Old 01-25-2013, 09:47 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 138/134/125

Height: 5'0"

Default IP vs. Tran Tien

I am confused. The IP diet and the Tran Tien diet appear to be slightly different things, but didn't Tran Tien start the IP diet??
Cleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:39 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 167/152/145

Height: 5'4

I'm very new here and currently go by the guidelines on the trantiendiet.com site. A Dr. asked me to follow these guidelines to lose some frustrating weight I can't seem to get off!! Plus, since I have insulin resistance, all Dr's point me to this diet becuase it seems to be the only one that works! Anyway.. the only differences I have noticed is that if you do Ideal Protien, you pay to work with a coach that will weigh you every week and give you feed back on your progress. And they start you off with purchasing the Ideal Protein products. Otherwise, it looks like everything is pretty much the same. No diary, no nuts, a protein packet in the morning, then a protein packet for lunch with 2 cups of allowed vegetables and all the salad you want with no more than two tbs of oil or if you do Protocol II on TranTien, you can switch your protein packet for lunch with a small amount of meat, fish or egg and also have the veggies and salad. Then if you need a snack in the afternoon you have a protein packet and for dinner you have 2 cups of veggies, salad and meat, fish etc. They have a list of allowed meats etc on the trantiendiet.com site. The trantiendiet doesn't have any alternative options like Ideal Protein does, but I'm slowly creating things that or allowed myself. Ideal Protein has the already made packets such as omelette mix, pancake mix, pudding, protein bars etc. I do have protein shakes, just not the Ideal protein shakes. I hope this helps!! And I hope I'm right.. ha! Have a GREAT day!!
DontGiveUp17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:55 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontGiveUp17 View Post
I'm very new here and currently go by the guidelines on the trantiendiet.com site. A Dr. asked me to follow these guidelines to lose some frustrating weight I can't seem to get off!! Plus, since I have insulin resistance, all Dr's point me to this diet becuase it seems to be the only one that works! Anyway.. the only differences I have noticed is that if you do Ideal Protien, you pay to work with a coach that will weigh you every week and give you feed back on your progress. And they start you off with purchasing the Ideal Protein products. Otherwise, it looks like everything is pretty much the same. No diary, no nuts, a protein packet in the morning, then a protein packet for lunch with 2 cups of allowed vegetables and all the salad you want with no more than two tbs of oil or if you do Protocol II on TranTien, you can switch your protein packet for lunch with a small amount of meat, fish or egg and also have the veggies and salad. Then if you need a snack in the afternoon you have a protein packet and for dinner you have 2 cups of veggies, salad and meat, fish etc. They have a list of allowed meats etc on the trantiendiet.com site. The trantiendiet doesn't have any alternative options like Ideal Protein does, but I'm slowly creating things that or allowed myself. Ideal Protein has the already made packets such as omelet mix, pancake mix, pudding, protein bars etc. I do have protein shakes, just not the Ideal protein shakes. I hope this helps!! And I hope I'm right.. ha! Have a GREAT day!!
IP is 1-2 tsp oil. Dr Trans site says TBSP. That's a pretty big difference but I know some folks who have stalled have found ADDING some fat helps so I bet the REALLY low fat of IP probably doesn't matter as much as the carbs (that's how Atkins works and it is BY FAR higher fat)
I also noticed some differences in allowed veggies.
But all-in-all, very similar.

I like IP b/c of the packet choices. Doing it from the website means getting your own protein powder (shakes/bars). IP simplifies. But it DOES cost. I'm just not sure it costs more than the out-of-control eating/drinking that got me fat! My $ is about the same at the end of the month.

The other thing I noticed is that the OP said they were confused. IP (with a good coach) reduces confusion, as well.

Last edited by lisa32989; 01-25-2013 at 11:56 AM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:24 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 138/134/125

Height: 5'0"

Thank you both! I was mostly curious about those differences in allowed oil and vegetables. In particular, the website allows green beans and tomatoes (other than cherry), whereas they are limited on IP. Those are my two fave veggies!!!
Cleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:39 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleary View Post
Thank you both! I was mostly curious about those differences in allowed oil and vegetables. In particular, the website allows green beans and tomatoes (other than cherry), whereas they are limited on IP. Those are my two fave veggies!!!
I'd say pick a plan and stick to it
The good thing for me about IP is I was forced to get out of my veggie rut and learn to use new ones!

