Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 04:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 191/171/153 now 185/185/155

Height: 5'3"

Default Facing Menopause

I have not been told that I am starting menopause but I know it is coming. I am at the point where I am skipping months. It has only happened a couple of times so far but it is not comfortable. I looked forward to skipping but I had no idea that you still get the symptoms of TOM without the bother. I have been experiencing cramps even though I have only had cramps 2 or 3 times in my life (excluding contractions). I have the bloat and I feel like TOM can arrive at any time. Nobody told me this!

So, since I have felt miserable for the last couple of days I have given myself permission to go off plan. I don't really want to but it is easier to grab something easy than to stand at the stove. I can justify it all I want but in reality it would feel much better to come out of this with a # loss than a gain.

I need to get in control! It is 4:20pm and I have already eaten my calories for the day in junk. Waaahhhhhh!
Old 12-29-2012, 07:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 327/239.6/199

Height: 5'5"

I'm in the same boat. I just had blood work done a couple weeks ago to see where I'm at but haven't gone back for the results. I'm supposed to go for an ultrasound and see a gynecologist in the near future too. I went 3 months with no period but same as you had the cramps etc. Then I had my period so heavy for 2 days I could hardly move.

This has all really had an effect on my weightloss as well. Not because I'm going off my plan but because I seem to spend most of the month bloated. Dr. is looking at that too. I try really hard not to use it as an excuse to go off plan because I have to believe that if I am eating write and exercising eventually I will see better results.

I don't know how old you are but I'm 45 and the Dr. says this is a bit early to be missing but also says that my weightloss could have something to do with it because when you lose weight it can mess up your estrogen.

Here's hoping you can get back on plan quickly!!
Old 01-12-2013, 11:29 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 183/183/150

Height: 5'10"

I have been trying to figure all of this out and it seems info out there is jumbled at best. I was having horrible night sweats and flashes during the day. Also weight gain of 5 pounds in one day was so easy. I got the hcg drops and started the crazy 500 calorie day. didnt last on the 500 calories but had strange reaction to the hcg drops. Hot flashes, night sweats and mood issue all diappeared. Now doing 8 hour diet trying to eat well and taking hcg drops once a day just for menopause relied
Old 01-13-2013, 10:52 PM   #4  
Returning Fat Chick

S/C/G: 292/261/170

Height: 5'7"

I know what you ladies mean. I'm 44 but I had a hysterectomy 8 years ago. I was left with one ovary so I haven't had to use any medication to give me estrogen. But you know.... I never had any signs of pms when I did get my period...now it seems I get the tender breasts, the bloating, the craving, and yes, I can even be down right Bchy. To top that all off I've been getting night sweats for the last 3 years.
My sister in law gave me a hint that seems to work (sometimes ) She told me to watch my carbs. She noticed that when she had to many carbs in a day, she'd have night sweats. I started to note that in my daily routines and found that I had less severe night sweats when I didn't eat as many carbs?
Any way... Keep going ImImportant... Your doing fantastic, don't let a couple of bad day's get you down. Regardless of what the scale says, just brush it off and keep going. You are worth it
Old 01-14-2013, 12:31 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 255/ticker/185?

Height: 5'6"

This is one reason I really want to find a doctor that I can afford! I don't have insurance & I haven't had a physical in probably 4 years! I worry!!! I'm 48 & seem to be starting the change. I, too, have missed periods & mine are usually as regular as the sunrising in the east. I have always had cramps, sometimes just irritating other times horrible! Cramps when I was in HS & college made me miss school at least 2-3 days a month...
I agree that there's not a lot of clear/accurate information out there in regards to menopause. I think it's probably because just like every woman's TOM their experience & on-set is different. Yup, I've had the mood swings (wish they counted as exercise!!!), power surges (hot flashes) & it just really has me wondering.
ImImportant...I missed my TOM for 3 months then WHAM! Back it came with a vengence! I was curled up in bed with cramps & bleeding heavier than I had in years. I wish it would just make up it's mind & go away. Personally, I'm ready for the end of TOMs...37 years is long enough. Too long actually.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:56 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 184/174/120

Height: 5'4"

I'm only 48 but I went 4 years without TOM, but after moving to the city last month and started to drink cow's milk; I got my girly surprise this month.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:23 AM   #7  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Quote:
Originally Posted by azgypsy View Post
I'm only 48 but I went 4 years without TOM, but after moving to the city last month and started to drink cow's milk; I got my girly surprise this month.
Are you going to check in with the dr on that? It sounds pretty unusual. Not to say anything is wrong, but if it were me, I'd get checked.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:22 PM   #8  
3rd time's a charm!

