Old 01-10-2013, 10:31 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #37

Good morning everyone. Well, it is still raining here and will continue throughout the day. I want some sunshine!!!

I finished Alicia's slippers, now just waiting on the yarn to make Jay's hat then I can send it all to them. They are in Mexico for the week to visit with her dad so I will wait until they get back. Right now I am back to knitting on my socks. They get put aside everytime I have something else I want to get done.

I am finding only one problem with my eating and that is I get really hungry in the evening. I know we eat really early, but I can't change that. Jack has breakfast and lunch so early that he wants to eat around 4 or he starts snacking then doesn't want to eat dinner. I will just have to work it out, I guess.

I have been sitting here at the computer wasting time this morning looking at new chairs for the living room. We are going to get rid of the couch eventually and get two chairs to replace them and keep the double recliner since we paid so much for it. I have never liked it, but Jack loves it and it isn't that old so it stays. Nothing wrong with the couch, but I want to free up space in this weird shaped room. We have no solid walls in this room. One wall opens into the kitchen, one wall is the back door and window, the other wall has the fireplace on it and the other wall has the doorway into the hallway. Besides that, everything is wanky. The fireplace isn't centered but at the hallway end with a nook and closet under the stairs. It is just really hard to place furniture so you can see tv and it not look ridiculous.

Well girls, I need to get those ole chores done. You all have a great day! Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:45 AM   #2  

Greetings from FL! I don't have time to read but wanted to say "hello." It's been in the 80s, sunny, and a little breezy -- so nice after cold Iowa. Have a great day . . . . whatever day this is!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:43 AM   #3  

Good morning, ladies! 65 and sunny right now.

Nothing happening today but the foot doc appointment and work so a boring day.

Faye, why not plan a snack in the evening into your day? There is nothing wrong with that. Try to include some protein with it and that should help with the hunger. We opted not to get a fireplace in our townhouse because it would have been in about the same position as yours so hard to arrange furniture.

Jean, oh for some warm FL weather right now. Enjoy it while your can.

Have a wonderful day, ladies!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:51 AM   #4  

Good morning everybody. It is warmer here today but still cloudy and will start raining again tomorrow and Sunday. Sounds like a lousy weather weekend. I have to go to Walmart's tomorrow, but other than that, nothing going on here.

I got the yarn for Jay's hat so started on it last night. It will be blue and gold like Notre Dame's colors then I am going to duplicate stitch an ND onto the fold up part. It is like a watch cap. It will have blue and gold stripes in the head part and the brim part with be solid blue with a gold ND. I hope he likes it. I am not a hat maker much.

I am having oatmeal and blueberries for breakfast this am. I am really trying to increase my fiber between grains and veggies besides getting more water into me and more fruits and veggies. I have no problem with sugar or desserts, but carbs are harder for me to back off of. I am doing pretty good though.

Jean: Sounds like you are having very nice weather and I am so glad. It can get cold there in the wintertime.

Susan: How did your dr appt go? I am working on getting a snack like veggies and dip or something like that in the evening and see if that helps with the hunger. It is a struggle, period, and I knew it would be for me until my body adjusts to less sugar and such then it is much easier for me.

Well girls, nothing going on exciting here so I better get breakfast eaten and chores done. Have a nice weekend all. Faye
Old 01-11-2013, 07:52 PM   #5  

Good evening, ladies. We had rain today but it's supposed to be 75 degrees tomorrow.

The doc knew as soon as he saw my foot, and the xray confimed it, a screw had come lose and was sticking out about 6 mm. Fortunately now that my foot is healed nicely it is no longer needed and its a simple office procedure to take it out so he'll be doing that on the 25th.

We had day quilt guild today and our group of 14 ladies went to lunch. I've been lazy today and had my nose in a book all afternoon. Tomorrow I'll be having tea with Glory and work at WW.

Faye, I know the hat will be perfect as all your projects are. I wear the slippers you made for me all the time.

