Old 01-25-2013, 09:11 PM   #1  
Freedom from Food

S/C/G: 170/170/138

Height: 5'7" size 12

Default Surgery Tuesday, any ideas? encouragement welcome!

Hi there! here is my problem: I'm great with IP non-restricted packets and drinks. I can eat a salad every day, and some celery or red pepper. I manage a little tuna, or salmon, and can deal with chicken once a week maybe; no beef.
I know I should be eating more veggies but start to have a gag reflex when I eat them raw, plain; even WF dressings start to taste like chemicals. I used a little "real" dressing, considering it some essential oil.

Any ideas? Going into surgery I have eight weeks with no exercise, and it will be very hard to stand in the kitchen and prepare food. I will be good on packets, and simple salads. Has anyone worked the IP like that and still lost okay?

Any thoughts or advice is welcome.
Purrfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:22 PM   #2  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

No advice is needed as you're totally working it already. You really should NOT be doing a lot of exercise on IP so don't feel it is a limitation. Your limitation will be in your mobility, so get some things to help you. If you don't have a 'magic bullet" or something like that, get one so you're not having to "shake" things if that would injure your healing. You also will be drinking lots so is going to the washroom going to be a problem? (don't need to know -- just asking a 'hypothetical' question
I would also just make sure you talk to dr about your vitamins before surgery. I know some vitamins (Vitamin E I think?) isn't good to take before surgery and I'm not sure if that's due to thinning blood, or incisions not healing -- but there ARE some vitamins that you shouldn't take.

On the other hand, my friend recommended I take "Arnica" before my surgery -- orally and as a cream on the area that was going to be bruised. I remember it being sweet, so it may be too sugary, but the cream maybe would be something to consider. You use it before your surgery, but then also after on any parts not covered by the bandage

The good thing about your 'recovery time' is you'll have time to come visit 3FC, read past threads, get some new recipe ideas etc. Enjoy that "down time" to relax, rest and heal.

Oh, just thought: make up some veggie purees, some pancakes or muffins, and freeze them now so that whoever is your "gopher" can just nuke you your IP friendly food.

Last edited by IP43; 01-25-2013 at 09:25 PM.
IP43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:07 PM   #3  
Freedom from Food

That was helpful, I didn't consider freezing things like the pancakes, etc. Good idea!!
I really keep reading how it is so vital to get in all the veggies, and I kinda don't think I'm doing enough of that although I do get 3 cups in with the lettuce and celery. Maybe that is good. Enough.

I did just find a protein cheese sauce from UNJURY, and it fits the profile for an IP food. I'm thinking i may be able to steam broccoli and cauliflower and use this on it, if that is as good as people "say" it is, WOW that would be a nice addition to the program. Imagine it on the Rotini?

I prefer to use as many IP products as I can, just add a few proti products that match numbers for cost control. Mentally, using IP feels more pure.

I hope others will respond, too, thank you.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:19 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 282/268/165

A person can only eat so much raw veggies. But when I eat sauteed mushrooms or asparagus with garlic and olive oil, or sesame oil, I feel like I'm splurging. I too worry about getting tired of the same foods. I'm not eating salad for lunch and dinner, only one or the other. I have a long haul ahead of me and am only on day 5! Do you have a Foreman grill? They are awesome for cooking a lot of meat and putting it in the frig for salads. I do not eat WF dressing much. I bought 1 bottle and then I saw there are many recipes and so easy to make and tastes so much better and it's an easy way to get olive oil in. The salad dressings are delicious (i.e., olive oil, apple cider vinegar, garlic, basil, splenda). Good luck to you and I hope you recover quickly!
cjennyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:22 PM   #5  
babybat

Height: 5'7

maybe you could go on weight watchers, I have NO experiences with it but I believe they deliver the food to your door already prepared?

Or make simple foods like salads or frozen dinners like weight watcher 'smart ones' they have them in most stores
(at least here)

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR SURGERY

Last edited by Babybat; 01-25-2013 at 10:22 PM.
Babybat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:26 PM   #6  
Starting over: 7/29/2015

S/C/G: 257/251/150

Height: 5'3"

I will admit that I don't always get my 4 cups of veggies in, either. Sometimes I just can't stand the thought of MORE vegetables. My weight loss is fine with me. I could possibly lose faster if I was more vigilant, but I'm doing what works best with me.

The idea of freezing pancakes is great! Have you made any muffins from packets? I would think they could be frozen, too. One person on here says she always adds 1/2 c. of shredded zucchin to her muffins (which I think is a genius idea to hide the veggies somewhere!)

