Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-25-2013, 02:31 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 229/see ticker/135

Height: 62 inches

Default Outdoor Exercise in Cold, Wet Weather?

Do y'all do it? Or do you do something indoors instead?

I just started the Zombies Run 5k Training and I don't want to miss days and mess up my plan and potential progress. However, it is around 32F here, and forecast is calling for wet weather.

The program gave me today as an off day, and I'm to do the next session tomorrow, when the weather will likely be wet ON TOP of cold.

Any advice? I'm not comfortable going to the gym and hitting the treadmill to get the session in. It's either outdoors or skipped...
RavenWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:52 PM   #2  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Well if it's either outdoors or skipped... Then outdoors it is!

As long as you're dressed appropriately, exercising outside with temps hovering around freezing is fine... Plus it sounds like from what you describe tomorrow is going to be worse, so you might as well get it in today...

Enjoy!

Last edited by TripSwitch; 01-26-2013 at 10:05 AM.
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:39 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 280/265/140

Height: 5'6

Best bite the bullet. Cold weather is something that's always going to be around, assuming you live in a colder climate area.

Between living in IL and living in CO, I'd say that it's not all that bad as long as you keep yourself moving at a brisk pace, put on some layers, and do it during the time of day when it's warmest you'll be fine.

If you can get it in while it's not cold AND wet, even better. As Trip said, better to do it than not at all.
birdtostone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:24 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 350/296/125

Height: 177cm

The only time I don't go running outside is if there is ice on the road or sidewalk. I'm terrified of slipping! Otherwise, rain or shine, hot or cold, I'm out there. I've run in super warm temperatures and quite chilly ones. Get a thin rain jacket, some moisture-wicking base layers (I have a pair of tights I got suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuper cheap at a grocery store that I layer with my summer running capris. Then I have a lurid neon green long sleeve shirt I wear over a sports top and then a regular track jacket. All rather cheap!). Wear gloves if it's cold (so far I've just been using those dime a dozen "magic gloves" to cut the wind/moisture chill).

Above all, if you're out in the dark and it's wet/rainy. Get something reflective on! In my area there have been soooooo many pedestrians and runners hit by cars that I started dressing like a Christmas tree for runs!

Fresh air whether it's warm or cold, dry or wet, is so good for you! It's just invigorating being out in nature!
Skellig19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:30 PM   #5  

I agree, if it's outdoors or nothing, be brave and brace yourself for the cold! If you have the flexibility to schedule your run for middle of the day when the sun is out and it is warmest, try going then! Be sure to have the right workout gear. This article has some great examples of what to wear during winter runs:
How To Dress For Cold Weather Running

If you just don't like the crowds at the gym, try going super early or super late when they may not be as crowded, or a local rec center may not have as many people and are fairly cheap for a one time use.
Hope this helps and good luck on your training!!! You'll have to share how the race goes
Jentry07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:36 PM   #6  

Thanks y'all!

If I did "skip" the 5k training session, I would just do an indoor workout video instead. Problem is, it could be a couple of days before we get "better" weather, so I would miss it more than once. So...I will just bite the bullet as you said and get it done, no matter what!

Jentry07, Zombie Run 5k isn't an actual 5k race, but a training program to be able to do a 5k. It makes things more fun! I have the app on my phone and love it! You can check it out at http://www.zombiesrungame.com
Old 01-25-2013, 06:48 PM   #7  

I went walking outside yesterday and today, I'm so bored with my treadmill. I could swear I was borderline running as it was so cold and I just wanted to get it over with! And I can't/don't know how to run! I was so glad to get back home and defrost...brrrrrrrrrrrr!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:47 PM   #8  

It's been around 12F when I wake up. I still go for my walk/jog unless it is icy out.
TheLauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:50 PM   #9  
dirty labour daughter

S/C/G: 318/301/155

Height: 5'10"

Unless it's actually dangerous to be outside, I would do it. I repeat the quote 'There is no such thing as bad weather - just soft people' to myself over and over to psych myself up!
merilung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:01 AM   #10  
Trying for normal

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

It's ok to do a mix of stuff...as long as you do something. Get your runs in! I held off this week because I'm terrified of slipping - though I did go walking outside and played in the snow, etc. And I ran in the snow too when I just couldn't stand it anymore - I thought it would be melted but it wasn't, I was already dressed for a run - so I went. I can't seem to run on a treadmill for longer than 10 minutes or so.

I also went to rugby practice. Outside of course. Snow on the ground. Cold soupy mud. Rucking practice - where after you tackle you have to lie down on the ground. The cold, wet, snowy, muddy ground. After that running outside didn't seem so bad. :-)
AlmostMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:10 AM   #11  

Height: 5'8.5"

I love outdoors in the cold, wet weather... so yes, that is when I do outdoor exercise the most!!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:27 AM   #12  

Wound up not being wet, so I got my workout in outside, in the fresh air!

I am sooo not a treadmill person. It bores me to tears, and a tv or music does nothing for me in that case! I love getting my walks in outside!

Thanks for all the support! And I will definitely get my butt outdoors rain or shine, knowing others do it as well!!!
Old 02-01-2013, 07:54 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 224/ticker/140

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti in Seattle View Post
I love outdoors in the cold, wet weather... so yes, that is when I do outdoor exercise the most!!
Me too! I tend to do a lot more running in the winter when it's ridiculously cold outside. It's so nice to breathe in that crisp air!
augeremt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:55 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 224/ticker/140

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by merilung View Post
Unless it's actually dangerous to be outside, I would do it. I repeat the quote 'There is no such thing as bad weather - just soft people' to myself over and over to psych myself up!
Alternatively, "There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad gear."
augeremt is offline   Reply With Quote