Have a wonderful evening.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:55 AM   #6  

Good morning all! Hohum, it is raining here again. I sure would like some nice bright sunshine. At least it is warm here today in the 60's may creep up to 70 which would be nice. Saves on the utility bill not running either AC or heat!

I am getting ready to head out to Walmart to see if they have my hair color back in stock. When my hair grows out I don't have dark roots, I have white roots! If I knew my hair would grow out completely white, I would let it grow out in a minute. Until I can be sure, I will color it. I am also out of bananas, want to get another box of Pepsi One, some lunchmeat ham for sandwiches, and a couple other things. I have been looking for my eyeliner forever and can't find it anywhere. Maybe WM will have restocked it by now.

Susan: I bought Jack some orange and blue yarn to make him a Boise State watch cap. He has never even been to Idaho, but love's that school's football team. They are going to be able to see him in the dark I think. It cost me nearly $35 for the darn yarn alone so he better wear it. He drove me nuts last night making sure I picked out the exact color combo. He even went into official website to get the colors. Luckily, I found yarn in the same weight that had a zillion colors and found just the right match, but I had to take the picture of the two squares of colors from the official site, open another window with the yarn then match them up with him sitting here. Sheesh! They have a website where you can buy kits, but they are outrageously expensive. Ouch, just thinking of a screw working it's way out sounds painful. Glad the procedure is fairly easy. I always worry about the mesh I have in my abdomen where they did the hernia surgery. I watch all these lawyer adverts for the vagina mesh errosion and it makes me nervous.

I guess I better get out of here and get to WM. Have a nice weekend everyone. Faye
Old 01-12-2013, 09:35 PM   #7  

Good evening, Flowers! I'm in the resort lobby tonight. It was 85 today and set a record. We went on a dinner cruise and then visited the aquarium where Winter, the dolphin with the prosthetic tail lives. Long day in the car. I think tomorrow is a do nothing day. I don't have time to read tonight but hope all is well with all of you. Enjoy your Sunday!
Old 01-13-2013, 09:29 AM   #8  

Good morning all. I sound like a broken record. It is raining gangbusters this morning. It rained all night so there is flooding in low places I guess. It is going to rain for a couple more days at least I guess.

I went to Amazon and ordered replacement blade thingies for my electric shaver. I didn't know you could do that and sort of fell over it looking at Amazon one day. I have tried everything and the electric shaver works best on my legs. I get ingrown hair bumps and not much hair on my legs and shaving cuts them up and waxing doesn't work because even waiting weeks the hair doesn't seem to be long enough. Anyway, did that and like I said yesterday, ordered the blue and orange yarn.

Went out to WM yesterday in the rain, had to park at the end of the lot, but was first in line with a new cashier when I went to check out and she was fast too. Luckily, it had stopped raining when I came out and beat feet it to the car. I found my hair color, but they still don't have the darn eye liner in stock. I then came home by way of our CVS to pick up a prescription refill I did online at 9 and they said I could pick up at 10:15. Well, 11:05 and they hadn't even started it. The little snot at the drive through first told me they were working on it, then they didn't have that medication but she would ask the pharmacist, then after sitting there for 5 minutes, she came back and said to give them another 5 minutes. I asked her why they weren't ready when they said they would be ready and she just looked at me stupidly. I told her I was going to pull out so the guy behind me could get their stuff since he had been sitting in line with me for 10 minutes now. I went and parked, called Jack and complained then got back in line. I got, "I'm sorry about the wait Mrs. Wilkinson we have just been really busy." I told her she could tell them I was transferring my prescriptions back to Walgreens and drove off. It wasn't that they weren't ready, I can understand being really busy, but the excuses, they really make me mad. At least be honest with me and frankly, they could have had the prescription done, but I doubt they even looked at their online stuff.

Jean: Glad you are having a nice time. We miss you and can't wait for you to be back with us.

