Old 01-27-2013, 10:03 PM   #1  
I can do this!

S/C/G: 242.5/137.5/145

Height: 5'3

Default MRC cookbook recipes, what's good?

I recently tried the honey mustard chicken and I loved it! I have tried some other things in the cookbook that I haven't been as fond about. What are your favorite recipes from the old or new cookbook? Or which ones do you think are not good that you have tried.
dkdaisybutters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:36 AM   #2  
Not giving up!

S/C/G: 123.5/no scale/happy & healthy

Height: 5'8"

Funny, I only just started making recipes out of the cookbook now that I'm almost done with program. Don't know why. But the last two recipes I tried were fantastic! I made a single serving of the taco chili. Good thing I was home when I had it in the crockpot, because even on low it began to burn around the edges after just a couple hours. The next time I made it I just put everything in a pot on the stove top, brought it to a boil and then simmered for a few minutes. Tasted the same to me. Yummy! Because I'm in stabilization now, I was able to add 1/2 C corn the second time I made it.

Then today I made the pizza! Oh I should have done that long ago! I love pizza! A few things I did differently then the cookbook: I used a tortilla instead of putting the ingredients on the bread or toast like the recipe said. Tortillas are round like pizzas after all, and actually since I'm in stabilization now and can have an extra portion of a starch, I was able to use a whole 80 calorie La Tortilla Factory whole wheat tortilla which is much larger and fits nearly perfectly on my personal sized pizza pan I use in the toaster oven. Oh, and I used 3 oz meat instead of 4, so I could add 1/2 oz cheese on top. Pizza's have cheese after all. And I used the whole package of tomato soup supplement and so was able to spread the sauce on nice and thick over my larger tortilla (and not worry about how to complete my other half a supplement requirement). And I sauteed the green onions, mushrooms and green peppers in a teaspoon of olive oil instead of microwaving them. I found about six ounces of them raw would have given me the four ounces cooked. I used plain, crumbled ground turkey that I'd pre-prepared and portioned out and sprinkled italian seasoning on top. Next time it would be awesome to put more effort into seasoning the turkey as it cooked to get more of a sausage flavor out of it. But overall I was thoroughly impressed with how much the overall affect was really like pizza. I'm totally making it again.

Sorry for the long post. It was yummy.
Going4Fit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:38 AM   #3  
Not giving up!

The chocolate mint smoothie recipe that uses the lemon-lime soda and 1 tsp mint extract was so bad I couldn't even drink it.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:07 PM   #4  
Not giving up!

The recipe for french toast in the cookbook needs re-working IMO. One slice of 45 calorie sara lee can't soak up two eggs, or even one I found out when I tried it that way instead. So here's what I do:

*Scramble two medium eggs in a bowl with a couple teaspoons water.
*Quickly dunk a slice of sara lee in the egg mixture and place on hot skillet. *Sprinkle with cinnamon, sugar substitute, and nutmeg. (I keep a salt shaker filled with 2 Tbsp Splenda and 1 tsp cinnamon that I use for cinnamon toast so I just have that and the nutmeg ready).

After I've cooked the french toast, I remove it from the skillet and add the remainder of the eggs and scramble them up, seasoning to taste.

Then I have a whole plateful of food - one slice of french toast with a nice amount of scrambled eggs on the side. Serve with Walden Farms Pancake Syrup - it's really good.

Last edited by Going4Fit; 01-28-2013 at 01:08 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:08 PM   #5  
I can do this!

S/C/G: 242.5/137.5/145

Height: 5'3

Thanks I will have to try the pizza I don't like the tomato supplement so maybe I could just use tomato sauce with no sodium since we can have cooked tomatoes now. I think the sausage taste would be worth it, the sausage in the cookbook is pretty good I did like that. I just started using the cookbook too and I almost almost done haha! I just tried some nacho thing in the beginning and it was so bad that I never cooked anything else until now. The buffalo chicken bites are really good! As far as the french toast I tried that too and it was too eggy and gross so that is a good idea for that too. The banana bread I didn't like at all it was nasty to me. Thanks so much for the ideas!Keep em coming!
dkdaisybutters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:03 PM   #6  
Not giving up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkdaisybutters View Post
Thanks I will have to try the pizza I don't like the tomato supplement so maybe I could just use tomato sauce with no sodium since we can have cooked tomatoes now. I think the sausage taste would be worth it, the sausage in the cookbook is pretty good I did like that. I just started using the cookbook too and I almost almost done haha! I just tried some nacho thing in the beginning and it was so bad that I never cooked anything else until now. The buffalo chicken bites are really good! As far as the french toast I tried that too and it was too eggy and gross so that is a good idea for that too. The banana bread I didn't like at all it was nasty to me. Thanks so much for the ideas! Keep em coming!
If you're almost done, you'll get to add dairy soon and mixing some of your allowed milk with the eggs really helps the french toast.

Hmmm, I wouldn't know how to exchange the tomato sauce for the amount of veggies though. Just ounce for ounce? If your sauce was part of the veggie weight limit that would actually really help those of you reading who still have to have the smaller 50 calorie tortilla because it was hard enough to pile all the veggies and meat on the larger 80 calorie one.