Here is the recipe for pudding cakes, which I found on this site:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
-In a blender, combine (2) egg whites, (1) t. vanilla and 2 oz. of water. Blend well
-Pour liquid contents into a bowl, and gently fold in pudding packet. I usually add a little powder, mix it up, add a little more, etc... The final result is a "batter" similar to brownies.
-To bake, I use (2) small corning ware dishes, you could also make them in a muffin tin, and divide them into (3) equal muffins. I spray the bottom of the dish with Pam so the cakes won't stick.

The cakes will get VERY large while baking, and will deflate when cooling. If you put too much batter into a small baking dish, your cakes will literally explode in the oven. It is VERY important to only fill the baking dish or muffin tin 1/2 way. Which is why you will get 2 small cakes or 3 muffins.

-Bake at 350 for 15-16 minutes. Let cool and enjoy a mini cake.

I hope your surgery goes well, and your recuperation is short and easy!
tam67green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:30 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 219/141/130

Height: 5'1''

Look through the recipe threads for veggie ideas. Lisa adds zucchini to her muffins/pancakes, that is a great way to get veggies in...also, lots of people add spinach to their chocolate drink in the morning and cannot taste it. Look at the thread for "What are you eating today, ipeeps" and the recipe threads. Great ideas from others getting in their 4 cups of veggies (it is impt to get them all in each day for your health and digestion). Good luck with your surgery and I wish you a swift recovery.
WorldTraveleronIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:32 PM   #8  
Freedom from Food

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjennyh View Post
A person can only eat so much raw veggies. But when I eat sauteed mushrooms or asparagus with garlic and olive oil, or sesame oil, I feel like I'm splurging. I too worry about getting tired of the same foods. I'm not eating salad for lunch and dinner, only one or the other. I have a long haul ahead of me and am only on day 5! Do you have a Foreman grill? They are awesome for cooking a lot of meat and putting it in the frig for salads. I do not eat WF dressing much. I bought 1 bottle and then I saw there are many recipes and so easy to make and tastes so much better and it's an easy way to get olive oil in. The salad dressings are delicious (i.e., olive oil, apple cider vinegar, garlic, basil, splenda). Good luck to you and I hope you recover quickly!

You sound pretty savvy for just being on day 5!! You should do well with this program; the first week is so inspiring b/c you get to lose so much. Can't wait to see your first weigh in!

Hmmm, I like the idea of making my own salad dressings. I am not fond of meat, which probably seems odd on such a diet, lol! I did IP for the first time after YEARS of relentless exercise, calorie counting, juicing, starving. It has been the only plan that really kept my weight coming off, and kept me from feeling totally deprived.
This round (i gained back because I didn't follow the final phases, I went on a cruise and by day 4 I ate everything. Then I came home and went steadily downhill. This time I am really addressing the REASONS i use food, like a drug. I feel really strong this time in overcoming this addiction!) so again back to "this round": I had tried vegan food for awhile thinking that was the answer (it is extremely healthy) but while I didn't stick to it or lose much weight, I lost interest in meat. Especially after watching things like Food Inc or Forks vs Knives!
So I'm using some shrimp, salmon a little, tuna and occasional organic chicken; but I don't really like it all that much. So, I am relying on the packets more.
I hope that's okay! I guess I shall see. Thanks!!
Old 01-25-2013, 10:36 PM   #9  
Freedom from Food

Quote:
Originally Posted by tam67green View Post
I will admit that I don't always get my 4 cups of veggies in, either. Sometimes I just can't stand the thought of MORE vegetables. My weight loss is fine with me. I could possibly lose faster if I was more vigilant, but I'm doing what works best with me.

The idea of freezing pancakes is great! Have you made any muffins from packets? I would think they could be frozen, too. One person on here says she always adds 1/2 c. of shredded zucchin to her muffins (which I think is a genius idea to hide the veggies somewhere!)

Here is the recipe for pudding cakes, which I found on this site:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
-In a blender, combine (2) egg whites, (1) t. vanilla and 2 oz. of water. Blend well
-Pour liquid contents into a bowl, and gently fold in pudding packet. I usually add a little powder, mix it up, add a little more, etc... The final result is a "batter" similar to brownies.
-To bake, I use (2) small corning ware dishes, you could also make them in a muffin tin, and divide them into (3) equal muffins. I spray the bottom of the dish with Pam so the cakes won't stick.

The cakes will get VERY large while baking, and will deflate when cooling. If you put too much batter into a small baking dish, your cakes will literally explode in the oven. It is VERY important to only fill the baking dish or muffin tin 1/2 way. Which is why you will get 2 small cakes or 3 muffins.

-Bake at 350 for 15-16 minutes. Let cool and enjoy a mini cake.

