Old 01-12-2013, 01:40 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 206/162/160

Height: 5'9"

Question Your favorite alternatives

I am looking for a good RTD chocolate shake alternative. Also, how about bars, does anyone use the supreme peanut butter and jelly bars?

I would like to know everyones favorite alternative.
frd2all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:00 PM   #2  
Started IP 01/01/13

S/C/G: H-247/S-187.2/ C-137.2/G-125

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by frd2all View Post
I am looking for a good RTD chocolate shake alternative. Also, how about bars, does anyone use the supreme peanut butter and jelly bars?

I would like to know everyones favorite alternative.
I use all alternatives, and I really like the EAS AdvantEDGE RTD drinks. I buy the chocolate fudge and heat them for "hot chocolate", and I like the vanilla also. They also have a rich dark chocolate and caramel I've yet to try, and I buy them at Target or Walmart. They have been recommended here as very comparable to IP RTDs.

I don't have a peanut butter and jelly bar to suggest, but if you like peanut butter and chocolate, Pure Protein makes ones that I think is delicious (also bought at Target or Walmart, and also recommended here as comparable to IP).
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:14 PM   #3  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

There are several alternatives threads where favorites/recommendations have been discussed at length. You may want to browse through them and see if your question has been answered already

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...phase-1-a.html

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...ernatives.html

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...se-1-talk.html
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:27 AM   #4  
Started IP 12/6/12

S/C/G: 174/137/134

Height: 5'8"

Hey scorbett ... Question for you since I know you've tried a number of the Syntrax Nectar products: I have tried a few of the cold drinks and found that they tasted great and dissolved quite easily, even without a shaker. However, I tried the Latte this morning, mixing it with espresso and hot water and I can't say it tasted great (nothing like the IP cappuccino) and it was extremely lumpy despite a lot of stirring. I'm wondering if I just got a old packet since it seems so inconsistent with what's been reported here.

TIA.
bubbleblower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:51 PM   #5  
Reboot 9/2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbleblower View Post
Hey scorbett ... Question for you since I know you've tried a number of the Syntrax Nectar products: I have tried a few of the cold drinks and found that they tasted great and dissolved quite easily, even without a shaker. However, I tried the Latte this morning, mixing it with espresso and hot water and I can't say it tasted great (nothing like the IP cappuccino) and it was extremely lumpy despite a lot of stirring. I'm wondering if I just got a old packet since it seems so inconsistent with what's been reported here.

TIA.
Weird - I had picked up a packet of the cappuccino and didn't have an issue with dissolving, but I grabbed another one, I'll try it out today or tomorrow and see if it gets lumpy, maybe I got lucky with my first packet - I'll let you know!
Old 01-13-2013, 04:59 PM   #6  
Started IP 12/6/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
Weird - I had picked up a packet of the cappuccino and didn't have an issue with dissolving, but I grabbed another one, I'll try it out today or tomorrow and see if it gets lumpy, maybe I got lucky with my first packet - I'll let you know!
Thanks! I have a few more I can check as well. This morning, I made it by adding it to espresso and hot water. Maybe it would work better if I mixed it cold and then heated it in the microwave afterward.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:04 PM   #7  
Reboot 9/2014

Quote:
Thanks! I have a few more I can check as well. This morning, I made it by adding it to espresso and hot water. Maybe it would work better if I mixed it cold and then heated it in the microwave afterward.
The only other thing I can think of is maybe not enough liquid? I have that problem sometimes with other packets - I like to mix the Cocomint Creme pudding/shake mix with coffee to make a Peppermint Mocha, but unless I use at least 12-14oz of coffee it gets a little lumpy.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:15 PM   #8  
Started IP 12/6/12

Quote:
The only other thing I can think of is maybe not enough liquid? I have that problem sometimes with other packets - I like to mix the Cocomint Creme pudding/shake mix with coffee to make a Peppermint Mocha, but unless I use at least 12-14oz of coffee it gets a little lumpy.
Don't think that was it. I put the two shots of espresso and then added hot water to fill a large coffee mug. All in all, I'd say it was about 12 ounces of liquid.

