Old 01-17-2013, 10:08 PM   #1  
I'm just saying...

S/C/G: 182.5/see tracker/147

Height: 5'10"

Default Organic Non-Hormones Protein Reference

I finally found the reference I knew I saw about the IP protein being of a certain purer quality. I hope this does not start a whole new controversy and commotion. I get no financial or other benefit (other than losing weight like crazy and loving this diet) from IP. I Just wanted to follow up on the original post I got creamed for. True or not, I don't know, but here it is and it sounds convincing to me:

"37. What is the Whey Protein source? Is it from cows, which are not given Bovine Growth Hormones (BGH) and are the cows grass fed/organic?
The milk used in processing our whey isolates comes from cows raised on small European farms, grass fed and with no hormones. We cannot claim “organic” as the process of extracting the isolates precludes this nomenclature. That being said, the person must understand that an “isolate” is just the pure protein fractions of the total whey, these are issued with a “Certificate of Analysis” showing any traces of heavy metals, hormones, pesticides or any other chemical. The lot is
PLACED IN QUARANTINE (i.e. Not even brought into the lab) until we do our own mass spec assay of the product. If our on analysis does not “jive” with the “Certificate of Analysis” from the European company the product is rejected and returned.

http://www.benchmarkmedicalgroup.com...ht-loss-faq#24
Tuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:38 PM   #2  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

I would be leery of this - if for no other reason than this is just another IP clinic, not IP corporate or the manufacturer. They make statements as though they are the creators of the product, which they are not. And you would think that if this info was a corporate-supplied fact, other clinics (particularly those that promote holistic health) would JUMP on anything that sets IP apart as a non-gmo food. But I haven't found a single other clinic that offers up this info.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:15 AM   #3  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

You're not starting any controversy. You're doing research and that is fantastic!

That said - you have to put your research in context - even if it's claims are accurate. From the ingredients I've seen (which I admit is not much) whey isolate is used very little compared to whey concentrate. Whey isolate has been "purified" and whey concentrate has not.

Furthermore, the entire idea that IP would use whey isolate derived from "cows raised on small European farms, grass fed and with no hormones" sounds like a bunch of malarkey. It may not be, but if IP was so concerned about using the highest quality protein, and concerned about insulin, they would not use whey concentrate at all. Whey concentrate is the cheapest protein powder available and why raises insulin more than any other protein source.

They could use MPI (Milk protein isolate) or egg protein. Better for a number of reasons but significantly more expensive than soy or whey concentrate.

Knowledge is power.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:21 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Most of the IP products seem to come from Quebec. It may be true about the "small European farms" with the original clinics in France but I doubt with the Noth American clinics.

I noticed they were made in Quebec because when I ordered IP products from plain protein I had to pay duty on things that had been sent across the border in the oposite direction in the first place.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:35 AM   #5  
IP Start date 12/18/12

S/C/G: 228.4/171/165

Height: 5 ft 10 inches

Let me ask you, because I am somewhat ignorant about this, I understand about the growth hormone with the cows (We won't give our kids anything but organic milk for this reason..) but what does it do to adults?
BeccaGrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:18 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

this is such an interesting topic, I was a chemist for 25 yrs and did alot of "government" testing and I am using government as for my own benefit. The fact of the matter is, when I would take in bottled water and test it, it was nothing more than "good" tap water, etc. Now, We do eat local grass fed beef, no hormones and organic milk and veggies when at all possible. The thing with the hormones is that they are hormones and that is what regulates the body and I could go on and on here, but won't. I just want to say that the amount of hormone that one may get in an isolate product would be sooooooooooo minimal, as to not make any difference at all. If you use alternatives, which I do now, just shop for the "isolate" vs concentrate and don't worry about the hormones. Make sure you always wash your veggies super well and Enjoy LIFE!
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:25 AM   #7  
I'm just saying...

[QUOTE=BeccaGrim;4597169]Let me ask you, because I am somewhat ignorant about this, I understand about the growth hormone with the cows (We won't give our kids anything but organic milk for this reason..) but what does it do to adults?[/QUOTE

Well, I am not claiming to be an expert in this area and I am sure this will start a flurry of objections, but it stands to my logic and reason that any unnecessary drugs, synthetic hormones and antibiotics cannot be good for the human body. There is research linking those hormones to cancer for one. But there are also tremendous vested interests that will tell you that organic food is no better than non organic.

I believe in observing things for myself and listening to my intuition and my body. There is no question that our population is getting less and less healthy and to think that constantly bombarding the body with toxins, chemicals, drugs, etc. (in the food we eat and the air we breath, the cosmetics, household and laundry products, perfumes, air "fresheners" and so on that we constantly use), has no ill effects on our bodies is to my mind just the result of false information and propaganda from industries that make untold billions off these products and would like us to think otherwise.

