Old 01-16-2013, 10:53 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 320/281/240

Height: 5'9"

Smile IP and Metformin

Hello, I have a question and hoping I can get some answers here. I have PCOS and was previously prescribed 2000mg of Metformin a day. I have been on Ideal Protein for 5 days and was wondering should I still be taking the Metformin while on this diet. Metformin tends to have side effects that make you "go" all the time which I didn't know if that was a good or bad thing considering we are already not getting enough of everything on this diet.

Would love to hear what everyone else is doing that are taking Metformin. Did you guys stop taking? Cut the dose? Did it affect your weight loss? Any advice would be so appreciated.
darlamarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:07 AM   #2  
Began IP 3-29-2012

S/C/G: 470/316/220

Height: 6'00"

Talk to your doctor before changing your meds. I was taking 1000 mg twice a day and I was cut down to 500 mg twice a day because my A1C dropped. It actually dropped well below the Pre-Diabetic numbers and the reason for the Metformin prescription. My doctor wants me to keep taking it because I've been so over weight for so many years, she still thinks my body needs the help.

Again please talk to your doctor and good luck.
usmcvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:13 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 239.6/see ticker/160

Height: 5'3"

Hi, I too have PCOS. I tried Metformin a few years back and like you said, it makes you go and it made me sick! I stopped it b/c it wasn't helping me. I believe that once you lose the weight with IP, you won't need to take it anymore, but I suggest you give your Doctors a call and see what they say. I wish I had a better answer, but I do know that any type of lifestyle change that cuts/minimizes carbohydrates/sugars will do wonders for us PCOS peeps. Our bodies do not like carbs and rather than breaking them/burning them, we tend to store them. This makes it impossible to lose weight - almost! Once I started losing weight, I felt better, I didn't feel sluggish. It is a direct reflection of having almost no carbs/sugar. I am rambling on and I am sure you know all of this already It's just exciting to finally have a plan that works! Hopefully you will get your answer!
lboogs311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:03 PM   #4  
Starting over: 7/29/2015

S/C/G: 257/251/150

Height: 5'3"

I was prescribed Metformin and Victoza back during the summer because I developed diabetes. So perhaps my experience differs from yours, since I wasn't given it for PCOS.
Just had bloodwork done, and my A1C level is almost in the normal range, so I was able to stop the Victoza and cut my Metformin in half (1000 mg once a day instead of twice a day).
As for the unpleasant side effect of having to go all the time, that's much better for me now. Lots of people have trouble with constipation on this diet. For me, it seemed like the Metformin and IP sort of cancelled each other out, because I haven't had any last problems with either constipation or diarrhea. (I did "go" all the time when it was just Metformin alone, although it did get better eventually.)

I agree that you need to talk with your doctor before doing anything with your meds. Good luck!
tam67green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:27 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 320/281/240

Height: 5'9"

Thanks everyone for the advice! Will definitely call the doctor
darlamarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:31 PM   #6  
Started IP 12-26-2012

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by darlamarie View Post
Hello, I have a question and hoping I can get some answers here. I have PCOS and was previously prescribed 2000mg of Metformin a day. I have been on Ideal Protein for 5 days and was wondering should I still be taking the Metformin while on this diet. Metformin tends to have side effects that make you "go" all the time which I didn't know if that was a good or bad thing considering we are already not getting enough of everything on this diet.

Would love to hear what everyone else is doing that are taking Metformin. Did you guys stop taking? Cut the dose? Did it affect your weight loss? Any advice would be so appreciated.
I have PCOS and Type II diabetes. I'm on the maximum allowed dosage of Metformin, and my GP told me if I didn't get my A1C down, I was going on insulin shots. I've been on IP for almost 4 weeks, and my morning highs (which ran between 180-200) are now down around 110. Since I've brought that down, I'm hoping that slowly I can cut back on my Metformin. Do not do anything without a doctor's consultation though. My doc is fully aware I'm on IP, and is keeping a close eye on my blood levels.

Metformin can keep a person with PCOS from turning diabetic. I wasn't diagnosed with PCOS until it was too late. You do NOT want to become diabetic.
leannekarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:13 PM   #7  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by leannekarella View Post
Metformin can keep a person with PCOS from turning diabetic. I wasn't diagnosed with PCOS until it was too late. You do NOT want to become diabetic.
Thanks for the info. I do have PCOS and didn't end up taking the Metformin but I went to see a hormone dr. today and he's putting me on some form of progesterone -- says it may help my 'stache I'm getting blood work etc. all done so I can monitor this stuff better, but your post confirmed for me the urgency of gettin' everything all checked out. I'm sorry you didn't find out about your PCOS sooner -- it sure would have answered a lot of your questions, as well as prevented the diabetes. Here's hoping IP continues to have positive results for you!
IP43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:54 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 174/174/125

Height: 5' 2"

My coach told me that after i lose 20 pounds, I need to see my endo and have my blood work again.
I agree, the metformin made me go a lot, and ip seems to have made things normal for me. Very happy about that!
LizJazz is offline   Reply With Quote