I hope your surgery goes well, and your recuperation is short and easy!
Thanks for the well wishes, I hope so too!! I LOVE the idea of using shredded zucchini in the pudding cakes. I suppose they would freeze well, maybe even make them better after freezing. I am absolutely giving that a try, and I'll let you know how it comes out!
Old 01-25-2013, 10:39 PM   #10  
Freedom from Food

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldTraveleronIP View Post
Look through the recipe threads for veggie ideas. Lisa adds zucchini to her muffins/pancakes, that is a great way to get veggies in...also, lots of people add spinach to their chocolate drink in the morning and cannot taste it. Look at the thread for "What are you eating today, ipeeps" and the recipe threads. Great ideas from others getting in their 4 cups of veggies (it is impt to get them all in each day for your health and digestion). Good luck with your surgery and I wish you a swift recovery.
I have seen people talk about adding the raw spinach, just sounds so icky...but I am going to give it a try. That would be a great way to get a cup in painlessly, more or less!
thanks
Old 01-25-2013, 10:46 PM   #11  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

The spinach SOUNDS icky, but really, as a "non-believer" I tried it and it's fine. I always found it a bit grittier if I didn't blend enough, or put too much in, but if you blend the crap out of it, or add more water or ice, and put it in a "coffee mug" if the colour bothers you, it's all good. Some people add extra syrups etc. (Davinci, Torani? WF) to add extra flavour.

You have time to thinly slice zuchinni chips and then the time and maybe patience to let them cook for 3-4 hours on the lowest oven setting you have. SO become the master of "making veggie chips". You need time and patience for those yummies -- but you got lots of those!

Will be thinking of you Tues and sending special prayers your way, if that's okay (gonna do it anyway so not really askin'

Please check in when you rest a bit and feel well enough to chat with us and let us know how you're doing
IP43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:11 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by tam67green View Post
One person on here says she always adds 1/2 c. of shredded zucchin to her muffins (which I think is a genius idea to hide the veggies somewhere!)
I add a WHOLE cup of zucchini to my muffins. I sautée a little first b/c I like it softer. I add it more for the texture than to hide veggies. At this point, I'm not forcing veggies. It's very easy to get at least 4c/day and I have to carefully measure so I don't go over. THIS is what following IP correctly has done for me!

I'd freeze muffins AND pancakes. Make a bunch of caulimash and freeze that. Scour the recipe threads for ideas. How about freezing some veggie soup?

One more thing: lettuce doesn't count in your 4 c veggies. Not enough nutrition there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purrfect View Post
I have seen people talk about adding the raw spinach, just sounds so icky...but I am going to give it a try. That would be a great way to get a cup in painlessly, more or less!
thanks
For spinach smoothie, try the dark choc pudding. I mixed mine up with cold decaf instead of water. I use 1-2 spinach but start with one. If you could taste the spinach, I'd hate it. Raw spinach has very little taste. Dk choc was my fav over milk choc or Cappucino or choc drink, but I tried all. I was never sure about the lighter colored drinks with spinach. The pudding mix REALLY froths in the blender. It made 2 BIG tervis tumblers so I could drink on it all morning <sigh...missing that all over again>
Make sure you really liquify that spinach before putting in any ice. After you've proven to yourself the spinach is NOT icky, you'll be blending the whole thing together without liquifying first.

Last edited by lisa32989; 01-26-2013 at 06:57 AM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:38 AM   #13  
11/30/2015

S/C/G: 143/see ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
thanks
I do raw spinach every morning in my shake and promise you can't taste it. There is something energizing about starting the day with something so healthy.
Suzali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:29 AM   #14  

Quote:
Hi there! here is my problem: I'm great with IP non-restricted packets and drinks. I can eat a salad every day, and some celery or red pepper. I manage a little tuna, or salmon, and can deal with chicken once a week maybe; no beef.
I know I should be eating more veggies but start to have a gag reflex when I eat them raw, plain; even WF dressings start to taste like chemicals. I used a little "real" dressing, considering it some essential oil.

Any ideas? Going into surgery I have eight weeks with no exercise, and it will be very hard to stand in the kitchen and prepare food. I will be good on packets, and simple salads. Has anyone worked the IP like that and still lost okay?

Any thoughts or advice is welcome.
hey there! I am almost eight weeks out from my surgery! I ahd to go off of IP per dr instructions for 3 weeks but I ended up losing anyway because my mind and body were trained to be careful as to what I ate! (a REAL NSV!!!) When I went to my first WI 6 weeks after surgery I had lost 18.8 lbs and was thrilled!!! The first thing you need to do is take care of yourself and do what you can. Healing is the most important thing. I measured and froze veggies, made tons of soup, stocked up on packets and was so prepared that I was ready to go. ((((hugs)))) to you on your surgery and healing and keep us updated as to how you are doing!
maezy1 is offline   Reply With Quote