Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-18-2013, 06:57 PM   #1  
dirty labour daughter

S/C/G: 318/301/155

Height: 5'10"

Default Holy Binge, batman.

I think a big problem with me and weight-loss is that once I'm feeling good and experiencing success, I get really, really cocky. I woke up this morning to go to work at 6 AM after getting to bed at 3, and I knew I was sleep-deprived and might have a hard time making good choices, so I decided I was going to try some IF - have a huge breakfast, a small snack around noon-1 PM, and then I wouldn't have to worry about food the rest of the day! It wouldn't matter how tired I was and how much my judgement was hindered by lack of sleep if I got all my eating out of the way early in the day, right?

Fast forward to work. The kids I nanny for had made me gluten free banana bread with dark chocolate chips on top. This is exactly the sort of thing I CANNOT EAT because it will send me to crazy-town. I didn't want to hurt the kid's feelings, so I had a decent sized, but not huge, piece and told them what a great job they did making it, all the while thinking This is going to work great! With a HUGE breakfast under my belt, I'm not even hungry! Even if I crave sugar after this I won't have any room for it - I am amazing! This is so easy! I have everything under control.

HA.

Fast forward an hour or so and I am STARVING (and by starving, I mean exhausted and judgement impaired - I am totally not actually physically hungry at this point) . Kids are also hungry. I make kids chicken legs, carrots, blueberries, chips and salsa. I have one chip with salsa to 'tide me over' - again, HA. One chip with salsa quicky turns into 3-4 servings of chips with 3 bowls of salsa, plus three gluten free ginger cookies.

Okay, I think, I'm at like a billion calories for the day now, but I can totally STOP HERE even though I'm tired.

Then I pass the little corner market on the way home. I have no idea why I think I can walk in and stock up on frozen grassfed beef and walk out when I'm already binging, but I do think that and I go shopping. I pick up my healthy choices: the beef, some local cheese, a few apples for my husband's lunches - and then at the last second I throw on a local chocolate covered pretzel (HUGE - 12" long and covered in like 2" of chocolate and caramel) AND a serendipity ice cream cone dipped in chocolate (also HUGE - think of a 'drumstick' but county fair sized). I eat the giant pretzel before I've walked all the way home. I immediately start eating the ice cream cone but start to feel sick before I can finish. I know I've had way too much sugar.

SO THEN, my reaction is to balance that out with something salty. I grab some turkey pepperoni from the fridge and some smoked gouda and have at least 2 servings of the pepperoni with 4-5 slices of cheese. At this point I've eaten well over 4000 calories today. I literally had to hop on this forum and search for 'binge' to get myself to stop eating!

If anyone has any advice on how to not make HORRIBLE DECISIONS while sleep deprived, I'd love to hear it. In the mean time, I'm going to keep repeating Han Solo's advice to myself - don't get cocky, kid.

And obviously, I'm hopping right back on plan tomorrow. Ugh.
merilung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:04 PM   #2  

S/C/G: tick'

Height: 5'8

Well the fact that you fell off the wagon and are chasing it down and hopping back on is the moral of this realistically. So kudos for that.

What I find ties me over is green tea. Not chilled either, It needs to be hot. Not only is it water consumption, but the green tea adds a nice flavour and to me works as a mild appetite suppressent.

I get lack of sleep all the time, but fortunantly my work doesn't allow me to eat basically all day, except for my lunch break. I chew gum, drink green tea, drink water and I'll keep some carrot sticks or celery with a tablespoon of my favourite low fat/low cal dressing around, just in case.

Different things work for different people. This is what I've found. But don't stress, start back up fresh tomorrow and learn from it.

You can only push forward !
Remington90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:42 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Hi there,

Can I ever relate. For some reason my usual self-control mechanisms weren't operating well today. After my usual substantial breakfast at 8 a.m., I ended up making myself two large bowls of popcorn at 10:30 a.m., then about 4 tablespoons of Nutella at lunchtime, followed by two large home-made chocolate chip cookies. And I won't even talk about the batter I ate. I don't have a ready explanation for my "letting go" today. Perhaps it's as simple as occasionally needing a rest from being "good."

I just finished reading a book called Willpower. It's a good book with a lot of evidence backing the statements, not just self-help fluff. The authors talk about the following conundrum:

1. In order to activate your willpower, you need some glucose going to your brain.
2. If you give your body glucose, it may trigger urges for more (and more) of the same.

Their compromise suggestion was to fuel your body with enough protein that, at any given time, some of it is getting converted to glucose and giving your brain the willpower fuel it needs.

Freelance
blog: www.englishgrammargripe.com

Last edited by freelancemomma; 01-18-2013 at 07:42 PM.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:30 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 160/123/???

Height: 5'7

My best advice is to reduce your overall carb intake. Especially for IF, lower carbs seems to work better. I know it's not the same for everyone, but it's worked astonishingly well for me. I'm 9 weeks binge free at this point, which is pretty much the longest I've ever gone without bingeing in my adult life.
And you don't need to do atkins or anything, just eat less carbs that you usually do.
vabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:40 PM   #5  
dirty labour daughter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabs View Post
My best advice is to reduce your overall carb intake. Especially for IF, lower carbs seems to work better. I know it's not the same for everyone, but it's worked astonishingly well for me. I'm 9 weeks binge free at this point, which is pretty much the longest I've ever gone without bingeing in my adult life.
And you don't need to do atkins or anything, just eat less carbs that you usually do.
I eat a primal/paleo diet normally, which is why gluten free 'bread' was so out of the ordinary for me and something I KNEW I couldn't/shouldn't have - very small amounts of sugar make give me CRAZY sugar cravings. I shoot for 30g-50g a day usually, planning on a maintaining around 100g a day if possible. I totally agree with you, low-carb works better for me than anything else and lack of sleep + carby, sugary snack throwing me into an all day binge fest just reinforces that for me.

freelancemomma - I'll have to check out that book! I normally aim for quite a bit of protein, but I love having weight loss related material around anyway, for motivation/inspiration! Thanks

Remington90 - I love tea, too. I usually bring tea over to my employer's house when I'm nannying, but I forgot today - I'm not sure it would have made a difference today, honestly, but I'm going to be extra vigilant to make sure I've packed it from now on.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:42 PM   #6  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

you know what happened today - you were sleep deprived. And without a doubt in my mind, it is the sleep deprivation that leads to a LOT of over eating for many of us. We are unable to think rationally and we have less willpower. Add to that and we are tired and want ENERGY. What gives us energy quickly when we are dragging? Sugar - and you need lots of it to get through a day.

So, my big advice is DO NOT ALLOW YOURSELF TO GET SLEEP DEPRIVED.

WIth that said, I'm going to bed as I had very little sleep last night and the night before and I too do not want the binge monster attaching as it WILL when I get tired - without a doubt.

I have no tricks to combat it when I'm sleep deprived except to do retail therapy and that is just as bad as it's the same problem - the inability to think clearly and wisely.

SO SLEEEEEEP!!!!
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:48 PM   #7  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I can SO relate. I'm going on 3 hours of sleep today and am at major risk of binge eating. I normally give in, but I'm trying really hard not to. I keep trying to remind myself of how my thighs rub together when I walk and how much I hate that.

I think you should tell those sweet kids that you can't eat those types of foods as they offered. If they know in advance, you won't feel obligated to eat something that will set you off. Beyond that, I don't have any great advice beyond what was already offered. Hang in there and great job for hopping back on the wagon.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:48 PM   #8  
dirty labour daughter

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
you know what happened today - you were sleep deprived. And without a doubt in my mind, it is the sleep deprivation that leads to a LOT of over eating for many of us. We are unable to think rationally and we have less willpower. Add to that and we are tired and want ENERGY. What gives us energy quickly when we are dragging? Sugar - and you need lots of it to get through a day.

So, my big advice is DO NOT ALLOW YOURSELF TO GET SLEEP DEPRIVED.

WIth that said, I'm going to bed as I had very little sleep last night and the night before and I too do not want the binge monster attaching as it WILL when I get tired - without a doubt.

I have no tricks to combat it when I'm sleep deprived except to do retail therapy and that is just as bad as it's the same problem - the inability to think clearly and wisely.

SO SLEEEEEEP!!!!
I know, right? - I totally need to get my schedule under control somehow. Picking up my husband from work at 2, 3, sometimes 4 AM and getting up early the next day for nanny work AND possibly being called out for a birth at ANY time of the night (for a potential 30+ hour shift) is killer sometimes. I really need to learn how to sleep when I have the opportunity and make sure I'm getting a normal amount of sleep every day, even if it isn't all in one go. I so wish I could find a natural, gentle sleep-aid that didn't knock you out for 8 hours straight!
Old 01-18-2013, 10:03 PM   #9  
dirty labour daughter

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymommy View Post
I can SO relate. I'm going on 3 hours of sleep today and am at major risk of binge eating. I normally give in, but I'm trying really hard not to. I keep trying to remind myself of how my thighs rub together when I walk and how much I hate that.
Stay strong, turn in early if you can! Trust me, I so wish I had stayed on plan today - I feel like dirt now. Not only am I still pretty tired, but I'm also having a major sugar crash. Not. Worth. It.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymommy View Post
I think you should tell those sweet kids that you can't eat those types of foods as they offered. If they know in advance, you won't feel obligated to eat something that will set you off.
You're right, I probably do need to make it clear to the kids that I really appreciate their gifts, but I can't have sweets - it's funny, because they've been raised dairy/gluten free and mostly organic, so they know all about unique diets, but the idea of sugar-free totally blows their minds. Oldest kiddo (in kindergarten) debated for close to TWO HOURS that organic fruit rollups didn't have sugar in them one time when I told him he needed to pick a non-sweet snack
Old 01-18-2013, 10:18 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 229/see ticker/135

Height: 62 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancemomma View Post
Hi there,

Can I ever relate. For some reason my usual self-control mechanisms weren't operating well today. After my usual substantial breakfast at 8 a.m., I ended up making myself two large bowls of popcorn at 10:30 a.m., then about 4 tablespoons of Nutella at lunchtime, followed by two large home-made chocolate chip cookies. And I won't even talk about the batter I ate. I don't have a ready explanation for my "letting go" today. Perhaps it's as simple as occasionally needing a rest from being "good."

I just finished reading a book called Willpower. It's a good book with a lot of evidence backing the statements, not just self-help fluff. The authors talk about the following conundrum:

1. In order to activate your willpower, you need some glucose going to your brain.
2. If you give your body glucose, it may trigger urges for more (and more) of the same.

Their compromise suggestion was to fuel your body with enough protein that, at any given time, some of it is getting converted to glucose and giving your brain the willpower fuel it needs.

Freelance
blog: www.englishgrammargripe.com
Who is the book Willpower by? I looked up that title and several popped up by different authors. I would love to read it!

So far, I have only had one day I "wanted" to binge, and gave in to a bag (220 calories for one serving) of chips and salsa. I logged it into My Fitness Pal and immediately felt guilty!! I suggest trying to force yourself to log what you are going to binge on BEFORE you eat it. That way, you can see how many calories you will take away from what you have remaining, or how many you would go over. Then, if you still can't help yourself, click the add button! But you may find yourself second guessing the binge when you take the time to do this!!

I know if I wouldn't have logged those chips right away, I would have found something else to eat, as I was desperately craving junk!

Just jump back on plan tomorrow, and chalk this one up to an obstacle you WILL overcome in the past!

Oh..and maybe you could carry a healthy snack (or two!) in your purse? My friend carries http://www.larabarstore.com/?trk_src...FQeynQod0X8A2A in her purse. Yes, they maybe a little high in calories, and a bit on the sugar side, but they do have fiber, potassium, magnesium, and protein. Values of each depend on flavor. Prior to starting my diet, I was at the hospital with this friend for HOURS and was starving! I was on the verge of hitting up Starbucks for some decadent high cal snacks and coffee, when she offered me one and it totally curbed my hunger, cravings and tasted good. Just a thought! (Better than hitting 4,000 cals! )

Another thing you can do is remind yourself of all the hard work you have done, and ask yourself if you really want to undermine it!

LoL! When (I'm sure it will happen at some point!) I want to binge, I will have to revisit this thread and read through it again!

I can relate to you in that I'm a sugar junkie, and "can" easily get carried away. (This coming from someone who used to put about 6 tbs of sugar in one cup of coffee ON TOP of about 3.5 servings of regular creamer! )

Hope you have an awesome, on plan weekend so you can feel better and move on from one day of binging!
RavenWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:23 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 229/see ticker/135

Height: 62 inches

Oh...have you looked into Melatonin as a natural sleep aid? I use it occasionally, my best friend uses it, and my cousin's daughter was on it for years in Germany (dr prescribed!) It has worked for us. Out of the people I know personally who have used it, it was helpful. Of course, there are those it won't work for.

It does not "knock you out," or make you hallucinate (as I did BADLY with ambien!) and is natural. I'm all about doing what I can naturally!

Just a suggestion!!!
RavenWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:48 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 145 / 102 / ?

Height: 5'

Hey, Merilung!! Sleep deprivation makes it SO hard! I really try to avoid it, for that reason. When I can't, Diet Mountain Dew is my personal go-to.

It sounds like you are taking care of EVERYONE else, while maybe putting your own needs last.
HungryHungryHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:48 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

Sleep deprivation completely destroys any willpower I might have had that day, too! If you're a tea drinker, try Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime Extra tea (it sorta tastes like Wrigley's spearmint gum). A cup or two of that tends to put me to sleep unless I'm having a "hardcore insomnia" night.

I hope you get some more sleep tonight! Don't worry about your off-plan day, just get back on plan tomorrow!
penmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:20 AM   #14  
drifting downward!

S/C/G: (HW 194) 175/168/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

When I restarted a year plus ago, I really tried to examine what my personal triggers are. And for me, sleep deprivation and not feeling well trigger poor eating like nothing else. This is bad, since I have a lot of health issues.

I still struggle with this. For me it's the hardest part. But two things have helped me:

1) Becoming aware that this is my trigger; on sleep-deprived days I stop and acknowledge how I'm feeling and how it's affecting my judgment. Or something like, "Yes, you're still hungry! But it's because you didn't sleep. You know food won't take the hungry feeling away either. You've already eaten, so, enough." It's helped.

2) Automating my food choices as much as possible those days. Doesn't matter if ate the same meals the day before (I'm not usually a mono-eater). Just pick meals that I know work, no thinking about it. Make a tiny meal with whatever's in the fridge instead of trying to come up with a dinner. Whatever it is - I'm trying to take my sleepy head out of the equation and not think about it (sleepy head says "Go get takeout! It's so much easier than thinking about all this!").

I am definitely not convinced I've got this figured out. Still work to do. But these have helped somewhat.

Desiderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:49 PM   #15  
Maria

S/C/G: 253/144/129.8

Height: 5' 6"

Yesterday I was bored and tired and overstudied and I haven't slept well in days and I had pms. At some point, I decided to go get a tiny bit of chocolate. On the way there, the tiny bit of chocolate became a pie and dessert. I thought to myself that I'm headed for a full binge. I devoured the dessert on the way and left the pie for when I'd get home... Well, I had three bites and then I put it away. I barely made my calories yesterday. How sad is that? I binged on 420 calories.

I think that my answer is to wait. If you ate the pretzel and decided to wait until you got home for the cone, maybe you'd realize that you can't eat it because you're full. It's difficult to control it once you're surrounded by food, but if you realize what you're doing and stall it by keeping busy with something, then your own body won't let you binge like that. That's what works for me at least.
Marniadec is offline   Reply With Quote