South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 01-14-2013, 09:24 PM   #1  
Noob :)

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'3"

Default Starting the Beach...

I'm starting, well... when I get to the grocery store again. I'm not sure what the weather is doing outside, but the roads are icy, and I might not get out again until Thursday.

That being said... I have to do SOMETHING. I am 28, 5'3" and 250 lbs. Oh that number makes me sick. What makes me more sick is not having any energy and on top of it all... I have Sharp's/Mixed Connective Tissue Disease. I never know if something is hurting (back, knees) because of the MCTD or the weight. Probably both.

Either way... I'm starting this week and I will beat this. I will NOT stay this large. It just isn't going to happen. Not an option.

I have never tried to really do anything about my weight. In high school I was 170-180ish, and even though I was called hurtful things, told by my mom that I was fat and she wouldn't buy me new clothes till I lost weight... things like that... it never stuck. It never made me WANT to lose weight. I've been here before, and have THOUGHT about losing weight but then I stop.

I can't stop. I can't NOT do it. I'm afraid, because I'm getting closer and closer, inching upwards, towards the 300 mark. I can't get that big. So... yeah.

I do have a question: We are very, very low budget. We do what we can, but I am wondering if I can follow this plan and not have to spend more than we have. Anyways. Thanks for the help.
itsnikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:30 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 162/145/145

Height: 5' 9 3/4

Nikki!! I can on,y speak for my own experiences, but when my weight is down I do feel so much better. A few years ago I had back surgery and I wasn't even 40! Just take it one day at a time. SB really does work and is definitely doable for a positive, permanent lifestyle change. Check out the recipe pages, BIG help as I am not much if a cook lol

Nikki I find I spend less because I am not buying anything I should not be eating. Also, I am eating out a lot less which helps too. I try to cook meals that make multiple servings than can be frozen. This way I can stretch my trips to the grocery store. Hope this helps

Last edited by jekel383; 01-14-2013 at 09:34 PM.
jekel383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:31 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

Good for you, Nikki, for taking the first step, and best wishes to you! Make sure you read the book, stop in here daily, and get lots and lots of support. For many of us (including myself), this is our soul support. Some of the other chicks can chime in (cyndi!) on how much their body inflammation was controlled by a good diet.

On the budget side, you can do this if you plan (which you have to do with south beach) and shop wisely. I buy the individually sealed chicken breasts at 1.99/lb (and never more) and our family of four more often then not needs only 2 for supper (and there's leftovers!). Make your own beans instead of buying canned. The vegetable stables in my home are carrots, celery, and onions, which are all cheap. I buy smaller volumes of broccoli, and cauliflower is cheap as well (and it's growing on me!). I buy some items in bulk (hummus, lean burger, broth, some fruit and veggies) at Sam's.

This is such a healthy way of eating, and I hope you enjoy it. The first week or so is tough - with sugar withdrawal, but hang out in the phase I thread, as well as the daily thread. Look for meal ideas on the meal thread.

Good luck!!
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:42 AM   #4  
Noob :)

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'3"

Thank y'all so much! And thanks for the budget tips too.
itsnikki is offline   Reply With Quote