Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 01-21-2013, 10:07 AM   #1  
Old Cackler

Default HEY where is everyone?

Where are the 'i gotta get on track' folks? the 'is this the right decision for me' thinkers? the 'am i doing it right' wonderers???

is everyone out living happily and well? or frozen in the snow?

WAKE UP!!!! come out, come out, wherever you are!!!

olly olly oxen free!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:00 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 375/319/140

Height: 5'7"

Smile

I was on here a few months back working towards getting my surgery. My surgery was 12/27 and I am doing great!
chickonamission2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:44 PM   #3  
1 day at a time =^.^=

S/C/G: 275/217/165

Height: 5'5"

Hello JiffyPop! I actually went for my first surgeon consult today, so I am on my way! I'm hoping on the first week of June for surgery!
justducky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:14 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 348/185/170

Height: 5.10/177cm

Hello Jiffy we're still here just haven't got much to say oh and yes I do have one news which Im really happy about....my mom is like 90% decided to have the surgery herself *doing the really happy dance* she needs it, her BMI is 36-37 but her main problem is her spine and knees. She really needs to lose weight so she can move around easier. For now she agreed to go to the first doctor appointment and then we'll see
Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:17 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 348/185/170

Height: 5.10/177cm

And one more thing...I still haven't hit 100 lbs...the scale just wont move...grrrrrrr I need three pounds...please scale give me that three pounds..pleaseeeeeeee lol
Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:02 PM   #6  
Releasing the inner hiker

Its the change of semester for me and so things have been hectic preparing for a new group of kids.

On another front, I have been doing ok with my goals. I've applied for an online teaching job and have another place to apply to this weekend.

This cold, though, is really aggravating my Reynaud's. Goodness, I HATE it. (For those that don't know, as a result of RNY, I developed a complication called Reynaud's Syndrome, which means my blood flow is compromised in my hands and feet. It can be very painful and there isn't much that can be done about it, apparently.)
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:06 PM   #7  

I personally haven't had much to contribute to this forum as of late, but I definitely still check back to read! Last time I was here I was talking about getting the ball rolling on a lapband, I'm now just past my first month of my insurance mandated six month supervised weight loss program, which is essentially just meeting monthly with a dietitian as we slowly but surely work on good habits for post surgery. At first I was very bummed that I'd have to wait six months, but now I'm actually glad! I think it's going to help my success a lot post op having had all of this wonderful one on one preparation and guidance.
thinkfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:02 AM   #8  
Old Cackler

thank you all!!! SEE?? you didn't think you had anything to say, but each and every one of you did!

CARLY - does your surgeon have any ideas for pushing through stalls? some folks up their water, and/or their protein, and/or do intervals. but with the breast feeding, that might make breaking through a bit more of a challenge.

CHICK-MISSION: 3 weeks out? have you moved to solid food yet? exercise? congratulations!!!

DUCKY: do you have to do the 6-month supervised diet thing? or just go through the appointments and clearances [a royal pain, but it's gotta be done]?

THINK: So... what sorts of things does the dietician have you doing? are you journaling? or following an eating plan, or what? i didn't have to do this part of it [insurance companies didn't mandate it years ago - if you had an extensive diet history - and mine ran 6 pages - you didn't have to see the doc for 3-6 months]

SLEEPY: you'll get your 3 pounds off - I PROMISE. what made your mom change her mind?

ZEIGEIST: why are you changing jobs? hope it goes well... about the Reynaud's - i had it going into the surgery, but it also has become more noticeable since. i HATE IT when my fingers start warming up again - IT HURTS! Layers help, of course, but it's really hard to layer up your hands. on my feet, i have compression stockings [long story], plus handknitted washable merino socks plus extra thick lined slipper booties -and am sitting next to the gas fireplace. brrrrr!!!!!!!

and now, i gotta explain something. After decades of living as an overweight person [varying from being able to wear a bikini to being 500+ pounds], and a decade moderating this forum, I've learned several things about people like us - who qualify for the surgery and who go through it...

here goes...

we don't talk much about what's going on with ourselves. As a group, we don't talk about the issues that are getting in our way, or the thoughts/emotions that either derail us or keep us moving. When there's silence for several days, I get concerned. Believe me, I'm guilty as well [with the added issue that i DO NOT want to make this forum all about MOI [because I'm boring].

so here's the bad news - i'm back to cheese and crackers, although i've added homemade soup to it. I've had this icky cold/bronchitis for the past couple of weeks, and that also means that my exercise tolerance has slid backwards again.

the good news: feeling better, and I'm trying to eat my main meal in the middle of the day, so that it's no big deal if it's cheese and crackers at night. And i'm eating when i want to - which means that i don't eat at normal hours. I DON'T CARE...

and the job hunt continues.

stay well!
Old 01-24-2013, 05:19 AM   #9  

Cheese and crackers are my downfall. I bought some cucumbers this week to substitute for the crackers. But winter cucumbers just don't compare to summer ones. I like to use Laughing Cow cheese, not because it is sooo delicious, but because I can limit myself to two wedges quite easily. Give me a block of sharp cheddar and I can easily consume 500 calories of cheese.