Gotta go and get some breakfast. You all have a great day! Faye
Old 01-13-2013, 09:49 PM   #9  
Thin Within

Talking Simply Chilly Sunday

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

Howdy we got back last night fine from a quick trip out to CA to deal with a family emergency. It was a quick turn-around trip and I am a bit tired from all that riding now. Three days out and three days back didn’t give us much time to be “Lookie Lous”. Gracious sakes and when I got back my e-mail had gone bonkers because when I opened my computer I had every e-mail that I received while I was gone 20 times. 20 copies of everything sent to this computer took awhile to delete. We were able to pick up our animals after 4 o’clock today when someone was down there to feed the animals and check on all of them and be at the office so we can settle up. I didn’t sneeze once when gone but have started sneezing now when we got back. I am allergic to something in the air in this part of the country.

I’ll not do “personals” this post but will come back tomorrow.”

Have a great night Magnolias
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:31 AM   #10  

Good morning girls! It went from 70 to 26 degrees! We are supposed to get more rain and it is going to be freezing and icy and we could be in for some trouble. I worry so much about Jack having to drive on the interstate with these idiots for 20 miles to get home in bad weather. I told him this morning just to leave a lot behind you and a lot of room in front!

Today was first week weigh in day. I had a good week last week and only went over pts by 1 the second day and even then I didn't eat any sugar or dessert stuff but stuff that was good for me. I have increased my veggie eating 100% too. I found these wonderful whole grain sandwich crackers with pbutter inside at Walmart's and they are a nice snack. I had a fuji apple and reduced fat cheddar cheese stick last night for a snack. With all that bologney being said, I am down 3 lbs!

I am so mad at myself. I bought navy and gold yarn to make Jay at Notre Dame hat and should have bought 2 navy's and one gold. They don't sell this yarn anyplace here in town and there seems to be a run on the navy online. I finally found a place that wasn't sold out and ordered another skein, but I am 3/4 done and can't finish until I get the yarn, hopefully by the end of the week. I want to get it done and get it and the slippers color blocked, washed and blocked so I can send them to the kids next week. I should get Jack's Boise State yarn by tomorrow or Wed so I guess I can start his hat while I wait. In the meantime, I still have my socks and scarf I can work on.

Maggie: Good to see you get home ok and so sorry you had to do such a rush job. I hope all is ok with whatever caused you to have to pick up and go and the doggies and kitty are ok.

I guess I better get my chores done and get my oatmeal eaten before it gets cold. Have a great day all! Faye
Old 01-14-2013, 11:23 AM   #11  
Thin Within

Talking Monday Monday ~ Weigh Day

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is weigh day and this morning I weighed on my : and am down so I am hopeful that I will still be down this evening at WW. I am still weary from that trip ~ just don’t bounce back as quickly as I did in my younger years. I don’t feel bad or anything like that ~ just weary. Maybe after I finish my first coffee this day I will feel better. I’ve looked at the news and there isn’t anything good there to speak of.

The animals are sure hanging around close to us today and wanting attention. They will quickly settle back into their old routines. I know they were all treated real well at the vets while we were gone. That is a wonderful place to have a pet taken care of. The collage kids that are “wanna be” vets are so caring that work there. It is a family operation ~ the father takes care of the large animals ~ cattle and horses and the two children that are also vets take care of the smaller animals. When the Dad retires the two children will run the business quite well for they will have had so much experience. The whole lot of them look after the small heard of buffalo that live in a large fenced in area at the edge of town. The four calves that were born this past spring are sure growing fast.

I think today I will make a big pot of stew. I have all the ingredients and it should be a go and smell the place up so nicely while it bubbles away in a slow simmer.

Will just left to take the dogs to the groomer and to run some other errands. I am still easing into the world. Since we got rid of that TV I have been going to bed earlier and consequently getting up earlier which is kinda nice.

It looks like tonight at the WW meeting we will be discussing what is in our fridge. That will be easy for me for there aren’t any “enemies” lurking in mine.