Although I think how thick the supplement was (since I didn't water it down too much) really contributed to the mouth feel of the whole arrangement since a tortilla isn't thick like a pizza crust. So actually I think I'd use tomato paste! Now I've got to go look for the sausage recipe in the cookbook!
Old 01-28-2013, 08:22 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 257/220/180

Height: 6' 0"

I like the Texas chili. I think it is a good way to use the tomato soup and I always feel so full after eating it.
Laura M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:47 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 340/205/190ish

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going4Fit View Post
The recipe for french toast in the cookbook needs re-working IMO. One slice of 45 calorie sara lee can't soak up two eggs, or even one I found out when I tried it that way instead. So here's what I do:

*Scramble two medium eggs in a bowl with a couple teaspoons water.
*Quickly dunk a slice of sara lee in the egg mixture and place on hot skillet. *Sprinkle with cinnamon, sugar substitute, and nutmeg. (I keep a salt shaker filled with 2 Tbsp Splenda and 1 tsp cinnamon that I use for cinnamon toast so I just have that and the nutmeg ready).

After I've cooked the french toast, I remove it from the skillet and add the remainder of the eggs and scramble them up, seasoning to taste.

Then I have a whole plateful of food - one slice of french toast with a nice amount of scrambled eggs on the side. Serve with Walden Farms Pancake Syrup - it's really good.
Thanks Going4Fit I'm going to make that for breakfast!! :-)
Keylani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:51 AM   #9  

Going4Fit
Thanks!! I made the french toast this morning..minus sweetner...it was awesome!!!! I didn't even think of that..duh!

DELICIOUS!!
Old 01-29-2013, 08:02 PM   #10  
Not giving up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keylani View Post
Going4Fit
Thanks!! I made the french toast this morning..minus sweetner...it was awesome!!!! I didn't even think of that..duh!

DELICIOUS!!
So glad the french toast worked out for you. You're right - no need to add the sweetener if you're going to pour the Walden Farms pancake syrup over it! I didn't even think of that..duh!

I made the turkey sausage from the cookbook so I could have the pizza again today. Yummy! Love having a new dish I can rotate into my regulars, and it gets me eating a different selection of cooked veggies than my usual green beans, broccoli or cauliflower.

BTW, I've measured it out twice now and have learned if I buy the 99% extra lean ground turkey by Jennie-O that comes in the 20 oz packs, the cooked weight equals 1 lb so you get exactly 4 four ounce portions from it. That's so convenient - love it!
Old 01-29-2013, 10:15 PM   #11  

Oh that's awesome Going4Fit...I need to buy that cookbook!! Can't wait to eat my french toast for breakfast again in the morning lol...that's sad that I'm already thinking about breakfast and I haven't even gone to bed yet LOL
Old 01-31-2013, 02:51 PM   #12  
Not giving up!

The center e-mailed out a recipe that I didn't see in the cookbook, so I think it's okay to share publicly. It's for breakfast:

Smashed Potato and Egg
  • 1 medium egg, cooked over easy
  • 1 ounce cheese, shredded
  • 2 oz diced and boiled red potatoes with skin
  • onion powder, garlic powder, reduced-sodium taco seasoning
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  1. Weigh out 2 oz of boiled potatoes and smash with a fork and sprinkle generously with a dash or two of the seasonings.
  2. Brown potatoes in a skillet with the oil.
  3. Smother with the cheese and cook until melted.
  4. Top with the egg.
Replaces 4 oz protein, 1 starch. Serve with an HNS drink for a complete breakfast on Meta-Slim.

First time I made this according to directions, cooking my egg in a heart shaped mold to put on top and making it for each family member. Too fun. See the picture (sorry my lens was so dirty!) Today I skipped smashing the potatoes and pre-cooking the egg. I put the diced potatoes in the skillet after weighing them out and sprinkled the seasonings on and browned them, then just scrambled the egg and threw it in the skillet and cooked it altogether, throwing the cheese in after the egg had cooked. Quicker and easier when presentation isn't key. Never would have occurred to me to exercise the potato starch option for breakfast. Yummy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Breakfast Hash.jpg (31.9 KB, 31 views)
Old 01-31-2013, 09:11 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 225.5/179/150

That sounds yummy Going4Fit! I'm gonna try it, miss my fried taters and this sounds like the perfect fit. Thanks for posting it!
Work In Progress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:19 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 225.5/179/150

Tonight I had the Cool as a Cucumber Salad from the cookbook for my veggie side and it was great! Here's the recipe...

COOL AS A CUCUMBER SALAD

4 oz cucumber, chopped
3 oz tomatoes, chopped
1 oz green onion, chopped
1 tsp canola or olive oil
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 pkgs zero calorie sweetener (I used 2 pkgs but it was a touch sweet so I'm going to reduce it next time to 1 pkgs)
salt and pepper to taste
tabasco to taste (optional)
fresh dill to taste

Chop cucumber, tomatoes and green onion; mix together.
Mix the rest of the ingredients together and shake well. Drizzle on vegetables. Chill for about 30 mins to blend flavors.
Servings: 1
Replaces 8 oz vegetables
Work In Progress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:16 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 260/174/160

Height: 5' 5''

I know it sounds crazy, but the Kraut Burger is amazing. I dip it in Dijonnaise and it is just wondefully moist. Sometimes that ground turkey breast is pretty dry, but this recipe really adds moisture!
peg51 is offline   Reply With Quote