Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-31-2013, 09:56 AM   #1  

S/C/G: Unknown/Unknown/105

Height: 5'2

Default A Little frustrated

So I've been taking on a harder running regime (interested in taking up long distance running and to get out of the house...I'm homeschooled) and my right lower calf has been cramping up and giving me pain. I think it's from the sudden shock of going from pretty much sedentary to really active. I'm just going to rest it and take up walking for now. Just a little frustrated that I have to hold back a little though. :/
Jessieeehuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:11 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

Are you staying hydrated and getting enough potassium. Most of my running friends always drink chocolate milk after a run. Chocolate milk has been shown to work as well or better than sports drinks. Also, going from sedentary to flat out running might have caused a muscle sprain or tear. Doing some walking and working up your running might work better.
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:52 AM   #3  
Foodie For Life

S/C/G: 192/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

When I was training for 13.1's I would eat a lot of bananas... That always seemed to help with the cramping in my calves. Also, have you been properly fitted for shoes? A specialty running store will be able to determine your running gait to see if the shoes you are wearing are right for you. And of course, stay hydrated while running. Long distance running requires you to drink more fluids than if you were just running a couple of miles. Don't get frustrated... But also don't try to over do it.
NolaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:59 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 229/see ticker/135

Height: 62 inches

I second making sure you are getting enough potassium. Also, don't push yourself to hard to soon. I'm doing the http://zombiesrungame.com. They have an 8 week 5k training program, so I'm not killing myself getting to my goal!

Does the cramping only happen while you run and for a while after, or is it constant, 24/7?
RavenWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:05 AM   #5  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I understand the desire to GET OUT THERE AND RUN LIKE A BOSS, but you need to take it easy! Start by walking, then speed walking, then jogging for intervals, etc.

There are some great training programs out there and all of them will urge you to start slow. It's the best way to avoid injury and learn proper form (which helps you avoid future injuries).
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:35 PM   #6  

S/C/G: Unknown/Unknown/105

Height: 5'2

Oh wow okay thanks guys. This was really helpful. I think I might be pushing it too hard. I'm definitely going to give my calves a rest for a few days (probably doing something with less impact like elliptical or cycling) and start paying attention to getting enough potassium.
Jessieeehuang is offline   Reply With Quote