DONNA FAYE for being down 3 pounds! It's cold here also. It seems like it is the younger drivers that cause more freeway accidents especially in snow and ice conditions. We saw wreck after wreck coming home through NM in a storm. The roads on the opposite side going the other direction were plowed but the ones on our side hadn't been plowed yet and it was 25 MPH for an hour. We saw trucks jacknifed and cars in the ditch but we were able to make it through without any trouble driving our Jeep. Folks in cars were not so fortunate to get through it. I think the snow plows were behind us somewhere. But when those big semi's slow down other folks need to take heed and not try and pass them for they don't just slow down for the fun of it. Some of those folks that whizzed by were in the ditch further up the road. We toyed with the idea of renting a car to take that trip but then decided just to go ahead and take the Jeep and we were so thankful we did. I hope you get the navy yarn in a close enough dye lot that will match well with the yarn you have on that hat.

JEAN Sounds like you have nice warm weather to have a good time with your activities while there. Believe me I know how you feel with that long day in a car.

SUSAN I had a nice chuckle when you said you had a "screw loose." It is good that it is an easy thing to remove it now that your foot is all better. Sounds like a fun luncheon with 14 other quilters.

Have a great day Magnolias
Old 01-15-2013, 08:48 AM   #12  

Good Morning, Flowers! It's going to be another sunny day in the 80s. We are heading to Epcot in a few minutes. I'm thinking it will be another day of walking. Enjoy your day!
Old 01-15-2013, 09:58 AM   #13  

Good morning ladies! It is another very cold day here for us. I think it might be 30 right now. Jack bought all the ice cream salt the store had last night and put it all over the deck and the walk to the garage. He left and got to work the same time as always so I guess the roads aren't bad.

Whoopee, I got the replacement cutters and foils for my razor. They sent me purple ones and mine is mint green, but I don't care. At least my legs won't get hacked up everytime I shave them. I always shave my legs the day before a dr appt and go to the dr's looking like I was attacked by an axe or something. My sister says I ought to be thankful as she has to shave her legs daily. I guess I am since I only have to do it about once every 6 weeks or so and then not much.

Maggie: I know your WW meeting will show you are down. Didn't they raise the prices recently? I looked at the online site and it is more expensive than the last time I had online service. It isn't worth the expense for me to even do online. We just have to take the time to read labels and such. We are still doing the old style pts system and like it just fine. Jack made an app for his phone so we can do pts in the grocery store since my pts calculator went belly up about a year ago. Fortune is like that when he has been kenneled. We will have to kennel him for the cruise. I can't ask Kelly to keep him anymore since their dog has passed. I just wouldn't feel right about it.

Jean: Don't rub it in! I want spring so bad I can taste it.

I had scrambled eggs with mushrooms and a tbl of salad crumbled bacon for breakfast. It was really good. I try and change up my breakfast so I don't get bored. I eat a lot of oatmeal, have nutra grain eggo waffles and sf syrup and eggs with veggies most of the time. I bought 3 really yummy ww meals last weekend. I really hated their meals, but they must have reworked them because these were great. I got a mexican rice and beans medley, mac and cheese which I put a one serving can of tuna into it, and spag and meat sauce. Since I have pretty much quit eating mash pot and pot in general at dinner, the carbs for lunch are ok. I am going to leave here and find a nice salsbury steak recipe for dinner tonight.

I guess I better go. I don't have cleaning or daily chores done. Hope you all have a great day. Faye
Old 01-15-2013, 10:40 AM   #14  
Thin Within

Talking Titilating Chilly Tuesday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

Did I tell you awhile back that I had made an order from the King Arthur® Flour catalogue of some “Mini Measuring Beakers” by OXO and some “Lemon, Lime & Orange Juice Powders.” Well, they all arrived and those little measure beakers are a trip. There are 4 of them and the smallest beaker is 1 teaspoon then the others are 1Tablespoon, 1 Ounce, and 2 Ounce. They are all the same height but the larger they get the bigger around they are. I will keep them on the shelf below the window above my kitchen sink ~ they are so cute. The different juice powders will be used in different things I cook and bake. They are great to have on hand when one is out of the fresh citrus fruit when a recipe calls for some juice. They also have a pineapple powder that I am toying with the idea of ordering. These concentrated juice powders boost all baked foods, glazes, fillings and frostings. They deliciously intensify and brighten marinades, spice rubs, corn on the cob, Mexican foods, and beverages, too. They are a definite addition and welcome to my kitchen arsenal.

