Old 01-20-2013, 10:20 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 299/263/150

Height: 5' 4"

Default Curves fitness center

Does anyone go to Curves? I don't like traditional gyms because I always feel out of place. I would love to hear your Curves experience, good or bad.
gagirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:47 AM   #2  
Come on, skinny love

S/C/G: 290/ticker/135

Height: 5'2

I don't have anything terrible to say about Curves, but nothing fantastic either. For a beginner, it's probably ok, especially if you like chatter and social time. If you work out often, Curves will bore you to death.

There's maybe ten machines, you pick whatever is open to start on. Some super loud music plays and then a buzzer sounds indicating it is time to move. It's like a merry go round.

The exercises themselves are not challenging at all. They are supposed to adjust automatically to your fitness level. Even with maximum effort, I couldn't get a sweat going or get my heart rate up.

I won't go back because I didn't think it was worth the money. Our YMCA is the same price for far better and more varied equipment. If you are really shy in a gym setting or a total fitness newbie, see if you can get a free week trial. I wouldn't sign a contract. You'll outgrow it very quickly.
Veneficae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:02 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 301.25/288.25/160

Height: 5'5"

I went to Curves years ago, before my arthritis got bad, and was successful with it. I left only because my work hours got longer and I could no longer get there after work.

I was extremely out of shape when I started and worked up a mild sweat moving among the stations. I liked the stretching exercises at the end of the timed exercises and I left feeling really good about doing it. There were some really social people there, but I was more in-and-out -- and yet was treated very well by the other members there. Some of the ladies even got together and did community service projects, which I thought was very cool.

Costwise, in my neck of the woods, Curves was at the time about half the price of going to the local YMCA.
Quack Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:02 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 252/235.6/150

Height: 5'5

I used Curves before I went to college, and I enjoyed it.

Curves helped me lose over fifty pounds before I went to college.

As far as work outs go, it isn't really intense. You get what you put into it, and there isn't any challenge. I consider it exercise for dummies. I know what I am suppose to do when I go in there, and there isn't any ambiguity or confusion on how to use any of the machines.

I understand where your coming from when you say you don't fit in at a traditional gym. I liked Curves better than a traditional gym, because I was incredibly self conscious about working out with people who are already fit. On top of that Using some of the gym equipment is like trying to solve a puzzle, and I feel like an idiot trying to figure out how to adjust some of the machines.

Curves builds a community, and is a good outlet for social interaction, just because it is so small and you tend to see the same people when you go in.

I would say that start with Curves to get in shape and build stamina, then move onto a gym when you are comfortable to get a better work out. I found that Curves won't work forever, and I had to add to my Curves work out with jogging and biking to maintain weight loss.
ubercast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:07 PM   #5  

Ladies, thanks for sharing your Curves stories with me. They helped a lot!
Old 01-20-2013, 07:10 PM   #6  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

i looked into curves last year when i was looking for a place to workout...the only options in this town are two different more spendy gyms and curves, plus a little cheap place all the way downtown...i ruled out the cheap place downtown because i would realistically never make that drive in the ice/snow when i live and work out in the valley...

when i called Curves, i was told that i would have to sign a contract to go (no trial things there) and that there was an enrollment fee ($50) and that i could only go to curves for a half hour per day...i was like "what?" ...."what if i want to work out more than a half hour per day?" and i was told that i couldn't do that there....

because of the way they move people through a series of equipment, you can't just pick what you want to work out on and stay there, you have to keep moving and they limit you to a half hour there per day

in the end, i chose to invest my money in a membership at one of the more spendy gyms and have gone there nearly every day for over a year and done almost exclusively running/walking on the treadmill and my time limits on there are between 45-60 minutes daily....i can do the workout i want to do, as hard as i want to do it, and i'm not limited on the amount of time...plus i use the hot tub and sauna there as a reward for my workouts

however i've known older people who have had more luck at curves and it seems like a nice place for people who can't work out as hard or as long as i'm able to
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:31 AM   #7  

