Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-29-2013, 02:01 PM   #1  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

Default Resisting workplace temptation success!

Stupid work, stupid coworkers thinking its necessary to reward with donuts all the time!

While I appreciate the sentiment. I don't want any damn donuts! I have managed to walk past the mondo box of donuts 4 times without giving in... I am having some almonds, pumpkin seeds and crasins instead.

Screw you donuts. I don't need you!

How do you guys deal with those kinds of temptations?
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:09 PM   #2  
Warrior Princess

I have an office that feels it's necessary to throw a buffet every time the wind blows and then wonder why they can't lose weight. They insist it's because they're over 50 and "there's nothing wrong with indulging once in a while"....well it's way more than once in a while at my job and BS that they can't lose weight past 50. It's their body, not mine. I've gotten better about ignoring the food.

Co-irkers get on my nerves.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:12 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 229/see ticker/135

Height: 62 inches

I am not working, but I do have a volunteer position that I go to meetings for.

Our meetings ALWAYS involve pizza, sodas, and cookies! That is it! Nothing else. So as soon as they pass out plates, I decline. No plate, and I don't reach for the pizza in front of me.

I bring my own drink, so the soda is off the menu.

I think next time, I am going to bring a healthy snack with me, so I'm not th only one "not" eating.

Good for you for passing up those donuts...repeatedly! Will power!
RavenWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:17 PM   #4  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Yep, it's hard. And having your own snacks was a good idea!
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:22 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 305.5/226.8/170

Height: 5'5"

I completely and utterly hear you on this one. I've heard the word 'donut' at least 10 times today. And this is from the same woman who is a freaking martha stewart with cakes, pies, dips, and cupcakes. She brings something in at LEAST twice a week, and goes on and on about what is in it (always twelve gallons of butter and a carton of sugar) and everyone drools and walks around eating it. The guy behind me gets either fried chicken or pizza EVERY DAY and eats it at his desk. The fried chicken smells gross, but of course the pizza smells delicious. Not to mention the food days we have once every few weeks.

I totally freakin hear you on this. It's gotten to be a lot easier to resist because now it's almost a joke. It's like...are you serious?? Am I on candid camera?

Okay...im off my soap box. but yeah...im there with you...
LebenAlles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:27 PM   #6  

Yep. It's the worst. I don't bring that stuff into my house, and I can usually pass it up at a meeting or event without issue, but I have a problem with it being constantly available... constantly calling me while I am trying to work and can't either escape from the office or toss them in the trash.

I am on a mission to achieve Onederland - FINALLY. So, I just printed out a sheet that says nothing but the number "199" in font large enough to cover the whole page, put one up in my office, and one up on the office fridge. (So far, no one has asked about it, but I don't care if they do.) When I walked into the kitchen this morning to make my herbal tea, I saw the plate of cookies to the left and my big "199" sign to my right. It helped. But, I admit, I did have a single bite of a single cookie as I was making my lunch. (I used a knife to cut it -- No, I am not "that" coworker. ;-)) I promise. If I have to go in there and see the cookies again, I will surreptitiously toss them. Because whether I eat them or throw them away, they're not available to others, right? Right? Hmm... Maybe I am "that" coworker.
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:27 PM   #7  
Starting Over Again

S/C/G: 195/195/150

I work for a school, so anytime students aren't there or if its near the holidays, there is always junk food everywhere. Luckily, they tend to offer coffee and fruit as well, so I usually grab a cup of coffee and an orange.
Psychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:28 PM   #8  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebenAlles View Post
. I've heard the word 'donut' at least 10 times today. And this is from the same woman who is a freaking martha stewart with cakes, pies, dips, and cupcakes. She brings something in at LEAST twice a week, and goes on and on about what is in it (always twelve gallons of butter and a carton of sugar) and everyone drools and walks around eating it.
The irony? I'm a martha stewart of cakes and cookies and such and I make them quite a bit. I just don't eat them. She probably brings them in to get them out of HER house!
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:29 PM   #9  
Warrior Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebenAlles View Post
She brings something in at LEAST twice a week, and goes on and on about what is in it (always twelve gallons of butter and a carton of sugar) and everyone drools and walks around eating it. The guy behind me gets either fried chicken or pizza EVERY DAY and eats it at his desk.
Gross.

Our office manager (I'll use the term "manager" loosely since she does a little more than Facebook all day) is in her 60's and on her 3rd heart attack. The docs have told her she needs to be on a very strict diet, you'd think she would listen. I would be terrified.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:38 PM   #10  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

Everything revolves around food at this place. We have a large number of Filipino's here and they are notorious for bringing the most ridiculous amounts of food, and they are always so generous. Sometimes I feel bad turning them down, when they are clearly very excited to share with you! But every week they are carting trays and trays of food to the lunchroom, because its someones birthday, someones last day, someone picked their nose....! It's just crazy!

All of the reward systems are food based! Build this many things and you get donuts, complete this project on time and we will have a pot luck. Monthly BBQ's complete with build your own sundae bars! A calorie counters nightmare!

I am lucky to have changed positions recently or I would have been stuck manning the candy cart again! To raise money for *insert cause of the month here* we will buy oodles and oodles of candy, chips, pop and whatever else. I used to be the lucky one in charge of buying, stocking and pushing that damned cart around!! While the pushing the cart around was good exercise, the constant noshing on the cart contents was NOT! Finally after a few health conscious people complained, we started stocking fruit and low cal snacks.

I will hang out in my cube with my bottle of water and bag of nuts and seeds and not be tempted anymore!!!
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:02 PM   #11  
Warrior Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfire View Post
All of the reward systems are food based!
That's the problem today. Everything revolves around food and/or alcohol.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:09 PM   #12  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

I read things like this and can't believe it's real. I work at a nonprofit and people sometimes put baked goods downstairs and there was a tray of sweets the day before Christmas, but I guess here there are more people with restricted diets/allergies/vegans than "average."
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:12 PM   #13  
Restart 11/2012 at 153lbs

S/C/G: Hw194/Sw160/Cw120/gw125

Height: 5'2" on the dot!

I managed an autoparts store for years, when I finally got an office job I couldn't believe that all I had heard about sweets being brought in was true. Someones wife was always sending lasagna or enchillada. My coworkers always brought donuts and sweet coffees. Unfortunately at the start of that job I was 130 but hit 155 by the end of my year there. Kudos for not giving in.
chubbiegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:18 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

One of my HUGE problems is FREE FOOD - I know that it's insane, but I feel like I'm getting STOLEN from or something if there is food around that's free and I don't eat it.

I have curbed that with food like Little Debbie snacks and other processed crap because I can't even stand that stuff now. But fresh baked good are a whole other issue.

Fortunately, what's laying around most of the time are crappy powdered donuts from local gas stations or the processed stuff...
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:04 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 350/296/125

Height: 177cm

I'm pretty competitive with myself so I make a list of all the crap my co-workers bring in and see how long I can get the list before I give in and take a piece. It got so long last year that I had to start another sheet. At least I have zero temptation for packaged stuff. Homebaked on the other hand... I was so angry they kept buying sugar for our office this past Christmas, I bought a box of mandarin oranges and replaced the sugary snacks with them.

It's just constant food food food food at my office and then they all complain about how unhealthy they are being and yet do nothing about it!
Skellig19 is offline   Reply With Quote