Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 01-21-2013, 05:46 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 378/tickers/145

Height: 5'4"

Question Shapewear = Cheating?

This popped into my head earlier, but I had no idea where to post. I hope this is general enough for this forum.

So, what do you guys think about shapewear? (Corsets, torsets, butt lifters, and other things.) Do you wear them? Do you think of it as cheating or what?

I don't know if it's a testament to youth or anything, but I used to hate the idea of them, even of underwire bras. It seemed like false advertising to me (brr. 'False advertising'. I hate the phrase here, but it's probably the most accurate at the same time...). And I still don't like them entirely, but I tend to wear them. I sort of feel bad if anyone compliments me that day, honestly, because it smooths out a LOT (like the "perma-muffin top" I have).

However, I do wish I could find shapewear for your arms that didn't cost like $85. Everything I said would go out the window if I could find that!
coolacrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:51 PM   #2  
the muse of memory

Quote:
However, I do wish I could find shapewear for your arms that didn't cost like $85. Everything I said would go out the window if I could find that!
Google Ch'arms. It's sold on one of the shopping channels. I have NEVER tried them and cannot endorse them, but the line looks like Spanx for your arms, and is WAY less than $85.

And no: shapewear isn't cheating. Even superskinny people wear Spanx. I don't wear it much, because spending that much for it mid-loss seems silly, but I will wear it.
mnemosyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:54 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 160:(/see ticker/125

Height: 5'4

I am a huge believer of shapewear! As a matter of fact, I wear them everyday!!

Nothing wrong with keeping things where they belong.

Do you feel guilty if somebody tells you you look great because your hair is done and you are wearing makeup????

Shape-wear enhances your figure and, in my case, is more comfortable because I have lots of lose skin in the stomach area (due to pregnancies)
CIELOARGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:59 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Are clothes cheating? Is makeup cheating? hair cuts? bras ?

I think if something makes you feel good about yourself, do it.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:11 PM   #5  

Shapewear for arms?!?! *Interest is PEAKED!!!* I always wondered about it but thought I was crazy. I am going to look up your recommendations, thank you!!

For bottomwear, there was a thread recently we were talking about it but I can't find it. I think it was when we went off on a little tangent.

I wear capri shapewear under my dresspants and jeans, it's almost like footless tights but with a higher waist and much snugger (think extra tight control top all over). I love them, I think they are Leggs brand (runs about $7 a pair so they don't last forever). I'm not sure I am fooling anyone but I like how I feel and right now, that's all that matters.

So to answer your question, no way it's cheating!!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:16 PM   #6  

Well..not sure if I see a difference between shape wear and push up bras
teekim22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:43 PM   #7  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

i dont think it's cheating, any more so than choosing flattering clothes or high heels etc to enhance your looks....

on the other hand, i've never worn shapewear and never plan to...i'm HIGHLY claustrophobic and just the thought of being encased in something like that is enough to give me a mental panic attack lol
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:45 PM   #8  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I love shape wear - corsets and garters are among my favorite pretty underthings and more seamless shape wear regularly appears under sheer dresses and tops. It isn't cheating at all - I have loose skin and lumps and bumps from my properly fitted bras and panties, smoothing them out is just finishing off an outfit. It's not like I use shape wear in place of working out or losing weight - but it's akin to saying that using hairspray on an updo is cheating because you'd otherwise have flyaways. Bodies aren't perfect, a little finishing makes a more attractive final product. And if it makes me look better and feel more comfortable in my clothes, who cares?

Are divas on the red carpet cheating with Spanx and double stick tape to keep all those lovely dresses in place and photo perfect? My body's been through a lot more than most of theirs, I'm at least as entitled to my finishing work as they are!
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:56 PM   #9  

S/C/G: tick'

Height: 5'8

I also like to wear them to keep things in place and to avoid the buldges. I mainly wear one for my muffin top as well as the buldge under my bra. They were great and if it slims that down I don't care what anyone says.

I look forward to the day where I don't feel like I "need" to wear one to feel good in a tight outfit, but they certainly aren't cheating.

If they were, I'd have to give up makeup and straightening my hair as well.

If it makes you feel good, then embrace it and wear them .
Remington90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:25 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 378/tickers/145

Height: 5'4"

...I don't wear make-up besides the occasional lip gloss and I have dreadlocks, lol. But your arguments are well taken!

I too long for that day, Remington90.
coolacrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:17 PM   #11  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Just please be aware that you ladies might not ever have that moment! Too many people on these boards look for weight loss to solve all their body problems and find that it only does what it can - shrink adipocytes. The skin, the body shape, those are all still there. I have gone from a size 24 to a 10 and have a bit more left, but even with a very attractive body some clothes are STILL unforgiving and shape wear is really required to wear them properly. In fact, given the cut of clothes I'd say I need shape wear more now at a 10 than I ever did at size 24/XXX tops. It doesn't mean you've failed in some way if weight loss doesn't turn you into a model whose body looks magnificent in every clingy knit.

Just a friendly caution, have the proper expectations of massive weight loss. I could not go from super morbidly obese to overweight and not expect my body to show that I did. And even before I was ever obese some clothes STILL needed foundational garments.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:26 PM   #12  
I'm a khaleesi!!

S/C/G: 260/188/130

Height: 5'3"

I bought my first pair of spanx to wear under a dress for a wedding a few months ago...I shall never go back to not owning them. If I'm a cheater, then I'm a cheater lol! I like my lumps hidden.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:28 PM   #13  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

Even my best friend who is the perfect size 6 wears spanx. Embrace the spandex ladies. It's like the perfect lipstick or clutch. It finishes the outfit.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:29 PM   #14  
Back to Basics!

S/C/G: 187/127/125

Height: 5' 2.5"

I think the idea of cheating is funny and interesting. I wonder how I would look without vision correction, dental correction, medical skin care, tweezing, hair color, make-up, shaving, deodorant, flattering clothing cuts and fabrics, etc. Plus I am the ultimate cheater with a boob job! I feel pretty awesome, though!
ChickieChicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:42 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 160/123/???

Height: 5'7

I've worn spanx on and off, even when I was thinner. I didn't have a lot of jiggle but they got rid of visible panty lines like magic (feel free to suggest thongs if you want me to laugh in your face for a while ).

Yeah, I don't consider it cheating anymore than wearing a bra is cheating. It would be great to have a ripped 6 pack, but I'd still have the VPL problem in some outfits. So spanx it is.
vabs is offline   Reply With Quote