S/C/G: 320/295/130

A menopause thread...just what I needed.

I'm 45, but started peri-menopause symptoms at 40. I thought it was too early but I read that while it's mostly hereditary, sometimes women without children can start early.

In 2010 I bled heavily for 42 days, and it upset me terribly, so I can relate to anyone who has that problem off and on, which I understand is to be expected.

I haven't had my cycle in 2 full months, and I'm actually hoping this is it. I read that it's not officially menopause until you go 12 months without having a cycle.

More recently, the night sweats were so bad that I sought HRT (hormone replacement therapy), but the warnings and risks seem too high, I don't want to take them. Natural remedies haven't done anything.

I've been having hot flashes and other symptoms for the past 5 years, so I'm surprised to see 45 year olds who are surprised to start having symptoms! Welcome to my world! ha! ha!

Except for that one time with bleeding, I've not had anything too, too extreme (knock on wood), but the sleep disturbance due to body heat have become annoying. And this month, the emotional roller coaster is also pissing me off!

Don't you hate it when you start crying, and you know it's just the hormones messing with you, then you get really mad, but you are still crying?! Frustrating! This must be the adult version of a child's temper tantrum - blind frustration!
Old 01-24-2013, 02:39 PM   #9  

S/C/G: BF% 37.6/see sig/BF20%

Height: 5' 9"

Ladies,

I was told at 41 that I had begun peri. That was almost exactly one year ago(birthday present). My mom was 55 when she stopped and my sisters are 51 and 53 with little-to-no signs of even peri!! Guess I'm an overachiever!

Here's my current experience AND a lot of TMI....
Earlier this month I had ultrasounds and they found fibroids, cyst, thick lining. So - had to have an endometrial biopsy yesterday. It was quick, painless and easy. Thankfully I have kept detailed notes of the last 6 months and schedules going back almost 2 years and the dr could use that to assist in my diagnosis. He says that I have probably have had borderline PCOS my entire life but now with my aging hormones...it's finally manifested with horrific cramps, a heavy, heavy flow, irregular cycles that are closer and closer together and longer. Even though the results of biospy won't be back until Monday the dr is going to go ahead and schedule a hydrothermal ablation since it takes 1-2 months to get a surgery date. Also - just looking at the sample - he could tell that I wasn't a good "slougher". I had just finished my TOM but there was way too much still in my uterus. My body thought it was done, but really only did half the job. Apparently that's how the lining just keeps building up. He said my body was almost working. After ablation the best chance scenario: no period for 4-5 years. If it starts again after that long, he'll do another ablation and that should put me past meno age. Worst case: doesn't work and I am right where I am now...or look towards a hysterectomy. Or if results are not good on Monday - a hysterectomy first.

My other option was hormones 1-2 times a day until menopause. Basically for who knows how long. I'm not a big fan of HRT, so...opted for ablation. I figure I'm not using the lining anymore (already had my 2 kids). Better than more drugs every day!!
Unfortunately for the ablation I do have to take meds for 7 days to try and normalize my cycle and thin out the lining as much as possible prior to surgery. Yippee! When I filled my prescription the pharmacist informed me of all the possible side effects but all I heard was weight gain is a fairly common side effect of the HRT. When she said that I had an itsy bitsy panic moment. Thank goodness I only have to take 7 days worth! Or another 7 days the month after - depends on surgery date.

All of that to say: There doesn't seem to be a set norm for everyone BUT if it isn't normal for you - get it checked out!

Last edited by 2FatCats; 01-24-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:49 PM   #10  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

As I sit here with flushed cheeks, I read this thread.