ETA: I just went back to double check the date on the other packets I have and they're in 2015. No guarantee that was the case for the one this morning (and the envelope went out in the trash pickup this morning), but I'd say it's a pretty safe bet.

Last edited by bubbleblower; 01-13-2013 at 05:48 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:51 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 230/230/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
There are several alternatives threads where favorites/recommendations have been discussed at length. You may want to browse through them and see if your question has been answered already

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...phase-1-a.html

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...ernatives.html

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...se-1-talk.html
Thanks for posting these scorbett!

There really are some great "closed" threads that I have found with some research Just takes time to look around and take notes!

Last edited by cactusflower; 01-13-2013 at 06:57 PM.
cactusflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:12 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

I love love love the Supreme Peanut Butter & Jelly. Healthsmart also has a peanut butter and jelly bar and it is excellent.

I use Muscle Milk Lite chocolate RTD in the morning over ice with cold pressed flavored coffee and I like it. I just ordered and recieved in one day the Nectar Chocolate Truffle, has great reviews. I keep on hand a couple flavors of the EAS shakes ( WalMart, Sams or Target) There is also a chocolate crispy (Nestle crunch type) bar from Proti that I keep in the house at all times. lol. Like Scorbett said check out the alternative links for some great products and reviews.
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:22 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 180/148.0/160

Height: 5'11"

I love the Pure Protein bars, especially the chocolate peanut butter and chocolate caramel peanut. They are "restricted" just like the IP bars. I also use the Proti Diet hot chocolate with my coffee every morning to make a "mocha latte". I also have several other products from Proti Diet and they seem very similar to the IP. I like the Proti Diet oatmeals better than the IP and they are not considered "restricted". Same goes for the Proti Diet honey nut cereal. All of the things I have tried are because I got ideas from the threads. I definitely think it is worth taking the time over the next weeks reading through them!
gazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:56 PM   #12  
Reboot 9/2014

Quote:
Don't think that was it. I put the two shots of espresso and then added hot water to fill a large coffee mug. All in all, I'd say it was about 12 ounces of liquid.

ETA: I just went back to double check the date on the other packets I have and they're in 2015. No guarantee that was the case for the one this morning (and the envelope went out in the trash pickup this morning), but I'd say it's a pretty safe bet.
OK so I had the Syntrax cappuccino last night - it mixed up fine, no lumps and made a nice creamy layer on the top. I used about 8oz hot coffee to make it up. The only thing that comes to mind is that I put the mix in the bottom of the cup and then add the coffee - sometimes with other mixes if I add the packet to the liquid that's when I have lumps. Hope that helps!
Old 01-16-2013, 06:47 PM   #13  
Started IP 12/6/12

Quote:
OK so I had the Syntrax cappuccino last night - it mixed up fine, no lumps and made a nice creamy layer on the top. I used about 8oz hot coffee to make it up. The only thing that comes to mind is that I put the mix in the bottom of the cup and then add the coffee - sometimes with other mixes if I add the packet to the liquid that's when I have lumps. Hope that helps!
Yep, that helps! I'll give it a shot. Thanks!
Old 01-17-2013, 05:02 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/175

I had the exact same problem as bubbleblower when I added by syntrax nectar packet to the water (I was making a hot chocolate with the chocolate truffle packet), instead of pouring out the packet first and then adding water to it.
LosingLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:56 PM   #15  
Started IP 12/6/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosingLawyer View Post
I had the exact same problem as bubbleblower when I added by syntrax nectar packet to the water (I was making a hot chocolate with the chocolate truffle packet), instead of pouring out the packet first and then adding water to it.
Yep, tried it the way scorbett indicated, putting the packet first, and it mixed just fine. And tasted great!