I was up earlier than usual again and it may be the way things will be from here on in. This all started when we ditched the TV. We both get better rest now. Interesting. From the looks of our yard we got a skiff of snow during the night. It is currently 19º and not said to get above 25º this day.

Today I will make that stew because Will wanted to eat elsewhere and use a coupon that we got at Christmas at Applebee’s. I certainly didn’t mind for I made good choices. I used my capture thingy and now have that chicken that is at the bottom my post showing I am half way there as a book mark. I am quite happy to be half way there and am looking forward to being on down the road. I showed a 1.2 loss last evening.

JEAN O you are having lovely weather. I am sitting here shivering and you are frolicking about in the sunshine. I know you are having a lovely time of it. Stay safe. When do you plan on being back home?

DONNA FAYE WW has improved their frozen entrees quite a lot. LQ makes some tasty ones and so do Schwan’s®. I like to put tuna in the mac and cheese ones also. That one that has broccoli in it especially. I eat all those packaged meals in a bamboo bowl with my chopsticks. Weight Watchers is pushing chewing every bite and swallowing it before taking another bite and I certainly do that when using my chopsticks ~ works for me. However, I have always been a slow eater ~ even as a child. I think back then it may have been an attention seeker move on my part. I like to put the points+ value on the containers before putting them in the fridge or the cupboard. The lesson at last evenings WW meeting was how to arrange the food in our fridge so it is plan friendly. Made sense to me and I think I will re-arrange my fridge contents today. I haven't noticed that the price has gone up that much. When one goes to WW meetings then the web site is included and not a separate price. The ActiveLink does cost a little and is added into the WW price that is taken out of the bank account. If you are able to lose weight without a meeting or doing it on line then go for it for you do have Jack as your partner in losing weight. I am one of those type folks that need the meetings. I am able to quit for awhile and maintain but it is hard and I have to get back to the meetings before I start gaining it back. Since I have reached the half way point I am more determined then ever to keep losing and get to goal. I imagine that I will continue to attend the meetings after I do reach goal ~ If I maintain the meetings will be free then.

Have a great day Magnolias
Old 01-16-2013, 09:19 AM   #15  

Good morning ladies! 38 degrees and its still raining. We might get snow - up to 4 inches - tonight. If we get 4 inches, it will definitely be a mess around here.

Our applique bee on Monday was quite depleted in numbers due to the flu but we still had a good time. I have bee at the library tonight and tomorrow night is Ladies of the Evening so lots of stitching going on.

Faye, prices at WW haven't gone up recently at all. I really thing WW 360 is the best program that has ever come out from them because it focuses on not only eating but all the reason why we eat and what we can do to overcome them. Points Plus also took the emphasis away from processed foods and simple carbs and put it on the healthier choices. I have learned this year that snacks aren't things like crackers, sweets, chips, etc. They are treats for one or two times a week. A snack is fruit or vegetable with protein or dairy. I now make sure I always have a snack with me when I leave the house, usually a piece of fruit. That was our routine last month. People are giving me positive feedback on the 360 program at the scale.

Maggie, sorry you had to make that rush trip to CA and very glad to have you back with us. I'm with you on needing WW meetings. I need to be accountable to a someone. All my friends are overweight and of the "one little serving won't hurt" variety. I'm going to get some chopsticks and try eating frozen entrees with them. I've always been a slow eater.

Jean, enjoy the sunshine!

Have a wonderful day.