My mother was completely through menopause at age 42. Her mother gave birth to my mother a month before her 42nd birthday, so hereditary or not to be having perimenopause starting at age 42? (I'm now 43).

Actually, symptoms (hot flashes) started when I was 39. But, I found out it was actually my thyroid. As soon as my thyroid was OK, the hot flashes stopped.

Fast forward 18 months and I miss my first period EVER except when I was pregnant. I too have been super, duper regular for nearly 30 years. It was convenient as that skipped period was during our European vacation - yay to no hassle that month.

Since then, my periods are anywhere from 4 weeks to 7 weeks apart. Even before then, signs of ovulation diminished. Am I even ovulating? Who knows.

What it really started to mess with was my weight loss pattern. I USED to have a regular pattern - hold steady 10 days, gain 4 days, hold steady for 4 days at a high weight and then WHOOSH for about 10 days - repeat. Now,who knows. Since our vacation, I hadn't been great with tracking as I wasn't doing well with eating... so who knows what it is now.

I "think" this month my body is gearing up to ovulate as I have been eating right and exercising daily and the scale has held steady - much like my patterns of yore, but who knows.

Add to that, my first skipped period came about 6 weeks after starting a new dosage of thyroid meds. 3 months after starting it and my hormone levels seemed ok, but is it OK for my body? Who knows!

So, I sit here with a red face and wonder if it's menopause or thyroid - either way, it's no fun!
Old 01-24-2013, 04:54 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 191/171/153 now 185/185/155

Height: 5'3"

I am using a free period tracking app so that I can share any patterns with my doctor on my visit next year. I skipped one full month then it came like clockwork the following month and was pretty much the same as always. No heavy flow, no cramps, no extended stay.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:00 PM   #12  

I'm not in menopause yet (I'm 37) but could be having a hysterectomy next month due to endometrial cancer. Trying to get pregnant with my first baby before the hysterectomy (please pray!).

I just wanted to post that I am on progesterone and the first side effect all of my cancer doctors warned me 10x over was about the risk of weight gain taking this medicine (it's actually used in AIDS patients for them as an appetite stimulator to gain weight). The last thing I needed was to gain more weight at that point (I was already 328lbs).

I can proudly say that my 98lb weightloss has all been done while on this weight gain inducing drug. Granted I am on a medically supervised diet but I was thinking the supervised diet would just help me not gain, I never dreamed I'd lose a pound (or almost a hundred!).

I'm so scared of being in surgical menopause and probably won't be able to do HRT as my cancer is hormone dependent and I have family history of breast cancer.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:14 AM   #13  
3rd time's a charm!

S/C/G: 320/295/130

@elvis Don't be "afraid" of menopause, it's different for everyone, and if everyone suffered so much, you'd hear about it more. That's the way I look at it. I encounter plenty of women over 40 and 50 and I rarely hear about it, and the last 3 years, I'm usually the only one who wants to talk about it. Plus there are alot of natural therapies to try and one of them might work for you.

Even some people think that the food they eat makes a difference with symptoms, which could be! If you've lost almost 100 pounds, then you know how food can affect more than just your weight.

Good luck with the surgery, I've read where it's relatively quick and painless these days.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:32 PM   #14  

Thank you, espressowhip. I hope the surgery is nothing too and I am hoping it can wait another 9 months.

I think I have just an overall lot of anxiety and fear of becoming an old woman to my husband sooner than later.

My oncologist is an amazing woman and she's been doing this for 30 years, I knew when I met her that she was the one for me. I know she will guide me in the right direction.

And I see her in 2 weeks, wait til she sees my weightloss!
Old 01-25-2013, 02:07 PM   #15  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Elvislover - I faced secondary infertility (which I know is WAY different than primary infertility as I had a child). It's still hard - especially when you know there is a true timer ticking.

I truly hope that you can get what you are hoping for, but if it doesn't happen, I hope you can grieve in a way that doesn't punish you or your body. I'm sure the menopause part of it is bothering you much less than the baby part of it.

I had a "ticker" too. We had a deadline of when I could get pregnant due to finances... that pressure doesn't help, unfortunately.
Closed Thread