PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:14 PM   #1  
dirty labour daughter

S/C/G: 318/301/155

Height: 5'10"

Default Ladies who have regulated their cycles through diet...

...how long did it take? I normally have VERY irregular cycles averaging over 36 days in length (40+ day cycles not at all abnormal, with some 50+ day and 70+ day ones thrown in just for kicks) but since December 1st I've had a 30 day cycle followed by a 28 day cycle. I know there's no way to know if this is just a fluke or not without waiting it out, but did anyone else notice menstrual changes immediately like this when they started eating right, exercising, and losing weight?
merilung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:22 PM   #2  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

I've had the tests and the ultrasounds but my doctors aren't sure if it's pcos or what. Apparently my female plumbing is a mess. I do have a lot of the symptoms though.

My menses full on stopped save for once or twice per year once I got really really heavy (with the exception of when I was on the pill and got it like clockwork). I've noticed since I started dieting I've been much closer to regular, with one cycle in November then again in January.

I've also noticed that I have horrible pms symptoms that I haven't had since I was thin. Cramping, bloating etc.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:24 PM   #3  
Back to Basics!

S/C/G: 187/127/125

Height: 5' 2.5"

I had maybe one cycle per year prior to the weight loss. Pregnancy did not affect my lack of periods, and I required infertility treatments to conceive.

After losing the weight, my periods pretty "magically" regulated to about every 35 days. I have noticed that when I don't exercise regularly, combined with a higher carb intake, I lose my period again.
ChickieChicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:34 PM   #4  
Taking it 1lb at a time!

S/C/G: 291/Ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

Ok I know this is bad but, I would only get 1 period(if even that) a year when I was overweight. I knew I should of went to the doctor but I was terrified of what they may or may not find.

I am still overweight, but for whatever reason my period has magically came back when I got myself down into the 250s. For the past 3 months I have been getting it regularly. Its odd but I thought about it and the last weight range I was in when I still had a regular period was 250s. When I went over the 250s that's when I lost it. I was happy it came back because that means my body is starting to function properly but at the same time I don't want to deal with all the side effects that come from TOM lol.

And before you all ask, I do plan on letting the doc know about the past issues Ive had next time I go so if they want to run test to double check the plumbing(even though it is working again) they can.
CocoTruffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:37 PM   #5  

S/C/G: HW:280+ LW:229 CW:254

Height: 5ft4

Once I lost about 50lbs my cycle came back regular as clockwork as if it had never been gone. I think it was a combination of eating better and weight loss, rather than just the numbers.
Istayedhomeandate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:51 PM   #6  
dirty labour daughter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickieChicks View Post
I have noticed that when I don't exercise regularly, combined with a higher carb intake, I lose my period again.
I've spent literally thousands of dollars trying to regulate my cycle. If it turns out all I had to do was regular exercise, I'm going to feel like a world class idiot! I'm definitely going to keep up with low-carb/working out now and hope for the best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Istayedhomeandate
Once I lost about 50lbs my cycle came back regular as clockwork as if it had never been gone. I think it was a combination of eating better and weight loss, rather than just the numbers.
Yes, I was wondering if eating better/working out/other healthy changes played a role in this, too, as I've only lost 20 pounds so far, and when I was "maintaining" around the weight I am now for years my cycles were still long and irregular.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:16 PM   #7  
Restart 11/2012 at 153lbs

S/C/G: Hw194/Sw160/Cw120/gw125

Height: 5'2" on the dot!

Thanks for bringing this up. I didn't much keep track when I was heavier, except back in 06 when trying to conceive. I was close to 190 and didn't get pregnant for nearly 2 years. I was regular then about every 28 days. I think maybe losing 10 lbs around that time and not trying anymore was when it happened. Tmi but I have a druggy cousin who was prego with her 4th and didn't want the baby so I had been talking to her about me taking her baby. She finally decided to keep it and I got pregnant right after. I know off subject.
Anyway. Since I started losing weight again in November my cycle has been weird. Got it at 35 days, then 25 days and 23 days last time. Could something I am doing affect it. I usually have a bad week before and during, so lately I am not being left with many good days in between.
chubbiegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:13 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by merilung View Post
...how long did it take? I normally have VERY irregular cycles averaging over 36 days in length (40+ day cycles not at all abnormal, with some 50+ day and 70+ day ones thrown in just for kicks) but since December 1st I've had a 30 day cycle followed by a 28 day cycle. I know there's no way to know if this is just a fluke or not without waiting it out, but did anyone else notice menstrual changes immediately like this when they started eating right, exercising, and losing weight?
Yes, I did, exercise and diet. When I'm eating higher carb, my cycles are longer, when I am lower carb, my cycles get shorter. There's such a strong link with diet/exercise/weight for me.

I also wanted to say that a "regular" cycle isn't 28 days... it can be as short as 28 days, but normal can still be 35 days give or take a few days. The "normality" of your cycle is in the context of your other periods and whether or not your ovulating as well and other marks of fertility...

But I'm glad that exercise has helped!

