View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 12:18 PM   #21
Maggie
Thin Within

Talking Finally Friday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

While out on the west coast some nut job stole our locking gas cap that came with the Jeep. Guess he had a key that would fit to unlock it. Anyway we bought a cap that wasn’t an expensive locking one to have a cap on the way home. When we got back we ordered a gas hatch cover in black from Quadratec® that Will installed on the Jeep last evening and what was so neat it used the existing holes so he didn’t have to drill any other holes in the Jeep to get it installed. It came with keys that aren’t generic and is a door over the existing gas cap installed with those locking screws. I imagine with the gas prices so high these days’ folks are getting gas out of lots of vehicles since it is so easy to do. I wonder if the person who took our cap was fixing to get some gas and got interrupted or if he just wanted the cap. Whichever ~ I am just glad all he got was the cap. We always try to keep at least a half a tank of gas in that vehicle. When I was quite younger I owned a Pinto car that was screaming green. One day I came out of wherever I was and noticed I had a yellow gas cap. Next week I had a red one and then a blue one then a green one that matched my car. I then bought a locking cap and threw the green one under the seat. One day I saw a man with a green car with a yellow cap and asked if he wanted a green cap and gave it to him ~ then I had a yellow cap under my seat and on it went. That game never stopped until I traded that car in on something else.

Also Will had ordered on an auction on line some carbon steel knives and got me some nice kitchen knives for great prices and they are sure pretty. There are swirls on the carbon steel and designs of that sort and the handles are made of pretty wood and bone. One of them is so cute it is a small dagger type that will be a great paring knife. My knife block in the kitchen now has a different look. All of the handles don’t match anymore and I am slowly getting rid of those stainless steel ones I have had for years.

I ordered (with some of my Christmas money) a round grill press by Lodge which is cast iron that will be great for it has a stay cool handle on it. The one I have had for years is square and has ridges on it for panini's to use in my square cast iron pan with ridges when I make them on top of the stove. The new one is round and will not have the ridges and is good for bacon, steak & other things besides sandwiches and can be used on the outside barbie. And another good thing about this press is that it can go into the oven where the one with the plastic knob could not. I season all my cast iron pans then dry them real good in the oven after washing them so they all have to be oven proof for that process. I have uses for both styles.

Will picked up a book for me off the sale table at the library today that is a hoot. It is named Feasting On Asphalt by Alton Brown. What it is ~ is 3 guys that took off on a run along the Mississippi river riding their motor bikes and eating local foods. There are some really interesting different recipes scattered about in the book from their travels. One that caught my eye that I am going to try this coming summer is called “Koolickles.” It calls for 1 gallon jar of dill pickles, 2 packages of non sweetened cherry Kool Aid & a pound of sugar. I will cut the recipe in half and use Splenda® that measures like sugar in it. What you do is drain the juice off the pickles into a large container & add the Kool Aid & sugar to the mixture stirring till dissolved. Remove the pickles from the jar and slice them in half down the middle lengthwise then return them to the jar. Return the liquid to the jar of pickles ~ not all of the liquid will fit but make sure all the pickles are completely covered. Place in the refrigerator for one week before eating. They say, “Strange though they are, these bright pink beauties are extraordinarily refreshing on a hot summer day.”

DONNA FAYE I am not surprised that Jack wouldn’t like that bread if he knows it has ricotta cheese in it ~ however you can’t taste the cheese in it ~ the bread tastes like cake. I never eat just “ricotta cheese” by itself for it does have a strange taste but I cook with it or put some sweetener in it or sugar free jam and use it as a spread on toast. It is a good feeling when someone really appreciates and likes what you knit for them isn’t it. Don’t you just love gifting things you have made for folks. I located that catalogue that offers two different pairs of stripped knee sox and ordered both. They have cashmere in them which should make them very soft and work well under my brace. The catalogue is The Vermont Country Store and they say they are the "purveyors of the practical and hard-to-find." Interesting items are lurking in their pages.

Here is a PS:
For some of you that don’t know how to pronounce Jicama in the recent recipe I posted ~ this is it from Meriam Webster: \’hē-kƏ-mƏ\ . I hope that is helpful in finding it in your local market. I find it pays to know how to pronounce something that you are looking for. It is an edible starchy tuberous root of a tropical American vine (Pachyrhizus erosus) of the legume family that is eaten raw or cooked. I personally have never cooked it because I like it raw so much. I like the fresh crispness of it. There now you have a tutorial on jicama.

Have a great day Magnolias ~ Type at y’all later.

DOWN THE ROAD TO THIN
SUCCESS OCCURS WHEN OPPORTUNITY MEETS PREPARATION

REMEMBER THAT
A SETBACK IS ONLY A SETUP FOR A COMEBACK

Last edited by Maggie : 01-18-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote