"

Default Curvy Ladies and Burly Guys - Higher Goal Weights

Sometimes I feel a bit odd around here when I notice my goal weight is much higher than many people. Heck, sometimes my goal weight is higher than where people are starting!

There is nothing wrong with being super skinny (unless we are talking about anorexia), but I don't want to ever be there and I don't see it as the ideal in attractiveness. (We all have our personal preferences.) I know this is contrary to the messages we see in the media.

I'm 5'7". The lightest I've been as an adult is 170 and I felt fantastic and was very happy with my body. I tend to distribute my weight fairly well (at least that is what I keep getting told!) My goal weight right now is 180 and I can't see myself ever below 160. I want to keep my curves! When I get down to my goal I'll have to evaluate my health, but there is a growing body of evidence that weight in and of itself isn't as big of a health factor as once thought. It is far more accurate to measure body fat percentage instead of weight as well, but isn't it so much easier to step on a scale?

I've noticed some people here have "higher" goal weights as well and I thought it would be good for us to band together for support. Anyone else out there?

Addition for Clarification: I'm not saying that skinnier people can't be "curvy" by my title. I'm also not advising that women should have higher goal weights - a goal weight is a personal choice. Along that line, we all have different concepts of what our body ideal is. I respect those differences in opinion in others while still having my own preferences.

Last edited by Renwomin; 02-03-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Renwomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:14 PM   #2  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

Hey Renwomin, I'm with ya. I know that I am not built to weigh less than 160 lbs. My super ultimate goal is to make it to a "Normal" BMI and that's around 175. I am tall, and have a large frame. Besides, I like having a shape, I have a nice hour-glass figure in there somewhere and I can't wait to be able to show it off Long way to go, but I am motivated!
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:31 PM   #3  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

My original goal was 175. But I lowered it to 145 just to see if I could go below my comfort zone.
But honestly, 145 is considered the "high" side of normal for my height.
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:44 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/145

Height: 5'4

Default Top of the BMI Range

I'm 5'3 and shooting for 145, but I don't know if I can get there at my age. I'll be 40 next month and I haven't been in the 140's since I was 23. Also, I'm one of those girls who has front and rear bumpers like a 57 Buick no matter what I weigh. I don't think I'm meant to be " petite ".

I just picked 145 because it's just within the " normal " BMI range for me and it would make 100lbs. lost. I would settle for 150-160. I was even pretty happy with 175.

Last edited by Streudel; 02-02-2013 at 06:45 PM.
Streudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:48 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

I'm 5'3" and my final goal is currently 170. I don't remember the last time I was at that weight. I know I was 150/160 in Grade 5, but I was a few inches shorter then. We'll see how it goes, but I can do 170 and be happy I think.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:59 PM   #6  
Dedicated Yogi

S/C/G: 269/188/160

Height: 5'8 1/2 :)

you know what? who cares as long as you're happy.

i'm almost 5'9 and 180 lbs. I have a flat tummy and abs poking through. more so when some people in the low 140s or below.

if you're happy, life is good
stimkovs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:08 PM   #7  

I will consider myself a SKINNY MINNIE at 199, let me tell you! That's my goal right now and it seems so far away even though I have accomplished so much. It's like seeing the finish line and then inch-worming to the end!

When I got out of high school (a hundred years ago!) I was 145lbs and thought I was larger than life. I look back on pics and wish I appreciated how I looked.

I met my husband a few years after that and I was up to 159 after our first couple of months dating (hello dinner and dessert!). So then I felt larger than larger than life!!

During our marriage, the lowest I can remember getting to is 175 and everyone thought I was so skinny then and I had only been as high as about 225 to start that time around.

199 will be a dream come true for me and if I get lower than that, yay me. If I don't, people can still think I am large and I will not care!!

I do get envious of people my height or taller with goals of 130, 140, etc. I don't think I weighed that since I was 10 lol.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:13 PM   #8  
Level 5 Vegan

S/C/G: 289/171/140

Height: 5'4"

Yes! Finally other people with higher goal weights! My goal is 180 and I'm 5'4.5". That is still considered overweight, but is so far lower than anything I've weighed as an adult, *I* consider it a great goal. I feel like being curvy is such a HUGE part of my identity that I am very uncomfortable at the thought of being smaller. I want to be healthy but still me and love my body.
PUPMOM5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:20 PM   #9  

If you really look at it BMI (or any other height/weight scale) is a bad metric. It doesn't take into account fitness, healthy, or body fat percentage. When athletes are being listed as "overweight" on the BMI scale you know something is wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streudel View Post
Also, I'm one of those girls who has front and rear bumpers like a 57 Buick no matter what I weigh. I don't think I'm meant to be " petite ".

This made me laugh! I'm built the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimkovs View Post
you know what? who cares as long as you're happy.
Amen!
Old 02-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #10  
Warrior Princess

135p is the lowest I can go before I start looking too thin so 140p goal it is. People already think I'm in my 120's. Not even close.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:42 PM   #11  
Maria

S/C/G: 253/144/129.8

Height: 5' 6"

I don't know what my goal is. I will be at a healthy BMI at 152, so I have set that as my goal, but if the boobs or the butt start to shrink, I'll stop. Although, so far it's the exact opposite and nobody can explain it... I like having a goal, but I don't really think any of us know when we'll be satisfied with how we look.
Marniadec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:44 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 335/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7 -171ish cm

too each their own. im 209 and your height (op) and at 180 im still quite fat (like MEGA fat). and i dont mean pant size wise cause im about a 10 now (9-11 and probably 7-8 at 180) just in general im still quite very fat at 180 despite my fitness level and even weight distribution. so id never stop at 180. im still quite fat at 150-160 even. but thats me. I know girls my height that are perfectly flat and perfect at 160-180 too. Bodies are very different. i dont think its fair to think women who go below that 'lose their curves'. i dont, many women are still curvascious at a lower weight. its what best suits YOU not someone else. I dont think generalizations are fair to larger women or smaller women. What you find attractive is personal but generalizations are unfair. Theres a diff between 'curvy' and heavier too. just saying this cause some girls equate them as the same. You can be a size 6 and have more curves than a size 16. Its not one in the same. I'm not saying I disagree with anyones gw, just that ppl seem to be equating holding onto more weight as holding onto curves as tho smaller women dont have a feminine shape lol I know far more shapeless large women than shapeless small women. It just varies body to body so unless youve been a weight before you have no idea where you will be happy at and what you look like then. Do whats best for you and your health not some false fear of curve loss :P when youre happy with it youre happy with it

Last edited by CherryQuinn; 02-02-2013 at 07:50 PM.
CherryQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:59 PM   #13  
Empress/Queen

I agree with Cherry Quinn. People's ideal or goal weight is very personal and individual.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:06 PM   #14  

It never was my intent to disparage anyone's lower goal weight. I understand it is a personal choice and our bodies are all different! My intent is to provide a place for those who have set higher goal weights to connect and bond since we seem to be the minority on this site - that is all.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:26 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 96/83.2/75

Height: 5'7"/170cm

I enjoyed reading through this as I'm in the same boat as most of you. For most of my adult life I've been around 200, I hit a high weight of 220 and a low of about 188. I'm 192 now and am actually pretty comfortable being here. My goal is to hit 170, I'm pretty sure my body physically can't go much lower than that, but who knows as I've never seen it. According to BMI, I won't be in normal weight till I hit 158, but I think that's impossible. I was there in middle school.

My main goal is to become healthier and have a more active lifestyle. The extra weight is just slowing me down. I'd be fine at 190 as long as it was a 'fit' 190, right now it isn't.
Changergirl is offline   Reply With Quote