Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-20-2013, 12:09 AM   #1  
babybat

Height: 5'7

Default I need a gym membership DX

hey everyone.... I'm struggling to exercise. I can't get out anywhere because of where I live. I don't have the money to join right now and I was kind of waiting because I didn't want it to look like I was one of those people that are doing it because of the new years (if that doesn't sound stupid) yeah so I'm a bit upset and stuff

venting kind of
Can't wait till I get a membership (should be in a week or so) and I'll probably get out tomorrow... it's really not fair wanting to exercise but not being able to do something...I hate trying to exercise in my room too but I might do that.

Let me know what you think, and also tell me about your experiences with gyms? I'm curious ty for reading

Last edited by Babybat; 01-20-2013 at 12:13 AM.
Babybat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:24 AM   #2  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

A gym can be a wonderful place to get you going but it is not essential to success. Paying out cash for a membership will not make you lose weight unless your weighing your purse.

The will to exercise and the desire to succeed is all you need to lose weight.

This doesn't mean you need to be 100% on it 24hrs a day. i means long term dedication to a cause, not snacking on junk food. moving off highly processed foods. eating more fruit and veg, and moving your body more.

If you want to exercise then exercise. there are programs around for doing pushups and situps. squats lunges etc to get to you do 100/200 in one hit over a number of weeks. I've jumped rope using a washing line before.

2 old milk containers filled with dirt make ideal weights for a beginner. when they get light fill them some more or move to gravel etc.

if your snowed in.get yourself a shovel and go clear the driveway (that seriously bulids up a sweat!) if you have alot of ice get a sledge hammer and go breaksome up and shovel it away.

You obviously have this will or you wouldn't be here typing. Embrace the will right now because if your anything like me you'll find that in a couple of days/weeks that will has dissolved away and may not appear again for some time.

Embrace the moment in anyway you can.
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:05 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

When I was part of a big gym, I really took advantage of the "free" initial personal trainer appointment they sometimes offer as part of joining. They take your measurements and talk to you about what your goals are, and you can tell them and they will show you a plan that you can follow. They'll teach you how to use the equipment.

Then you can do it on your own or if you come across some money, pay for more.

I also took advantage of the classes -- for me, it was critical because it was a structured appointment that I had to go. 6 PM Yoga. I would sit there for an hour doing Yoga. It gave structure to my gym workouts and I enjoyed it so much classes was all I ended up doing, rather than running a treadmill.

That's about it. Use it as much as you can, keep your gym clothes in your car or at work, and don't let yourself make any excuses. Use the sauna if they have one as a "reward" for going.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:13 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 280/229/140

Height: 5'4"

I agree with the poster "Rana" , I have specific dates and times I go to the gym which gives me structure, and routine. I find having a routine is whats keeping me on track... as for the cost, have you tried the YMCA? ours has a wonderful scholarship program/sliding fee schedule based on income , I use it. and my YMCA has a great gym, trainers, and the pools, which offer great aquatic classes as well. Good luck and congrats on your weight loss journey
hayem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:42 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 210/175.3/TBD

Height: 5'2

I love the gym.... I go about 5 times per week. It was really nerve-wracking at first because I didn't see myself as an exerciser and I was at my highest ever weight at the time, but it was a great decision. I am really grateful that I took advantage of the free session at the beginning to learn to use all the equipment and get a personalized workout routine...I would be so lost if I did not do that. Like with hayem and Rana, it has been built into my regular schedule (e.g., going to the same classes every week, going after work).

I agree with checking to see if you qualify for financial assistance at the ymca. Or at least shop around and check out prices - we have a Planet Fitness in town, for instance, for just $10/month.

If the gym is not doable, there are some good workout vids out there too! Though I prefer the gym because it is really hard for me to workout alone.
straightahead is offline   Reply With Quote