A client of min told me his old Italian mother used to say: If something does not make sense, follow the money.

That is all just my opinion of course, based on my observations of my own body and other people's bodies and sifting through tons of information in these areas and deciding for myself which source I trust, and which I don't and mostly, what makes sense to me.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:10 PM   #8  

Short version:

Additionally, GMO crops that are made to withstand Roundup (soy, corn) have been found to have so many problems they are banned in many European countries. I've done lots of reading. And the whey made from milk from cows given rBGH - again, just do some reading. This has also been banned many places, mostly b/c we DON'T KNOW long term effects. Why take a chance?

I like this quote: follow the money.

I try to stick with as natural and healthy as possible. It took me 8 months after hearing about IP to finally "give in" and decide to do it because of the processed foods used by IP. I decided I'd do it for the short run for long-term health benefit of being a normal weight.

We buy our meat and eggs from small organic farms. We don't drink milk. The whey protein I use (besides IP) is non rBGH. We try as hard as we can to avoid Monsanto soy and corn (impossible when you eat out). We buy all our produce local and organic as much of the year as possible from local farm markets

Everyone should make their own knowledge-based decisions about what is "in" their food or what their food is made of.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:40 PM   #9  
I'm just saying...

I couldn't agree with you more Lisa. Right on!
Old 01-19-2013, 01:29 PM   #10  
Embracing the suck

If I was concerned about hormones and following the alternative protocol I would buy my protein from True Protein.

You can get all kinds of protein - milk isolate to grass fed whey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuli View Post
But there are also tremendous vested interests that will tell you that organic food is no better than non organic.

I believe in observing things for myself and listening to my intuition and my body.
Organic vs non organic is an interesting topic but most people have no idea what organic actually means. The best example of this is that for some reason people seem to think that organic means no pesticides when in fact the only thing organic means is not synthetic. Natural chemicals can be just as unhealthy as synthetic ones and synthetic chemicals can be benign to your health. Thus, one being better than another for your health is highly dependant on the source and methods used at the source be it "organic" or not.

As for belief via observation ... well I'll just say that is one way to do it. Personally I'm very thankful for science.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:34 PM   #11  

TULI I think the thing that convinced me last time was when SUzanna from 3FC asked IP to verify the info you have and they wouldn't say it was true. We buy local and buy fresh as much as we can as well. Don't you wish more people were concerned with this?
maezy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:52 PM   #12  
I'm just saying...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maezy1 View Post
TULI I think the thing that convinced me last time was when SUzanna from 3FC asked IP to verify the info you have and they wouldn't say it was true. We buy local and buy fresh as much as we can as well. Don't you wish more people were concerned with this?
Yes, I do wish people became more aware of these issues and start fighting against those who only care about a quick buck. And yes, I also do not think anymore that IP is organic. I just wanted to post the place where I read it. And maybe if enough people wrote to IP they would actually listen.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:01 PM   #13  
Embracing the suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuli View Post
Yes, I do wish people became more aware of these issues and start fighting against those who only care about a quick buck. And yes, I also do not think anymore that IP is organic. I just wanted to post the place where I read it. And maybe if enough people wrote to IP they would actually listen.
IP uses all kinds of non organic substances in their products. The protein is just one aspect. They would have to raise their already expensive product prices if they changed to organic protein sources to maintain the same profit margin.

If you want to follow the IP protocol organically it would be extremely easy to do. You can order from true protein and get organic protein sweetened with stevia. Organic vegtables ... organic oil ... organic meat.

Simple
Old 01-19-2013, 02:26 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
As for belief via observation ... well I'll just say that is one way to do it. Personally I'm very thankful for science.
However, those of us who understand statistics know that science can be manipulated to show whatever they "want" to show. Large corporations fund most of the "research". Hmmm...follow the money.

Nothing wrong with a bit of observation, as well.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:01 PM   #15  
I'm just saying...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
However, those of us who understand statistics know that science can be manipulated to show whatever they "want" to show. Large corporations fund most of the "research". Hmmm...follow the money.

Nothing wrong with a bit of observation, as well.
Hear hear! Besides, just because it's touted as scientific, doesn't make it so great, does it? What about Thalidomide and Atom Bombs - to name but just a couple of marvelous scientific inventions.... And yes, many of those scientists are bought (funded by the vested interests) and only set out to "prove" what they are paid to prove and cover up what their masters don't want us to know. Like the fact that psychiatric drugs most often do not resolve anything, cause violent suicidal and homicidal behavior and other untold harm whereas natural therapies - which "alas" cannot be patented, sold at exorbitant fees and billed to insurance and can actually handle the suffering individual much better with no horrific side effects and terrible withdrawal symptoms which keep them hooked - get suppressed.

Unfortunately, we are indoctrinated into believing the "authorities", the media, and various other sacred cow institutes and would rather listen to them than open our eyes and see for ourselves.