Alaskan, I didn't realize the time was limited to 30 minutes per day at Curves. That is a deal breaker for sure. I have an opportunity to join a gym that is much closer to work and home than Curves, and get a special rate through my employer. I also prefer going to the gym before work and Curves doesn't open until 8. Thanks for sharing your experience. I love having this forum to be able to learn from so many different people.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 252/235.6/150

Height: 5'5

When I joined curves they didn't restrict me to a time limit. I would go for about 45 minutes at a time, and no one seemed to have a problem with that.
ubercast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:05 AM   #9  

S/C/G: Highest:266/T/Size 8

Height: 5'4

I've tried Curves probably 3 times of the last 10 years? Each was a very different experience and Im fairly sure its because each owner brings a different "spin" to their idea of what they think Curves should be - some I think were overall pretty good, even if it wasnt for me - and one was out right horrible.

Personally, the rebel in me cant really buy into it. I don't respect the employees/trainers because they dont have any real education or basic understanding about the human body. They are just regurgitating information out of a booklet, that you could have just as easily read to yourself. My inner five year old just cant take it. And I end up internally yelling "youre not the boss of me!" And! The music they played made me want to kick a puppy.

Overall, if you like someone to be right there with you and monitor/control your fitness, its a pretty good option. If that works for you (and plenty of people really do find it to be a warm, encouraging environment) my biggest suggestion is to do their free first day and just make sure you really take in the environment and people. Since each facility is so different.
SarahFairhope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:10 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I went to Curves, too and liked it, there was no time limit you could pick the machines you wanted to work on as long as no one else was using it. PS the music is chosen for the beat . I would go again but broke my shoulder ( not at Curves ) so I am limited to what machine I can use.
PS I did go to a gym, paid more money and was left on my own to figure out how to use the equipment, unless I wante to pay extra for a trianer.

Last edited by bargoo; 01-21-2013 at 10:13 AM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:13 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

I have no Curves experience, but I do belong to a "regular" gym and have some advice on that.

No one there gives a hoot about how you do your workout! I have been going for almost exactly 2 years now (2 years and 1 week, to be exact) and if I learned anything it's that just about everyone there is self conscious about something. I have certain group fitness classes I like and usually just take them but decided I needed another day of cardio and the only thing I could fit into my schedule was Zumba. I've only done it twice so far. I look like an absolute idiot. I made an announcement to the people behind me that I had never done it before so they shouldn't follow me in anything. We had a good laugh, I had fun. And when I was able to look around I realized only about 3 people in the class were actually in step with the instructor all the time.

Most gym owners / managers will show you how to use the machines if that's what you prefer. Yes, they can be intimidating. But I usually just watch someone to see what the basics are on a machine I'm not familiar with. And I ask someone who just got off the machine if they'd take a second to show me what to do if I can't figure it out.

I know it's hard to go outside your comfort zone. But the most important thing I learned in the 2 years is that we don't make progress if we don't push. Second is that no one is watching as closely as you think.

Lin

Last edited by linJber; 01-21-2013 at 08:14 PM.
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:44 PM   #12  

Thanks to all who have shared! Lin, you are are so right about no one else caring, and I have some really good "skinny" friends whom I know would be happy to help me at the gym. For now I have decided to start with my walk away the pounds that I have at home. I think I want to be able to build up some stamina before I hit the gym. I also have some bands and a medicine ball I can use. The gym may be several months away also because my husband and I hsve decided to stick to a really strict budget for the next six months! YIKES!
Again, thanks to all who replied.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:32 AM   #13  
Trying for normal

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

I love the gym. There are no curves in the UK, so can't speak to that. But as a fat chick at the gym, no one has ever made me feel bad - except for myself sometimes :-(

I was also very self-conscious about running - more so than the gym. But as I'm huffing along, the looks I get from other runners are either - none - or that little nod of acknowledgement as a fellow runner. Makes me feel amazing! (Ha, ha - I fooled them!)

If you are using a gym to get fitter and stronger - then you absolutely belong there.
AlmostMe is offline   Reply With Quote