Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-14-2013, 03:48 AM   #1  

S/C/G: sig

Height: 5'10"

Default Airplanes: The worst place to be fat

Brief synopsis of my story to begin: I'm a college student, due to a death in the family I took a semester off. The first year I went to Chicago for College (2.5 years ago) I went in and 290 and in just 2 months got down to 265. Since then I have gained all of it back and more putting me at my heaviest around 320. Finally yesterday, I got to come back to school in Chicago from California, and for the first time in my entire life I had to ask for an extender. Humiliating doesn't even cover it. The good news is, I live with a friend who is going on the weight loss journey with me, I have a "free" membership to the school gym, and we can keep each other on track.

Just venting, SO frustrated.

Any similar experiences?
Sunday115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:47 AM   #2  
Stubborn.

S/C/G: 197/See ticker/135

Height: 5'6''

Ugh...I've never had that happen to me, but airplanes are uncomfortable enough without adding in humiliation. *Hugs* I'm sorry that happened, but you're making changes for the better, so it'll probably the last time it happens to you, at least. Good luck to you and your friend! You've managed to lose decent amount of weight in the past, so you can most certainly do it again. Go go go!
Hotaruchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:04 AM   #3  

Height: 5'8.5"

Oh for sure I've had to ask for the extender... especially on the smaller commuter planes. But I am pretty sure I won't have to do it next time I fly... here's hoping!!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:05 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 222/Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

I think it was the extensive travel I have to do with my job that set me on my journey about a year ago. I never needed an extender but it was a close thing on some airlines - seatbelts vary in length by a lot from airline to airline. It was also feeling so crowded in middle seats and not being able to bend at the waist enough to reach under the seat in front to get my stuff.
annieway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:11 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

Oh yes, I've had to ask for an extender. I took to only flying first class when I do fly, but since I'm retired basically just decided to drive everywhere. That was easier than losing the weight!

Aside from the seat belt extender humiliation, there's the joy of trying to get the tray table down or out of the arm rest and not being able to get it situated correctly. But my absolutely worst time was when I was in an aisle seat in coach and the two seats to the right of me were still empty. An older couple realized they'd be sitting next to me and the husband said to his wife in a voice loud enough that everyone in the area could hear "You sit next to the fatty -- I don't want her flab touching me." Thought I would just die right then.
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:27 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 257/207/135

Height: 5'6"

I do not fly often so I have not had that experience. However, I had to get off of a roller coaster because the bar would not click shut. This is AFTER I sat in the test seat outside of the ride to ensure a right fit. I have never been so humilated in my life.
jp4ga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:17 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

When I got to a point where I was worried about fitting in the seats and using the extender, I simply did not fly anymore. Lots of excuses out there for driving instead, and I used them all.

Last time I flew, I could actually cross my legs while sitting. It was awesome and it's one of the things that I think about when I consider eating too much of something that's not good for me. Helps keep me in line.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:22 PM   #8  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

Not going to lie, a huge motivator for me starting this diet in August was the fact that I was supposed to go to Mexico next month with a friend. Even at 75 pounds lighter, I'm afraid to travel because I don't know how I'll fit in the seats.

At my heaviest last January, I went to a comedy show held in an arena. I was in tears by the end of it, because I couldn't fit in the seat properly, and my back and thighs were pinched. It was humiliating.

Fast forward to this October, after losing 50lbs. I went to a concert in the same arena (I'd purposely booked seats in the back row, so I could just stand directly behind instead of sitting), but I decided to try the chairs, and I fit! It was a victory, and tangible proof that I actually had lost as much as the scale said.

You'll have that moment, and it will feel awesome.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:29 PM   #9  

S/C/G: See ticker

Height: 5"3

I laugh now, but I was stopped by a guard who shouted at me for not taking off my wallet belt which I was " concealing" under my shirt. I had to lift my shirt to show my fat stomach and prove I was not concealing anything.

Sad to say that even that wasn't my rock bottom.
Wheresmychin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:37 PM   #10  

S/C/G: HW:325/CW:290/GW:179

Height: '5"11

At my heaviest I had to get off of a roller coaster....that has been one of the most humiliating moments I have had related to my weight. Since then I have lost about 50 lbs. I was on a plane in July at 275 and was very afraid of having to have an extender, but I was surprisingly pretty comfortable.
MegaMegan2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:38 PM   #11  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

I don't think I've even attempted to get on a fair ride since I was 15 and at my slimmest.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:33 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

I learned to ask for an aisle seat as well as an extender - I then lifted the outside arm rest and could hang my fatness into the aisle and not terribly crowd the person next to me.

In 2009 I flew a red eye flight and had this petite little thing next to me - she was so nice. She casually asked if I wanted to put my drink on her tray because it was obvious I could put my tray down. I was so embarassed even though she was trying to make it no big deal.

Fast forward to August 2011 - I was down to about 150 pounds and could fit easily in the seats. I was in the Atlanta airport and there are booths with HOMELAND SECURITY written over them. A very tall, beefy, no nonsense black woman montioned me over. She started at my license, at me, back at my license and then in a total DEADPAN voice she says "You're all set and congratulations" and hands my license back. Confused I was like "Excuse me?" She says again in a deadpan voice but also like she is talking to a child "You are ALL SET and congratulations on the weight loss." She could tell from my license pic. I muttered thanks and dashed off.

That was a great flight - tons of room to spare in the seat!! A WINDOW seat.

Jen
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:45 PM   #13  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

The last few times I've flown, it's usually been with my very skinny kid, so I got to take advantage of lifting the arm rest between and using some of his extra room, and using his snack tray sometimes too.

Here's hoping my next flight, I fit more comfortably in my own seat!
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:48 PM   #14  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Quote:
Originally Posted by betsy2013 View Post
Oh yes, I've had to ask for an extender. I took to only flying first class when I do fly, but since I'm retired basically just decided to drive everywhere. That was easier than losing the weight!

Aside from the seat belt extender humiliation, there's the joy of trying to get the tray table down or out of the arm rest and not being able to get it situated correctly. But my absolutely worst time was when I was in an aisle seat in coach and the two seats to the right of me were still empty. An older couple realized they'd be sitting next to me and the husband said to his wife in a voice loud enough that everyone in the area could hear "You sit next to the fatty -- I don't want her flab touching me." Thought I would just die right then.
That is so awful. I guess all you can do is remember that weight can go up and down, but an ugly personality lasts forever.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:54 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 309/293/230

Height: 5'8"

I hear ya. We often fly those little tiny commuter plans. Mr. SF and I usually try to get the two-person seats so we don't have to crowd anyone else. One of the last times we flew, the stewardess had Mr. SF lift up his stomach to show her that he had his belt buckled. I could tell he was embarassed
sugarfreedom is offline   Reply With Quote