Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-27-2013, 04:06 AM   #1  
thinking skinny

S/C/G: 319/275.3/159

Height: 5'7

Default bustin' my butt for 165 calories?

So, I just joined a gym last week and have made it out 4 times already. (I haven't been able to do more than 30 minutes on just the treadmill without feeling like I'm gonna pass out.) Mostly everything I'm reading is saying for the best weight loss I should be looking to burn 500 calories a day at least yet 30 minutes on the treadmill, huffing and puffing, sweating like a maniac burned 165. Any tips for me?
yourbffmegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:14 AM   #2  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I really don't know how accurate my info is, but would you consider doing the elliptical? It's not as demanding but does seem to burn a lot of calories. Also, look up High Intensity Interval Training. You would do a workout where you sprint for about 30 or 45 seconds as fast as you can go. Then you walk until your heart rate drops back down to a normal amount. You repeat this about 7 or 8 times. I've read in several places that this burns actual fat 3X faster than doing high impact the entire time. I wouldn't place that much emphasis on the number of calories burned but more on how your burn them.

Also, you don't just burn calories at the gym. There are so many other ways you can burn calories. Just keep moving as much as possible throughout the day. Also, if you can do some strength training, you'll burn a lot more at rest as your body builds more muscle.

I'm amazed that you can run for 30 minutes. Running is just too hard for me! Don't be so hard on yourself. Oh, and I just noticed your weight. If your machine says 165 calories, that's based on a 150 lb person working out. Since you weigh more, you're burning more calories than that, so forget that number. Way to go!

Last edited by luckymommy; 01-27-2013 at 10:15 AM.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:28 AM   #3  
thinking skinny

Thank you!!

Also, should have clarified. I'm briskly walking 5 minutes, jogging 5 minutes, "briskly jogging" 10 minutes, jogging 5, briskly walking 5. I'm going relatively quick but I definitely wouldn't call it straight running. totally not there yet.

Last edited by yourbffmegan; 01-27-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:33 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 229/see ticker/135

Height: 62 inches

Are you using a heart rate monitor to gage your calorie expenditure? I know I've seen a lot of people use those.

I don't know how accurate the counters are on the machines.

You may be burning more than what the reading is saying.
RavenWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:44 AM   #5  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

You're better off not looking at exercise as solely a way to burn calories. Look at it as a way to get fit and healthy. If you're slogging through a workout just to burn calories, then you're not going to want to stick with it.

Weight training for example, burns less calories during the exercise than cardio. However, health wise, it's much better for us, I happen to enjoy it, and I love feeling strong, so I keep at it.

I don't even know how many calories I burn when I work out--nor do I care to. I care more about the other benefits--feeling strong, being fit, etc.--than about how many calories my workouts burn.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:47 AM   #6  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Great points by Sontaikle - exercise/activity of all forms is great for our bodies, but to look at it to really help with weight loss will be frustrating - it'll definitely help with toning, shaping, strength, etc., but maybe just work to be as active as you can and look more to diet/food intake for weight loss. Good luck!
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:36 PM   #7  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

I would ignore the "calories burned" on the machines at the gym, or at the very least not put too much stock in it... Instead I would just focus on establishing a regular exercise routine that I could maintain and hopefully one that I enjoyed, or at the very least didn't seem like torture to me...

Building endurance and strength take time. For me I found that when I just looked at working out as a means to an end such as how many calories I may have burned it just wasn't enough to keep me motivated in the long term... Where as when I approach a workout with the mind set that this is moving me towards building my endurance and strength... than how many calories I burn doesn't really matter all that much because I'm achieving my ultimate goal of becoming more fit...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:39 PM   #8  

I agree with the ignoring calories burned on the machines. My treadmill still says the same info for 60 mins. walked as it did 100lbs ago. Obviously my body is lighter and more efficient than when I started (plus I am not pulling that 100lbs with me anymore).

I'd concentrate on getting your time in and doing like you are doing with the run/walk segments and your body will love you for it.

A heart rate monitor is a good suggestion too.

Just don't get so frustrated that you quit, that's all. It's about so much more than the 165 calories the machine is telling you.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:06 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 210/185/137

Height: 5'8"

That doesn't seem accurate for 30 minutes on the treadmill given your height and weight. The gym machines aren't really that accurate, but are you punching in your info before you start? That could help at least. Ideally, a heart rate monitor would be the most accurate.

How do you feel when you're working out? Is your heart rate up? Do you feel tired after ? If you feel like you're getting a good workout I wouldn't let the burn get you discouraged.
gymrat05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:35 PM   #10  
thinking skinny

Thanks everyone. First of all, I went harder today than any other day and it said 115 calories. It's a bi polar machine. Lol. I'm sweating and feeling good. So, I'll stop stressing.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:04 PM   #11  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

I found this today http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc You can put in your weight and the exercise you are doing and for how long and it tells you how may calories you burned. I am not sure how accurate it truly is but hopefully its close.
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:44 PM   #12  
Restart 11/2012 at 153lbs

S/C/G: Hw194/Sw160/Cw120/gw125

Height: 5'2" on the dot!

30 mins Sounds good if u just recently started at the gym, but if u r looking for more calorie burn try the elliptical, u will probably burn at least 3 times more calories in the same time.
chubbiegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:55 PM   #13  
Warrior Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbiegurl View Post
30 mins Sounds good if u just recently started at the gym, but if u r looking for more calorie burn try the elliptical, u will probably burn at least 3 times more calories in the same time.
^This.

I prefer running but some of the ellipticals burn more calories.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:00 PM   #14  
Warrior Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfire View Post
I found this today http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc You can put in your weight and the exercise you are doing and for how long and it tells you how may calories you burned. I am not sure how accurate it truly is but hopefully its close.
Great link. Seems pretty accurate from what the treadmill w/ heart monitor tells me for my weight. I would burn 300 more cals on the elliptical...seems I should spend a little more time doing that.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:56 AM   #15  
thinking skinny

Thank you! (Just checked out the calculator and I'm liking that number a lot better lol)