Old 01-17-2013, 05:36 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 238.6/218/125

Height: 5'2

Default So it's time to try this again....

3 1/2 years ago I had this rock bottom moment. I was unemployed, almost homeless and the heaviest I had ever been. I was alone and sad.

So I moved in with a friend (not paying rent) and started eating well and hiking 3 days a week. Partly to lose the weight, but mostly to feel better. It worked. I lost 55lbs in 3 months and felt like a new person.

Cue getting back to work full time, school full time and a new boyfriend. Hiking was the first thing to go, it simply took too much time. Then it was eating out all the time with the bf, who eats anything he wants and doesn't gain a lb.

3 years later and i'm 10lbs heavier than I was before the weight loss. I feel sick a lot, i'm always tired but I don't really sleep, and my body hurts all the time.

I have the most wonderful bf anyone could ask for, i'm employed and have my own apartment again but emotionally i'm a mess.

I am on an extremely tight budget and have minimal free time to exercise so I really don't know how i'm going to do it but I can't keep going the way i'm going. I'm totally open to suggestions. I'm tired of feeling uncomfortable and sad all the time.
porchcricket13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:34 PM   #2  

Do what you did before. Eat healthy and exercise. You must put these things ahead of everything else. Especially at first. If you eat out, get steamed veggies and grilled meat or get a salad but watch what you put on it. It cost more to eat out than at home. Don't buy it and it won't be there I go by that a lot. Good luck to you
nomorejellybeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:36 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/195/148

Height: 5'5

hhh
cheerios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:55 PM   #4  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I feel for ya! If you don't have time to hike, no worries. Exercise is not a complete necessity in weight loss, but it is helpful in making you feel better. You can start by just cutting down on the eating out. You have the most wonderful bf, so I'm sure he would be supportive and want you to feel good. Eating at home is also more economical. Stock up on frozen veggies/fruit/beans/etc. If you do eat out, check out the menu before you go if possible so that you have a plan. Drink lots of water and cut out as much of the sugar as possible (which increases cravings). Once you get into the groove, you can add some exercise. It doesn't have to be hiking. You could just dance around in your room or do a workout dvd (you can check some out from the library)....or you can walk if weather permits. Let go of all the self loathing though....be good to yourself and treat yourself with loving kindness and compassion. You've done this before without any help from a bf and now you have that extra support and a job and a place so the recipe for success is already there. Now, it's just time to put the plan into action.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:05 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 238.6/218/125

Height: 5'2

Being overly critical of myself is a constant struggle everywhere in my life. It's odd, it keeps me from getting off my butt and doing something about my weight but then it gets to the point that I get tired of treating myself that way and actually decide to start working on it. I have tried starting with small changes before but the only thing that REALLY worked was a complete overhaul. Though I guess I can't really say that since it all came back, and then some.

I have a few friends suggesting the isogenics diet. To which I reply "I did it all on my own once, I can do it again." Sure the diet is working for them but what about longevity and maintenance? Besides, I don't like the idea of the cleanse days where they aren't allowed to eat anything but almonds and hard boiled eggs. Blech.
porchcricket13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:12 PM   #6  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

It doesn't matter what works for friends. All that matters is what works for you and we're all so different, which explains why there are so many options right here on this very group.

I completely understand the negative mindset. I don't even know what I weigh because after hitting my goal last year, I quickly regained a huge chunk of the weight. I had some starts and major stalls that involved binges that wouldn't stop for months....not only at night...all day long. Last Monday, I decided that was it. I decided that I would go back to what worked before (counting calories and exercising/moving). If I wanted to binge, I ran to the mirror and actually begged myself not to do it (silly, but it helped). I've also cut down on sugar and have been eating fermented food as well as drinking fermented liquids all in an effort to be more health conscious. It was kind of ****-ish at first but I'm feeling so much better. The hardest part is really letting it all click.

As silly as it sounds, every time you have a negative thought, replace it with a positive one. Sit down and write down all the things that are wonderful about you and be super detailed. Then, use those things when you need to because when we're feeling negative, it's hard to think of anything positive. Then, the more you do this, the better you'll (hopefully) feel and the less you'll want to stuff your body with junk.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote