Old 01-07-2013, 04:28 AM   #1  
~Getting My Groove Back!

S/C/G: 297/276/260

Height: 5'6

Default Ketosis Question

Hello Everyone!
Strange question for those of you using keto-sticks...
How often do you test for ketones? . I have to admit, I have become completely obsessed and I keep wanting to test everytime I go!
I believe I am in ketosis, but my strips vary throughout the day. I get everything from negative to dark pink, all in one day.
Does this mean I am not in ketosis? How often and what time of day should I be testing?
Thanks!
noussa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:03 AM   #2  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

I think it depends on a couple factors, like how diluted your urine is. I usually get a nice dark positive in the morning but later on it's lighter if I've been drinking lots of water.

I get obsessed with testing sometimes too! I actually haven't in a few days which is odd for me. The sticks are just there to give a helpful idea, but totally not needed at all.
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:06 AM   #3  
Livin' La Vida Low Carb!

S/C/G: 350/ticker/200

Height: 5'6"

I never test. I tried the strips once and they drove me nuts so I stopped using them.
Simona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:04 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 187/187/140

Height: 5ft4.5in

I've never used them. Hope you get the answers you're looking for
BrenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:35 AM   #5  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Just so you know ketosis isn't an on or off switch... It's a continuum with varying degrees...

That being said if you really want to know if you are in ketosis there are glucometers that test for serum ketones that you can use at home... if you really want to be sure...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:07 PM   #6  
~Getting My Groove Back!

Thats great advice! Thanks everyone! I will do my best to stop treating those strips like a magic 8 ball!
Old 01-13-2013, 07:01 PM   #7  

Talking Ketostix have motivated me

Hi there

I went into Ketosis on the 2nd day after 36 hours. I kept my net carbs under 20g. I am following the Atkins diet and it is now my 4th day. I began doing cardio (running and elliptical cycle) for AT LEAST 1 hour a day and I would say it was intense cardio where u can't talk much while excising.

The thing that bugs me people saying if ketostix are dark purple it means you are dehydrated or it's probably a false positive. For me, anytime of the day I check...morning....noon...night...middle of night....after working...after eating..no matter when I test, I am always at the moderate to severe purple range. I have lost about 9 pounds since being on it 4 days and I look forward to losing more!! But I think what helped for me is that I am male and that I have worked out intensely with cardio. I drink almost 15 8oz glasses of water a day! that is roughly 120 ounces of water...sometimes I get sick of the water because I am not thirsty but I force myself to drink it. My pee is always clear to very light yellow (except in mornings).

But I have researched this product called CHIA - it has a ton of fiber and only 1 net gram for half of your recommended daily intake. Chia is suppose to be a super food that takes wasted toxins and flush them out (poo). I know a lot of people experience constipation but just sacrifice 2 of your net carbs with CHIA seeds and BAM! U've got your daily recommended fiber intake. They are full of fiber, omegas, and antioxidants. Research it on Dr. Oz on Youtube.

Anyway, whatever I am doing now, I feel so dam good every time I see purple and losing an inch after only 4 days. I will keep update if anyone is interested in knowing how much I've lost after a whole week or 2 weeks.
devo caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:25 AM   #8  
~Getting My Groove Back!

Please do keep us updated!
Old 01-18-2013, 11:59 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 162/149/125

Height: 5'1"

I'm kinda obsessed with the Ketostix too. I check at least 5 times a day which is rediculous cuz I dont think anything changes for hours after you've eaten, but I always have to check after a meal.
I was testing on the moderate side and then I started eating those Atkins snack bars for dessert and I'm testing on the small side and I haven't lost anything the last couple days even tho I'm still in induction.
Ugh.... I would hope Atkins wouldn't make products that would stall their own people!

That to say I kinda think the color does matter.... Does anyone else think so?
Forevermercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:50 PM   #10  
NeNe

S/C/G: 200/187/165

I test once every morning and I have always done it this way. If I don't test in the darker purple, I cut my carbs slightly that day and go right back to the darker color. I don't shoot for the really dark purple. My sticks show a scale with the purple being "large" at 80 and 160. I try to stay at 80. I am this color if I stay around 20 grams of carbs the day before. I have successfully lost with this plan two different times so that is why I follow what works for me.

Great idea on the Chia seeds for constipation! I do suffer with it due to pain meds and it is worse while on Atkins. I am gonna give them a try and will report back.
firegirl441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:06 AM   #11  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forevermercy View Post
Ugh.... I would hope Atkins wouldn't make products that would stall their own people!
This should help clear up questions regarding Atkins products.
http://www.phlaunt.com/lowcarb/19059967.php

As for the ketostix, I lost over 100 lbs on Atkins and those darn things never changed color for me! Just goes to show you how different we all are and what works for you does'nt necessarily work for someone else.

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 04-07-2014 at 08:08 AM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:06 PM   #12  
NeNe

S/C/G: 200/187/165

I eat the Atkin's products in moderation and lose OK by doing so. I did notice though that if I eat one of the candy products daily my weight loss stalled. I save those for a special treat or reward now.
firegirl441 is offline   Reply With Quote