I'm not looking to replace my current job (which I love), but to supplement my income with a second job. I depleted my savings this year with a series of unfortunate issues, like major car repair, an aging dog and cat, and some home repairs. I hate living paycheck to paycheck; it scares me. So, I've been applying for some online positions, but haven't had any luck yet. Something will come up, that I am sure of. I just need to be patient.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:36 AM   #10  
Old Cackler

Carly - that's a lot of deployment! can you tell us where he'll be going? My nephew went to what he initially told me was a 'hot and sandy place.' didn't take much to figure it out. He finally 'fessed up, though [can't keep anything from his old auntie!]. And came back in one piece, but a bit sadder and wiser. That's what matters. sounds like you're plugging along - and i gotta wonder why anyone could schedule a regular support meeting at 2:30 pm. Parents with children need to be home, and other folks are generally working.

Zeitgeist - cucumbers don't do it for me. nor does celery. I guess the good thing is that i can actually limit myself to a fairly small amount - and if i eat 500 calories of cheese, it's a pretty safe bet that i'm not eating much else. thank goodness!

i hear ya on the job front - i've been freelancing for a year while looking for a job - and it's not easy. what sort of work are you looking for?
Old 01-25-2013, 05:45 AM   #11  

Jiffy, I'm looking to be an adjunct professor at the community college level or possibly do some online tutoring in my subject area. What sort of work are you looking for?

The cuke "crackers" are a bit unsatisfying for me as well, especially this time of year. I can't eat celery at all; I have never liked the texture.

I stumbled upon a recipe this past weekend that was quite tasty, a Hungry Girl "pizza." In essence, I cut a pepper in half, baked it until it was a bit soft, then put diced tomatoes, italian seasonings, and cheese on top. It was totally yummy.

Other than putting on additional layers, have you found anything to reduce your Reynaud symptoms?
Old 01-25-2013, 10:34 AM   #12  
Old Cackler

i've been a medical writer and editor for many years - and have specialized in continuing medical education. And decided to go back to grad school as no one will look at me without a doctorate.

Celery? can't stand the strings... that hungry girl pizza sounds quite good - i'll have to try it. i LOVE roasted peppers!

have you made fricadelle [i think that's what it's called]? make several small piles [a tablespoon or two] of some romano or parmesan cheese on a sprayed pan [or you'll never get it off!] and put it in the oven and let it melt into a circle - and let it get a little brown around the edges. Remove from the pan while they're still warm - they're sort of like crackers, but no carbs.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:38 AM   #13  
Old Cackler

and the reynaud's? i do everything i can to NOT get cold. when i feel my fingers getting cold, i check them for that lovely purple blue color - if the skin shows signs of changing, i immediately warm them up - pockets, gloves, warm water, a mug of something hot [ANYTHING hot] to hold onto. other than that, i have no idea what to do - [in fact, my fingers are a little cold right now, but still nice and pink, and i keep rubbing them and warming them up.]

what have you been doing?
Old 01-25-2013, 12:45 PM   #14  

Jiffy, as of now she just has me working on a few small things at a time. At the first visit, she had me start taking calcium citrate & a vitamin everyday plus work on eating three meals a day as I have a bad habit of skipping lunch. At the second visit, we decided to work more on developing the kind of habits you need post op, such as chewing every bite many many times, slowing down, making every bit of food count (you can only eat so much post op, so everything you DO eat should count etc), and specifically this month was to work on separating liquids from meal times. I hadn't realized that cereal would count for that, and since I eat cereal basically every day, my goal this month is 5,000 steps a day & finding healthy breakfast alternatives. I'm also journaling what I eat/drink, the time, and what I'm feeling at the time/if I tried anything else first(to help ward off emotional eating). Like I said before, I thought I was bummed about the long wait, but I can see it's going to help me so much later

I hope you get better soon! Nothing is more frustrating to me personally than when you actually want to exercise but you're just unable to. Plus, not being able to eat full meals isn't very fun either.

Last edited by thinkfit; 01-25-2013 at 12:46 PM.
thinkfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:20 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 375/319/140

Height: 5'7"

Hey Jiffy - Yesterday was my first day on a regular diet. Exercise - I am doing the stationary bike. I have worked up to 20 minutes at a time about 4-5 times a week (5.25-5.5 miles a day) up from two 10 minute sessions a day. As of today I have lost 23 since surgery (12/27) for a total of 56 including preop.
chickonamission2012 is offline   Reply With Quote