Old 01-12-2013, 04:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 182/150/144

Height: 5'2.5"

Default Help please on switching to Alternative Protocol

Cross-posting from the 100% thread as I realize some of the folks who have advice for me may not read that thread

Hi everyone-

I want to get opinions on something. I'm going to switch to IP alternative protocol. I think alternative protocol might be a better match for me. I debated doing it earlier, but was afraid to go out of ketosis because I was still far from goal and didn't want my weight loss to slow. I'm pretty close to goal now so I feel better about it and want to give the switch a try. If I switch to alternative protocol, do I need to go through Phases 2 and 3 first to reintroduce carbs into my diet? I now some of you understand the phase out and reintroduction of carbs issue so much better than I do. Thanks much for your feedback!

Just to clarify, I am talking about the alternative protocol for diabetics which involves 3 modes servings of carbs a day, one at each meal, and prevents the body from going into ketosis. I am not talking about switching to using alternative products to IP brand products.
Nolawhodatchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:19 PM   #2  
Started IP 7/9/12

S/C/G: 224/135/133

Height: 5'5"

Nola- I wouldn't think you need to phase out. I think phase 3 is way more carbs than the alternate phase 1. Also on the alternate phase 1 the additional carbs are spread out through the day versus phase 3's giant breakfast which is a big spike in carbs.
ragdoll74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:46 PM   #3  

Thanks Ragdoll! I wasn't sure. My plan was to baby step towards the alternative protocol as needed. I was going to try adding only 1 serving of carbs at just one meal, as someone suggested a couple of weeks ago (I think maybe you?) for a few days to see if that worked better for my body, then add a second at lunch if it didn't fix my energy problem, then a third at dinner if necessary. So I did it one day last week by adding a slice of bread to my breakfast. I had a HUGE headache for the rest of the day. Maybe coincidence, but it made me wonder if I did something wrong so I stopped after 1 day, 1 slice of bread. I thought maybe I was missing something about Phase 2 helping prepare you for the carbs in Phase 3, though logically it didn't make any sense to me. Maybe I'll start with 1/2 slice of bread this time!

Last edited by Nolawhodatchick; 01-12-2013 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:52 PM   #4  
Started IP 7/9/12

S/C/G: 224/135/133

Height: 5'5"

I think I suggest slowly adding in the alternate items. Maybe try the fruit or milk first since they have natural sugar and aren't processed like store bought bread.
ragdoll74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:55 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdoll74 View Post
I think I suggest slowly adding in the alternate items. Maybe try the fruit or milk first since they have natural sugar and aren't processed like store bought bread.
Probably a better idea than processed wheat bread, I didn't think of that. Silly me! Thanks again.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:54 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Also a wheat intolerance is very common. Many people (me included) can never add wheat back.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:06 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by patns View Post
Also a wheat intolerance is very common. Many people (me included) can never add wheat back.
If you don't mind me asking, what do you do for grains? Or did you just eliminate them? I strongly suspect I have a wheat sensitivity. My doctor actually had me do a Celiac test several years ago. It was negative but he said that doesn't preclude having a sensitivity.

Last edited by Nolawhodatchick; 01-12-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:55 AM   #8  

Was wondering how the Alternative Protocol is working out for you? I am considering switching to it myself. I have just a few more pounds to lose but am ready for a few more food choices in my meals.
SassyGirl424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:57 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassyGirl424 View Post
Was wondering how the Alternative Protocol is working out for you? I am considering switching to it myself. I have just a few more pounds to lose but am ready for a few more food choices in my meals.
I have more energy, which was my main reason for switching (I'm hypoglycemic and lack of energy was a real issue.) My tummy has been upset since I switched, don't know if it is the reintroduction of carbs or a stomach bug, though. It's only been about a week, so it's really to early to tell overall if it has impacted my losses. I think I'm down about a 1/2 lb for the week so far, but my losses have been slow lately anyway...I've had some weeks like this before switching so I can't read anything into it. I've also not reintroduced grains yet...tried and got a huge headache/bloating so I'm easing back into the carbs. But I have enough energy to get through the day which was the most important part for me.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:57 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Glad it's been going well for you (minus the upset tummy!) I've been thinking about switching to this plan too, I've been feeling lethargic and wanting to work out.

Last edited by djs06; 01-25-2013 at 09:58 AM.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:28 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolawhodatchick View Post
I have more energy, which was my main reason for switching (I'm hypoglycemic and lack of energy was a real issue.) My tummy has been upset since I switched, don't know if it is the reintroduction of carbs or a stomach bug, though. It's only been about a week, so it's really to early to tell overall if it has impacted my losses. I think I'm down about a 1/2 lb for the week so far, but my losses have been slow lately anyway...I've had some weeks like this before switching so I can't read anything into it. I've also not reintroduced grains yet...tried and got a huge headache/bloating so I'm easing back into the carbs. But I have enough energy to get through the day which was the most important part for me.
Glad you mentioned the hypoglycemia -- I am considered borderline hypoglycemic, so I also have that concern. I need to spread my meals out over the day more -- and, for me, that's tough to do with the regular IP Plan and my current work situation. I tried making the oatmeal muffins and the pudding muffins, to be able to bring them in to work with me, but neither one agreed with my palate.

Thanks for replying and sharing your story.
SassyGirl424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:49 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 211/159/140

Height: 5'4"

If you switch to ketosis, your body will over time upregulate the synthesis of enzymes needed to break down the fat bodies stored in fat cells and for use of proteins for gluconeogenesis. Because you eat lower carbs, the enzymes needed for carb metabolism may also be downregulated at the same time. So, you will likely experience indigestion/bloating in the beginning when you switch back. Also, I suspect that IP may change estrogen levels. This in itself can affect digestion of foods, particularly beans, broccoli, garlic, etc. I have found that Beano or a mix of digestive enzymes helps. You can also reintroduce pineapple as a carb source.
Lolo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:19 AM   #13  

I thought I would update on my experience on switching as there is very little info. in the archives on alternative protocol. End of second week, WI -1.2. Last week was -.8, weeks before were -1.4 and -1. So far, then, it looks like my loss rate is the same on alternative. I've been a slower loser all along, tho, and these losses are consistent. I've never lost more than 3 point something lbs in a single week on IP, and my losses slowed to around 1 to 2 lb per week range a couple of months ago. I seem to be losing inches faster than lbs, which is fine by me.

I haven't introduced grains back, yet, tho, as I tried and got a HUGE headache...but I think I'm wheat sensitive (I had a celiac test a few years back, I'm not intolerant, but dr said likely it's a sensitivity that would show up neg. on celiac.) I have been eating more of the higher carb veggies like rutabaga since the switch. As for the stomach problems I had after I switched, I believe that was not IP, but coincidental timing as my family caught a stomach bug right after.

So bottom line so far is I FEEL better, weight loss is about the same.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:39 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Thanks for the update! Have you added grains yet?
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:42 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolawhodatchick View Post
I thought I would update on my experience on switching as there is very little info. in the archives on alternative protocol. End of second week, WI -1.2. Last week was -.8, weeks before were -1.4 and -1. So far, then, it looks like my loss rate is the same on alternative. I've been a slower loser all along, tho, and these losses are consistent. I've never lost more than 3 point something lbs in a single week on IP, and my losses slowed to around 1 to 2 lb per week range a couple of months ago. I seem to be losing inches faster than lbs, which is fine by me.

I haven't introduced grains back, yet, tho, as I tried and got a HUGE headache...but I think I'm wheat sensitive (I had a celiac test a few years back, I'm not intolerant, but dr said likely it's a sensitivity that would show up neg. on celiac.) I have been eating more of the higher carb veggies like rutabaga since the switch. As for the stomach problems I had after I switched, I believe that was not IP, but coincidental timing as my family caught a stomach bug right after.

So bottom line so far is I FEEL better, weight loss is about the same.
You are doing very well! I noticed I hadn't answered about the grains. I also tested negatively for celiac but when I eat wheat I gain huge amounts of weight very quickly and I have no energy, I am a slug.
The grains I can tolerate are oats and rice, but I am not a huge fan of rice, it is not worth the carbs in it for me.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote