Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 01-21-2013, 05:49 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat Jan 21 - Jan 27

Happy Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.

Perhaps motivated by all the movie talk on this thread, DW and I saw Amour. Dramatically good movie, but sobering as a view of how we might exit this place. It's hard to recommend to anyone unless they want a heavy dose of reality - albeit very well done - but both of us are glad we went. We talked about it more than we have any other movie lately.

I'm getting in more walking as my leg heals from its break in November, although limited to only two miles before it objects. Only my Physical Therapist can tell its not perfect. I'm impressed that a broken leg can heal itself so quickly. Yesterday's two walks in forty degree sunshine were joyful. January without ice and snow is good for walking - not so good for plants that wish to hibernate for the winter.

Eating has been good at meals but with some extra snacking when I feel tension. Trying to remember that food doesn't cure tension.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 01-21-2013 at 02:01 PM.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:44 AM   #2  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Bill, sounds like you're healing up well!

We had some nice weather a few days back . . . but now it's snowing and freezing again. Oh well.

I made my goal 175g of protein yesterday. I feel like a farm animal being fattened up for slaughter. We bought some high quality protein powder that is supposed to be safe for pregnant women, and now I'm starting my day with a protein smoothie (protein powder + milk + frozen fruit) before I even get downstairs in the morning. It makes the difference between getting to 145g and 175g of protein, so I'll take it.

How do you folks on a high-protein diet manage? I feel like after I've stuffed myself with enough protein to make my protein goals, there's no room left in my stomach for vegetables. It's kind of rough because the diet I am used to involves mostly fruits, veggies, and carbs, with a little bit of protein. I can't get over this mental block that eating a massive quantity of meat and cheese is somehow bad for me.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:54 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Jessica, follow your doctor's advice and pay no attention to those offering advice no matter how well intentioned.'I got a kick out of your statement that you feel like farm animal being fattened up for slaughter, NO ! You are a about to be a new Mom giving two babies a healthy start in life.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:46 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I'm back.

I'm stressed!

I haven't had time to go over last week's chat, but I intend to once I get caught up here at work.

\rant: Who decides to take a vacation to visit people when those people themselves are on vacation? My SIL and BIL (DH's little sister) needed out of the snow and decided to come to visit us while we were on our cruise. Okay, fine, we made sure everything was ready for them before we left as we knew they MIGHT come. Well, they did. And boy did they make themselves at home. We got home late last night and I felt like a stranger in my own house. They had commandeered the counter where I put my "stuff" (purse, phone and charger, stuff I need to haul to work the next day). I had to find a new outlet to charge MY phone in MY house! And Coke and diet Coke litre bottles on the counter (you know we don't drink soda and they bought like a case at Costco!--they'd better take them with them when they leave!). And why not put them in the fridge rather than leave them out on yet another kitchen counter?/rant

Needless to say I need to bite the bullet and get working on my diet again! My skinny jeans are feeling a bit tight today.

MIL decided to invite us over for dinner tonight so I don't have to cook. Um, yeah, so just WHEN am I supposed to do my laundry? Thankfully I have this WONDERFUL son who volunteered to do it for me today on his day off from school! (He didn't actually volunteer, but he said he'd do it when I asked.) I love my son!

So I was terrified of catching a cold or the flu on the trip. Yeah, I was the ONLY one who didn't! DH lost his voice and he, my brother and SIL all got chest colds! I blame it on Belize where our zipline and rappelling trip was done in a torrential downpour and we didn't have dry clothes to change into for the 2 hour bus ride back to the ship!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:58 PM   #5  
Workin' It

That is annoying, Allison. I would be frustrated, too! How long are they staying?

Jessica - I also laughed at your 'fattened up for slaughter' reference. LOL You'll appreciate the extra protein I think - those babies are going to start pulling nutrients right out of you I would imagine. Totally worth it. Eat the cheese and enjoy it.

Bill - I also have a hard time not remembering that eating doesn't stop tension. Case in point, the twizzler I had this morning... Sounds like you are getting some good walking on the leg and it is healing nicely, I'm glad.

I have a friend in this week from London - due to some schedule changes we are going out to dinner with him tonight instead of Wednesday as I'd originally figured. I'm a little anxious over scheduling with the MLK holiday today, the restaurant I've searched out is in historic Atlanta and I'm wondering if there will be a crowd. It has been there since 1947 and was frequented by Dr. King and other civil rights activists back in the day. My friend won't be here until later in the day today and is picking his aunt up at the airport, who wasn't originally going to dinner with us but who now I feel kind of obligated to invite as it is her first night in town. Meh. I hate schedule complications.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:34 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Shannon~they are staying until Friday, I think. Which makes it even weirder for me. The only time we'll get to visit is after work. And if I'm going to be cooking, they darn well better clean up my kitchen first!

That would be complicated going to that restaurant, but you're right, the aunt should be invited as well.

I have a story to tell from the cruise: One afternoon, we were sitting by the pool and the "house band" was entertaining the crowd. Basically we were reading. Anyway, the singer was suddenly joined by this older black gentleman who had been swimming. He'd get up, sing a duet or part or one verse of the song and then dive back into the pool. I thought he was some random guy from the cruise (who obviously had a great voice) only to find out two days later it was Jonathan Butler! You really never knew when you'd run into one of the stars of the shows!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:39 PM   #7  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Bill, I know I'll be going to see "Amour," and I suspect it will be the best movie that I see this season. But I've also heard that older couples among my acquaintance who are frequent movie-goers have found it almost unbearable to watch, because it mirrors their current lives and their fears about the future. Which, to me anyway, means it is likely a superior work of art. Just as "Zero Dark Thirty" left me thinking that I must be careful about pursuing obsessions, lest this pursuit leaves nothing else of value in my life and I am alone at the end with no one near me (because the obsession left no room for relationships) and nowhere to go.

Anyway, "Amour" is lower on my list because it's been expanding its release and adding theaters, and will be around for a while longer. I'm trying to catch things that will be disappearing from theaters. Yesterday I saw two documentaries, "How to Survive a Plague," about ACT UP and AIDS activists, with a lot of archival footage, and "Searching for Sugarman," a really splendid movie about an unknown early 70s singer/songwriter who was dropped from his label after two records, had no career to speak of in the U.S., ended up working on demolition crews in Detroit -- but became famous & sold a half-million copies in South Africa.

Jessica, if I were you, I'd be in line at Murray's in the Village, getting a couple pounds of white goat Gouda and Humboldt Mist, Manchego, Idiazabal, Cabrales & God knows what else, whatever slivers they cut and handed out to me. Heck, I'd demand that they make me up a Spanish cheese plate, and don't be light on the membrillo and Marcona almonds. Everyone else has been chowing down on Spanish cheeses for the past five years & I have not, and yes, there's a bit of resentment in this post.

Shannon, if there's a crowd, it'll be okay. You can wait in the bar and catch up with your friend. Maybe you'll be so engrossed in talking that the time will just fly past.

Me, I'm trying to make notes toward my 4 PM interview with my boss's manager. Oh, he is a cold fish, with very little small talk whatsoever, and is well-known as being uncomfortable with women, and loves his PowerPoints and graphs and charts. The last time I interviewed with him for a managerial position, he instead chose to annoint a male rival of mine in our Egham, U.K. office. So we meet again. I must try to mute myself and talk to him the way he likes to be talked to. Statistics -- I need some statistics -- I'd better go round some up now.

Last edited by saef; 01-21-2013 at 01:40 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:08 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

paperclippy Twins are exciting, my gf is having twins and was told there might be a third (that didn't go over well). I won't be trying for a baby for a while - it's on the horizon though. I spent enough time getting to this size that I want to enjoy the wedding dress. Freaked out the soon to be hubby when I said "if we're getting married on the 29 June can we start trying on the 30th?" Note to self: don't say that while he's driving. However, I consider my diet (way I eat) relatively low carb and higher in protein but I'm generally 100-130 grams a day for protein. I was concerned about how I was going to eat that much protein if I got preggers so I'm interested in what protein powder you found. How did you decide it was 'safe'?? Did the doc help for guidelines? Sorry if you find that ultra nosy...:/ You don't havta answer.

alinnell You are pretty gracious to let someone hang out in your house while you're gone...even for family. Good on ya!

saef Good luck on your interview!

So even after a coritsone shot in one hip my bursitis isn't going away but I've been approved for biking at least and some 'just for fun' cross country skiing. Appointment is made for a Physiotherapist for the 4 Feb. BUT, this weekend I'm going out cross country skiing and I'm going to wear my racing suit from Grade 7...just because I can!
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:18 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Saef, good luck with the interview! At least knowing what he's like you can play to his pecularities--dazzle him with PowerPoint, pie charts, bar and line graphs, and talk about how much you love Tufte.

Alison, some people just really like to make themselves "to home," as they say. Are you really going to have to cook for them? I think they should cook for you--and clean up the kitchen. What's that they say about guests and fish? Cool about Jonathan Butler.

Shannon, I hope it's not too crowded and that you can enjoy yourself.

Jessica, your nightmare, my dream. Lots and lots of cheese. Cheese, glorious cheese.

Bill, love your last sentence--definitely something to remember.

The deep freeze continues where I live. The weather people keep pushing the end of the freeze back--first they said Tuesday, now they're saying we won't see 32 (which will feel balmy after 9 and 10) until Saturday. My sister encouraged me to fly to the Oregon coast where it's supposed to be 52. I can only dream!

My DH has a FTF interview tomorrow and two phone interviews this week-all in our town. Our hope is that we won't have to move so we're crossing our fingers.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:24 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Allison-- I would be super annoyed by having house guests right after a vacation......

Jessica-- I hope you are feeling well? How many weeks are you?

Ishbel-- when is your wedding? How exciting!!

Saef-- let us know how your interview goes!!! Good luck!

Hi everyone else!!!

I'm mildly annoyed by the inaguration coverage today. I have one day off and I'd love to watch dumb TV like the Today Show or Good Morning America but the coverage is on all day!

I've been productive though so far. I had my appointment this morning with my endocrinologist. He wants to adjust my thyroid meds as one of the levels is high. When I mentioned I was having trouble maintaining my weight, he asked if I can't gain weight! Ha! Ha!!!! I spluttered-- no-- the opposite. So he's going to check my hormone levels too to see if I'm peri-menopausal. Sigh. I'm fighting my advancing age but I may be losing.

Then I went to Marshalls and Costco. Later today I'm meeting a friend to walk and have coffee and then to the gym after that.

I worked out massively this weekend and ate on plan and gained a pound..... so, what's new?
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:31 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveling michele View Post

I worked out massively this weekend and ate on plan and gained a pound..... so, what's new?
I feel your pain.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:43 PM   #12  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Michele, I hope your endo can get you sorted out! I'm about 17 and a half weeks right now, and feeling pretty good other than still recovering from the cold/flu I had (still congested, yuck). The only major discomfort problem I'm having is lower back pain that might be sciatica. Not much to do about it other than grin and bear it.

Sheila, LOL about Tufte. Good luck to your DH for his interviews.

Ishbel, I don't think most pregnant women need to hit 175g protein with single pregnancies. My doctor wants me to because it's monochorionic twins and apparently a high-protein diet can help prevent twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome. He did give us a list of protein powders and shakes that were recommended, plus DH did some research online. Lower-quality protein powders often contain trace amounts of heavy metals -- not enough to harm an adult, but who knows what might happen to fetuses? We ended up buying Bluebonnet brand and picking a flavor that didn't have any stevia in it.

Saef, good luck on the interview!

Allison, it sounds like they only wanted to visit you as a way to get to a warm climate without having to pay for a hotel!

Shannon, can you make a reservation at the restaurant?
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:26 PM   #13  
Workin' It

Jessica - I didn't realize that was the reason for the high protein intake recommendation. I have a friend that I've known since childhood who has twins who experienced TTTS in the womb. She and I have never talked about her protein intake, but I remember her diet being one I wouldn't imagine was high in it now that I know more about nutrition. Definitely eat that protein.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:22 PM   #14  
Optimistic cynic

S/C/G: 220/209/180

Height: 5'3"

I'm also trying to remember that food doesn't cure tension. Or sadness. I'm heartbroken right now: one of my cats died suddenly, unexpectedly, last night. Saturday afternoon, we were having a lovely nap in the sun. By sundown, he was at the emergency hospital. All I've wanted to do since then is eat my way through my unfortunately well-stocked cabinets.

Much less importantly, my legs have been sore and achy since Friday so I've barely worked out, which means I'm not even getting my usual endorphins. Life is sucking at the moment.

But I'm watching the inauguration coverage that I DVRd and it's quite a spectacle. I generally eschew pageantry, but I find myself feeling patriotic and proud to be a member of a democracy.

Good luck to saef and Sheila's DH on the interviews. I'm pinning my hopes on the one I have on Wednesday. Here's hoping we all get what we want!
Steph7409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:53 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
I feel your pain.

ME THREE! What is the grand conspiracy against some of us maintainers lately? I was so frustrated this morning I almost kicked the scale. Which would have hurt!

Sheila - so sorry about your kitty cat. We have one elderly cat that I'm getting very concerned about!
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote