Old 01-16-2013, 11:52 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 180/160/140

Height: 5'3"

Post How to get back on track when you fall off the wagon?

I'm three full weeks into the Ideal Protein Protocol, down 11lbs, and today have "fallen off the wagon". I've been scolding myself enough and I could really use some encouragement and tips on how to get my mentality back on track. I know it sounds pathetic but I really want to be healthy and changing my view of food is going to be a big part of that. I have a very busy schedule (taking care of children) and it can be hard to keep on track, there are times I can't seem to get all the veggies in. Advice and encouragement anyone???
karcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:56 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

You've completed 3 weeks already so you know you can do it. Put your head down and charge through!

Re-start right now...don't wait until tomorrow morning to do that.

Prep your veggies once or twice a week to be prepared then you will never be stuck without what you need.

You can do it!!!
IdealProteinNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:03 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Step 1: STOP SCOLDING YOURSELF! What's done is done. Self-hatred is only going to lead you further down the rabbit hole. It could happen to anyone. Think of it this way: You were consistent for 21+ days. You had 1 day of slip up(s). It will set you back a few days in terms of water weight, etc... sure. But in the end, it's just a blip on the radar screen.

Step 2: Just get back on. You might feel a little bit hungrier tomorrow, but you won't go through all the withdrawal effects again. Believe me, it's better to do it now than continue eating off plan and then go back in a week or 2. Having done that I know I can never do that again and I have to see this thing through to the bitter end!

As far as veggies go- frozen veggies and prewashed spring mix are my saviors for my busy (or lazy) days. Make it as easy as you can for yourself and it will become a habit.

Last edited by djs06; 01-16-2013 at 12:04 PM.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:33 PM   #4  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

No excuses - you managed to get through the first three weeks, the first is the hardest! You CAN do it! I totally feel you on the busy schedule - I have 2 kids under age 6, I work full time, run a baking business on the side, work a third job as a personal aid, and my husband is a full time student. I get it. But as busy women, we also know that the key to staying on top of everything is planning ahead. IP is no different. For the first two months I was on IP, I took an hour one day a week to plan EVERY meal and snack for my entire week. I wrote it out and posted it to my fridge so I would never get lost. I also packed an extra drink packet and bar in my pocketbook on the off chance I got stuck somewhere.

If you have trouble getting the veggies in, think about what is getting in your way. Is it just timing, forgetting to have them ready and running out of time to make them? Chop a few days worth up and bag them in your fridge so all you have to do is grab a bag and know you have your 2 cups. If it's food boredom, try out some of the purees in the Fun with Veggie Purees thread - many folks use them in the IP soups, as gravy on their meat, etc.

You have the tools to get it done - time to set your mind to it and go forward. What happened before doesn't matter. What happens tomorrow matters completely - so make it count
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:43 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 214/183/160

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by karcher View Post
I'm three full weeks into the Ideal Protein Protocol, down 11lbs, and today have "fallen off the wagon". I've been scolding myself enough and I could really use some encouragement and tips on how to get my mentality back on track. I know it sounds pathetic but I really want to be healthy and changing my view of food is going to be a big part of that. I have a very busy schedule (taking care of children) and it can be hard to keep on track, there are times I can't seem to get all the veggies in. Advice and encouragement anyone???
Chopping up raw vegetables 2 times a week REALLY helps me. It is so easy to grab a serving or two if you are in a hurry. I use cucumber, peppers and zucchini. Keep a day or two ahead on your food if you can. It really helps when you get super busy. Good luck. You had 3 weeks of OP, don't let 1 day derail you. You can do this!
Alma4343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:02 PM   #6  
IP Start: 8/17/12

S/C/G: 183/150/150

Height: 5'5"

karcher,
Just get back on the wagon and stop beating yourself up. Djs06 made a really good point. "You were consistent for 21+ days. You had 1 day of slip up(s). " By getting back on the wagon NOW you ensure that the 1 day slip up doesn't become a 21+ day slip up.

If you can determine WHY you fell off and what you can do to stop it next time, that is progress!
cbl70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:10 PM   #7  
Kara - Restart 8/23/2013

S/C/G: 277.4/214/160

Height: 5' 3"

I don't get all my veggies in either, but I do what I can to get them in. Dill pickles are my savor in that area.

No excuses, just do it, make it work for you! I have 4 kids, work outside the home full time, right now have a husband who is working 90 hrs a week, am the PTO Secretary along with volunteer for other things and have to run the kids to practices etc.... I do what works for me 2 RTD shakes and get my veggies in, sometimes it's only a cup during lunch with lettuce but at least I am getting them in. I will admit when my grandma passed away Friday and since then I have not gotten in my veggies at lunch because of us traveling it was hard to do (we were in a small town too at lots of family functions) but I am back today with my 2 cups.

Last edited by Calisto; 01-16-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Calisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:42 PM   #8  
Started IP 1/14/2012

S/C/G: 286/165/169

Height: 5'9"

Just do it seems to be the theme of the thread. I agree. However I know that is sometimes easier said than done. I find coming here to check in, to absorb what others are doing and pay attention to what I'm doing / saying is what helps get me motivated. I have also just started to read the book "The Beck Diet Solution" which is about cognitive therapy and behavioural modification in respect to losing and maintaining weight. I'm only on the first chapter but so far she really focuses in on the self talk and reversing the patterns that start people down the path to falling off the wagon.

So rather than beating yourself up and talking about what you aren't doing right, reverse that and think about what you have done right. What days went really well and how can you expand on that. What vegetables do you like the most or what is easiest to prepare so you have those in mind as your go-tos.

Keep in touch so the rest of us can support you with positive vibes!
KitKat169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:30 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 180/160/140

Day two fully back on track! It's my sister's birthday today and she is having a party tonight... I am bringing veggies and dip and have made sure I have plenty of cucumber sliced! My wonderful husband is making me dinner before we go so I won't be hungry and not tempted as much.

I want this! I am worth this! Here we go...

ps. Thank you all for your support and helping to readjust my perspective! You're awesome!!!

Last edited by karcher; 01-18-2013 at 12:31 PM.
karcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:37 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Great news! Proud of you!
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:51 PM   #11  
maintenance since 2/16/11

S/C/G: size 18 to 8...75 pounds gone

If you had asked me three years ago...I would have thought it was the end of the world....but after 2 years in maintenance....mastering the art of "on" and "off" is the key to lifelong success.

No biggie...dust off...move on....kick butt
darbs7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:00 PM   #12  
Started IP 1/14/2012

S/C/G: 286/165/169

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Day two fully back on track! It's my sister's birthday today and she is having a party tonight... I am bringing veggies and dip and have made sure I have plenty of cucumber sliced! My wonderful husband is making me dinner before we go so I won't be hungry and not tempted as much.

ps. Thank you all for your support and helping to readjust my perspective! You're awesome!!!
Great job on getting back on track!
KitKat169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:33 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Quote:
YES!!!
IdealProteinNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:03 PM   #14  
Start: Dec. 18, 2017

S/C/G: 211/210/150

Height: 5'5"

Default This was exactly what I needed....

Karcher, I gotta say, I came to the forum just now with intention to write a post practically identical to yours!!! haha I didn't need to, because I read the responses you got, and I feel 100% better. I can't believe this forum...the support and positive energy here is unbelievable. I have tears in my eyes... I got derailed yesterday evening and today could not stop thinking about all the non-diet foods I wished to eat. Also I've been feeling weepy all day, and I'm not sure what's that about...

So, everyone who responded in this thread, THANK YOU!! I got so much out of it. Karcher, you and I are 100% OP today (but I gotta say, I started to actually feel good about that only after reading this thread). This forum is a life saver!!!
learning to fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:59 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 253/StartIP232.2/220.4/145

Karcher and Learning to fly.. I am right there with you! Lets do this! I derailed for a bit, by not being 100% OP. I am ordering what I need and am planning to succeed. I think guilt from that is keeping me back a bit.. Haven't been on here consistantly and kind of hiding away from it. I am up 5 lbs. Probably retaining water, and stalling from not being 100% We know what to do, we just have to embrace it! I too appreciate all the uplifting words!
~My
My2loseW8 is offline   Reply With Quote