At the end of the day, I think the number of pounds, amount of exercise, and diet changes are all different for everyone, so anyone else reading this thread, if your cycles aren't regular, keep trying to find that magic combination that works for you, if you can!
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:00 AM   #9  
dirty labour daughter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rana View Post
Yes, I did, exercise and diet. When I'm eating higher carb, my cycles are longer, when I am lower carb, my cycles get shorter. There's such a strong link with diet/exercise/weight for me.

I also wanted to say that a "regular" cycle isn't 28 days... it can be as short as 28 days, but normal can still be 35 days give or take a few days. The "normality" of your cycle is in the context of your other periods and whether or not your ovulating as well and other marks of fertility...

But I'm glad that exercise has helped!

At the end of the day, I think the number of pounds, amount of exercise, and diet changes are all different for everyone, so anyone else reading this thread, if your cycles aren't regular, keep trying to find that magic combination that works for you, if you can!

Oh, I know that the 'textbook' 28 day cycle is a half-myth - I'm a doula and I've been charting my own fertility signs since 2007 - I've probably gone through about 10 copies of Taking Charge of Your Fertility by now because I keep loaning them to other people! I guess I meant that my last two cycles have been both shorter and similar in length - it would be more 'normal' for me to have a 39 day cycle followed by a 45 day cycle followed by a 52 day cycle followed by a 36 day cycle, etc. - very random, on the long to VERY long side. If I was having regular, consistent 35 day or even 40 day cycles I would probably chalk that up as being my normal, but I'd LOVE it if my cycles both regulated and shortened!
Old 01-29-2013, 05:54 PM   #10  
Designing my new physique

S/C/G: 316

Height: 5'7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by merilung View Post
I'm closer to menopause so I might not be best gauge but once I was under 230#s I had my periods every 28/29 days. Normal. Now, for past 3-4 months I've had it rolling in about every 32 days, like clockwork I add 2 days to the previous date but like I said it might be hormones w/my age getting closer to the dreaded menopause.
avalonmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:27 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 210/185/137

Height: 5'8"

Once I started eating better, restricting calories and exercising regularly (I honestly believe this was the most important fact) I was getting my period every month on metformin (as opposed to every other month when I was not watching my diet and exercising). After a year and a bit of getting my period regularly I stopped taking metformin...and I kept getting my period every month. In fact, I became even more regular after a few cycles (very close to a perfect 28 day cycle). It was pretty amazing. To this day I know my diet and exercise is on track if my period is on schedule.

Exercise plays a huge role in regulating insulin levels. Exercise releases Human Growth Hormone which pretty much prevents insulin from binding to your cells. This can increase insulin sensitivity and help regulate the rest of your hormones which helps regulate your cycles. Sleep also releases growth hormone.
gymrat05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:35 AM   #12  

S/C/G: size 20/14/10

Height: 5' 7"

Well, my last cycle was about 27 and a half days. I have it listed as 27 because of the dates on my tracker app, but if you went by actual start time it is probably closer to 28. Anyway...before losing any of the weight my cycle was pretty consistently 33 days. Over the last year it has been normalizing and getting closer to 28. It was at 29 for about 3 months before this cycle.

Last edited by mariposssa; 02-02-2013 at 02:36 AM.
mariposssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:28 PM   #13  
Believing

S/C/G: 271/265/150

Height: 5'3

I don't have much to add here, but I find this thread very promising. I lost my cycle about 6 months ago. It just...stopped. I am now two weeks in to a physician directed weight loss plan and on metformin. I'm really interested to see if/when things go back to normal. My physician said it was highly doubtful that I'm in an early menopause.

Edited to add:

After being on metformin one week, I got my first period in 6 months. Too early to say "trend" but something has certainly changed.

Last edited by Natalie42; 02-06-2013 at 09:01 PM.
Natalie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:07 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 150/144/120

Height: 5 foot

Just curious what type of exercises how often everyone is doing? I have herd some types of excercies can make you irregular and I don't need anymore of that. We are trying to conceive, and 40+ cycles and some times ovulating are making that really hard. I am about 20 pounds overweight any suggestions would be great
Jessica25m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:47 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 220/158/133

Height: 5 foot 6

I went for at least 4 years having one or no periods per year. I tried the pill to regulate it but it didn't really work. My period came back last November 2012 after I had lost about 28 lbs. I have had a period every calendar month since then which is MAJOR progress for me, although I didn't start to track it until January (I was so shocked I didn't want to scare it away or anything!!) and it has ranged from 25-30 day cycles. I am hoping it will settle into more of a pattern as time goes on.

I think losing weight did help to regulate my period but during the years of no periods I went through a range of weights, and I was certainly in a 'healthy' BMI range at various points and it didn't seem to make any difference. I genuinely think that a healthier diet and exercise is what has made the difference this time. In November, I had spent the previous months cycling to and from work, and at that time I was regularly walking 10+ miles daily as well as eating better. Exercise is the prime factor in weight loss for me and I really think this is what helped to regulate my periods, although it took a while for my body to regulate itself and the noticeable changes to kick in.

Obviously, it varies for everyone and exercise may not solve the problem for all women. I just wanted to share my personal experiences! My inclination, merilung is that it probably is not a fluke for you, as you seem to have had the same experience as me. I have no idea if the type of exercise made a difference for me, but just in case, most of my exercise has been walking, running or aerobics.
EskaDee is offline   Reply With Quote