Last edited by lisa32989; 01-25-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:23 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
IP is 1-2 tsp oil. Dr Trans site says TBSP. That's a pretty big difference but I know some folks who have stalled have found ADDING some fat helps so I bet the REALLY low fat of IP probably doesn't matter as much as the carbs (that's how Atkins works and it is BY FAR higher fat)
I also noticed some differences in allowed veggies.
But all-in-all, very similar.

I like IP b/c of the packet choices. Doing it from the website means getting your own protein powder (shakes/bars). IP simplifies. But it DOES cost. I'm just not sure it costs more than the out-of-control eating/drinking that got me fat! My $ is about the same at the end of the month.

The other thing I noticed is that the OP said they were confused. IP (with a good coach) reduces confusion, as well.
Thanks so much for letting me know the amount of oil allowed on IP compared to TranTien. That is a big difference and is why I've been questioning how much fat from calories should we be having on these diets. I'll be sure to cut back on the oil.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:25 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 282/268/165

Height: 5'6"

I honestly, on Day 5, am not as worried about the oil. Olive oil is good for you. I'm not drinking it, but I do make my own dressing, with no added sugars of course, and they keep me eating my salads happily. Everything is about balance. I personally have a long journey ahead of me, so I make small decisions that might veer slightly from plan (like the amount of oil) if I feel it's going to keep me on plan. And yes, I noticed that Tran Tien, who is the co-founder of Ideal Protein, does allow more oil, but less meat. I know what sugar does - it is evil! But a little added healthy fat, is not going to make me eat WF dressings. I mean, how do they make that stuff? It's a lot of chemicals and artificial flavors I guess.
cjennyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:48 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjennyh View Post
I honestly, on Day 5, am not as worried about the oil. Olive oil is good for you. I'm not drinking it, but I do make my own dressing, with no added sugars of course, and they keep me eating my salads happily. Everything is about balance. I personally have a long journey ahead of me, so I make small decisions that might veer slightly from plan (like the amount of oil) if I feel it's going to keep me on plan. And yes, I noticed that Tran Tien, who is the co-founder of Ideal Protein, does allow more oil, but less meat. I know what sugar does - it is evil! But a little added healthy fat, is not going to make me eat WF dressings. I mean, how do they make that stuff? It's a lot of chemicals and artificial flavors I guess.
I think I'm going to cut back on oil a little but like you, the WF dressings are just horrible to me. They taste so processed and just doesn't seem good for you to me. To cut back on oil, I have mixed a little oil into the WF dressing I bought, add some seasoning and then put it on my salad. I actually love veggies, so this part of the plan isn't very hard for me because I can roast or grill almost any veggie and be happy. But I add oil to it. I'm trying to come up with something differnet to put on my salads other than just oil.. I might try to roast some veggies with some yummy seasonings and then puree them with a little oil and see how that goes over salads.. I'll have to let y'all know. Thanks so much for all the info y'all are willing to provide!
Old 01-25-2013, 03:49 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 211/159/140

Height: 5'4"

I make a dressing consisting of half mustard (I buy a good quality French mustard) and half lemon juice. Add some pepper, shake it.
Lolo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:50 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 213.6/195.8/135

Height: 5' 6.5"

Hi! I have an off-topic question and was wondering if you guys can help.

If I switch my lunch and dinner, basically have my 5-8 oz protein and 2 cups of veggies for lunch, do I have to switch my vitamins/supplements as well?

Appreciate your help.
Thanks!
OneLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:38 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLove View Post
Hi! I have an off-topic question and was wondering if you guys can help.

If I switch my lunch and dinner, basically have my 5-8 oz protein and 2 cups of veggies for lunch, do I have to switch my vitamins/supplements as well?

Appreciate your help.
Thanks!
This has been asked recently. When questions are in off- topic threads, it is harder to search for answers

The answer was you can f you want. Not necessary. Supplements are broken up throughout the day for max absorption