Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-15-2013, 10:17 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 280/229/140

Height: 5'4"

Unhappy treadmill-walking-shin splints

I have been going on the treadmill 4 times a week and walking. I havent really upped my speed much but lately my right leg burns while walking. Shin splints I'm gathering. I've tried to walk it off but it wont subside and it's just horribel. All other parts of my body want to keep going but my lower right leg ( I think the side i put most weight on it) just wants to give up. Any suggestions as to how to get past the pain without lowering my work out? I dont want to go backwards with my speed and or distance and time on the treadmill. And during the day as I sit at my desk job I am doing shin excersises,( as recommended)..
hayem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:45 AM   #2  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

I just started to WATP last Monday and got shin splints by Wednesday :-(. However, I perservered, by doing a couple of things. One is the toe taps and heel raises that stretch that area. The other is that I slowed down a bit.

I know I need to walk faster for maximizing calories burned, but I'm assuming that walking more slowly is better than not walking. It's been a week now and they're getting better.

Good luck!
bethFromDayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:32 PM   #3  

thanks for your reply, glad to know that i'm not the only lonely soldier.... after googling , i'm going to try to put the treadmill at a 1% incline today, I was reading that the incline will actually be less of a jolt on my shins... I'll let you know if I come back tonight limping,, lol
Old 01-15-2013, 01:09 PM   #4  
Nicole

S/C/G: 252/ticker/150

Height: 5' 10"

Have you been fitted for shoes? If your shoes aren't right for your gait, they can cause problems. You can try wrapping/taping your leg while walking. Also, make sure you're not increasing your distance too quickly. You should only increase total distance by 10% per week.
Nikel1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:55 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 257/257/157

Height: 5'7"

Shoes are a huge factor in shin splints. I used to wear cheap Nikes that I bought because they were cute...and I was taking a boot camp class and getting the most awful shin splints when I walked or ran. The instructor told me to invest in better shoes, so I went and spent $150 on Saucony's...I went to a place that analyzed my walk and recommended that particular fit for me.
I didn't get any shin splints at all for over a year...and when I started getting them again, it was because it was time to replace the shoes.
PinkLotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:02 PM   #6  

I think that will be my next step, ( pardon the pun, lol).... I am wearing good NIKE's but I think thats still my problem. I do know I have a tendency to walk on the outer sides of my heels, ( I"m guessing because of the large thighs keeping me from doing a proper gait).. well I will invest and see /hope that keeps them darn shins from screaming at me ..Thank You
Old 01-15-2013, 02:11 PM   #7  

Height: 5"6

I echo the shin splint/shoe discussion! I love running and only ever got shin splints from wearing cheap, walmart sneakers. Invest in something quality. I eventually had to get orthotics, as I tore a ligament wearing Saucony shoes for over-pronators (when your ankles angle inwards, towards each other). Honestly- shoes are the best health investments you can make yourself, long-term!
NorthernChick13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:12 PM   #8  

Height: 5"6

Oh, and even at 152, I had a terrible gait. It's not your thighs!
NorthernChick13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:24 PM   #9  
Queen of Everything

S/C/G: 178/169.5/150

If you do have legit shin splints, let them heal before you take off again ... Not doing so can cause major problems!! I, as well, get them terribly - no matter how much I spend on a good pair of shoes.
MagicEyez is offline   Reply With Quote