Old 01-24-2013, 12:45 PM   #1  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

Default what is a "massive amount" of vegetables?

a spin off thought from another thread.

I don't think of myself as someone who eats "massive amounts" of anything - that has a negative connotation to me, and even when it's a healthy food, I would consider it a binge.

On the other hand, I was just looking at serving sizes, and 5 broccoli florets is a 1/2 cup serving.

http://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/everyon...ables/cup.html

I routinely eat 4 times that amount, or more. But I don't see that as a massive amount, I think the designated serving size is ridiculously small esp. when you get the advice to fill at least half your plate with vegetables.

Maybe I am eating "massive amounts" and just don't feel comfortable calling it that?
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:36 PM   #2  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Since it's pretty much impossible for me to over eat green leafy and non-starchy vegetables I don't worry if I'm consuming them in "massive" amounts... I know for me personally that I didn't become overweight from eating veggies...

Unfortunately there are a lot of people out there who's only vegetables are French fries and ketchup, so for them consuming an actual salad and getting the recommended servings of vegetables would constitute massive amounts...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:39 PM   #3  
Living Intuitively

S/C/G: Heavy/Happy/Free

Height: 5'6"

Eh...maybe by Americans standards we do eat "massive" amounts of veggies. More power to you!
lunarsongbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:11 PM   #4  
ONEderland, I 0wn you!

S/C/G: 289/195/169

Height: 5'10"

I habitually eat 2-4 cups of broccoli, cabbage, various other veggies at meals. I don't think that's a "massive amount" of veggies. Seriously, if half our plate is supposed to be veggies, according to the CDC, then what size plates should we be using?!
Angihas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:59 PM   #5  
Determined

S/C/G: 227/207/125

Height: 5' 4''

I consider eating non starchy veggies a healthy success no matter how many I eat. I truly do not believe you can eat too many raw, plain, non starchy veggies (especially anything green). Whenever I crave raw veggies I get super excited because I feel my brain/body signals are becoming clearer and are no longer as confused as they once were.
Devoncroix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:48 PM   #6  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

I eat lots of veggies and salad -- and I don't worry about how much either becuz they are so low in calories and filling. Sometimes, I eat half a plate of veggies and a salad; and I try to have some kind of salad each day. I love homemade veggie soups too. Eat them and enjoy yourself ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 01-24-2013 at 04:50 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:09 PM   #7  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I eat 4-5 cups of veggies most days, recently. That is definitely more than the average American, but I don't consider it huge - I watch portion sizes carefully, but they are a cornerstone of my diet along with meat and fat.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:32 PM   #8  

S/C/G: HWK256/SW247/239/150

Height: 5'5"

I think anyone who regularly eats veggies, true fresh steamed or raw veggies is probably getting more than the standard American does. To me, No amount is too massive but i'm a vegetarian. I don't worry about the amount I'm eating, I'm only concerned about the amount of butter, sauce, or dressing used. From the amount you described I would hardly say that what you are eating is "massive" at least to me it isn't.
dancinginpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:43 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

If only I'd eaten "massive amounts" of good-for-you veggies all these years instead of normal size servings of pizza, cake, ice creams, chips, etc. I can't remember which post it was on, but it was a question about using portion control so they could include all foods in their diet plans. My point was that 1 oz of potato chips has the same calorie count as 2 cans of green beans with some calories left over if you ate the green beans. Plus, 1 oz of potato chips always leads to eating the rest of the ounces in the bag for me; i.e., a massive amount of potato chips.

My rule is that the lower on the glycemic index it is, the more of it I can eat. I rely on my calorie and carb counter to help lead the way.
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:56 PM   #10  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

I guess for me, the trigger was more about the idea of eating a "massive amount" of something, and that felt too much like a binge. Even when it's healthy veggies, and I agree it's unlikely that anyone is eating too many veggies. It's more about the idea of maintaining control - today, it's veggies, but for me personally, I would be worried that tomorrow, it could be something else.

I am not even on a "counting" diet, meaning I am not counting calories or carb grams. I have a list of allowed foods and i can eat those in whatever quantity I want, although there is some expectation to be reasonable about it. And to me, having my plate full of veggies falls into reasonable, not a binge.

But after reading these great responses and thinking it through some more, for me, it's more about feeling I am making a responsible and conscious choice about what and how much to eat. So while I might be eating the same amount of veggies as someone who self-describes as eating a massive amount, it's how I look at that in my own head is important to me, even more than exactly how much I'm eating.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote