Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-10-2013, 11:38 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/187/140

Height: 5'6''

Default Frustrated, I feel like I'm putting too much focus in the wrong places...

It's been nearly two months since I've made the committed decision to living a healthier life and improving my body. Progress has been minimal, but it's still there.

I've relapsed into bad habits several times now, and it's been quite upsetting. Sometimes I feel like I'm putting too much focus into what I'm not supposed to do. Don't eat this. Don't eat that.

I was reading an article that says it can be really counter-productive focus on our unwanted habits:

Quote:
The unfortunate truth is that brain science has proved it impossible to delete hard-wired habits. The only way to manage undesirable habits is is to stop using them, stop thinking about them, and start forming new habits that weaken and suppress old ones. Unfortunately, it is common practice in the weight loss community to focus on the things you’re not supposed to do
ultramindthinking.com/the-brain-science-of-losing-weight

What do you guys think about this? Do you think focusing on your bad habits can lead to relapses?
LounorteTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:47 PM   #2  

S/C/G: tick'

Height: 5'8

I think the key problem is exactly as you said. You're puting the focus into the negative things. I've pretty over-weight, have been for a while. Ate like a pig and didnt care. The amount of calories I consumed per day before this were astronomical. but since i've started this I've looked at everything positively. Instead of looking up a food item and reading how bad it is for you, and then saying "I'm so mad that I ate that before", turns into "Glad I know now, lets stay way" type of thing.

I went for a walk today for the first time in a long time. (an actual "good" walk). It was a simple 30 minute, 3km walk. and it felt AMAZING. I hold onto those feelings.

I think if you're focusing on bad habits then yes, it can pull you down. But what can't pull you down is thinking positively, and finding little things in yourself to be proud of. Decided to not go for the chocolate ? Be Proud. Took the stairs, not the elevator ? Be proud.

Simple little things.
If you set yourself up for failure, you will fail.

I myself have learned this, in this past week.
Remington90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:58 PM   #3  

Height: 5'8.5"

I agree, and that is one reason why I don't go on "diets" that don't allow me to eat certain things or require me to "count" stuff, etc., but rather focus on eating nutritious foods, trying new things, and still allow me to share meals with friends, etc. My food is actually MUCH more delicious now and I have no desire to go back to the old way of eating.

Also, with my workouts, a lot of times I don't want to go but remind myself how much better I will look and feel if I do... and end up enjoying it. I work at making it FUN!!

I focus on the positive... how much more energy I have, how fun it is to have nice looking clothes, how much better I feel just knowing that I am working toward a solution instead of increasing the problem.

That is another huge benefit of this forum, too. I "hang out" in the threads where people are having fun with this weight loss thing and can laugh about things, as well as sharing their struggles. I join challenges that inspire me and hopefully encourage others.

I love focusing on the positive things I am doing and, at least for me personally, it would become "drudgery" to have lists of things I can't do, can't eat, etc.

Just my two cents' worth.

Last edited by Misti in Seattle; 01-10-2013 at 11:58 PM.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:58 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 174/145.6/130-117

Height: 5feet1

Well I struggle with anxiety and I have heard it said "neurons that fire together wire together." I think that means that once a habit is formed it takes thinking differently multiple multiple times to make that connection weaken and form a new one.

For myself, I have decided to eat any food as long as the "bad" stuff is in small quantities within my calorie limit. The habit I am working to change at the heart of things is stress eating. I have replaced it with burning incense. I tried to "program" myself by burning incense when I was feeling good so that it would have the connection made and invoke similar feelings when I was feeling stressed. This is my own made up experiment and I don't know how scientific it is but it is working so far. I find when I am stressed now I actually crave incense, not food and I have only been doing it for a few months.

I think what that article says to me is that forming a new habit is easier than just deleting an old one with nothing to take it's place. I don't know how you can not focus on what you're not supposed to do and still not do it?!?

Last edited by Fluffypuppy; 01-11-2013 at 12:00 AM.
Fluffypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:00 AM   #5  

Great post, FluffyPuppy! And good idea about changing the association of something!
Old 01-11-2013, 12:01 AM   #6  

Quote:
Instead of looking up a food item and reading how bad it is for you, and then saying "I'm so mad that I ate that before", turns into "Glad I know now, lets stay way" type of thing.
Perfectly said. There is so little to be gained from negativity. Being positive just doesn't come all that naturally to me.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:03 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LounorteTJ View Post
Perfectly said. There is so little to be gained from negativity. Being positive just doesn't come all that naturally to me.
And sometimes it is worth having eaten the bad stuff just to have it give us the reminder that it really was NOT that enjoyable and that we regretted it... a lesson for "next time."
Old 01-11-2013, 12:15 AM   #8  

Fascinating association tactic, Fluffpuppy! Definitely gives me a few ideas for ''tricking'' my brain.

I think the article meant we need to put as much focus as possible on our desired habits. There's no way you can completely divert all attention from what you're not supposed to be doing.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:19 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LounorteTJ View Post
Fascinating association tactic, Fluffpuppy! Definitely gives me a few ideas for ''tricking'' my brain.

I think the article meant we need to put as much focus as possible on our desired habits. There's no way you can completely divert all attention from what you're not supposed to be doing.
That is true, and I don't think we really need to completely divert all our attention from it; but rather to put our focus on the new habits we are developing and seeing THEM as the desired goal; not as something bad. That is also why I personally don't embrace the idea of "cheat days" in our eating (to clarify I am not knocking them for others) as to me that is embracing the idea that eating the bad stuff is to be desired. To me it is desired to keep right on eating the healthful stuff... I want to change my wants. And it is working!
Old 01-11-2013, 12:23 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti in Seattle View Post
And sometimes it is worth having eaten the bad stuff just to have it give us the reminder that it really was NOT that enjoyable and that we regretted it... a lesson for "next time."
Agreed! As I progress I'm learning that occasional relapses are inevitable. The ability to reach my goal has more to with my long term ability to get back on track after setbacks.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:28 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 24W/10-12/10-12

Height: 5', 5"

Search for posts by KAPLODS...She has an amazing point of view on this..and has lost over 100 pounds with this approach.

I agree....focusing on the I cant's are a recipe for failure. I CAN EAT WHATEVER I WANT...just not in the massive quantities that I really want. I still eat pizza, chips, etc. I just don't eat them every day and I eat in much smaller quantities.

For example, I LOVE Chinese food. Went out with DH for lunch and had Chinese for lunch. I tried to stay away from heapings of rice but I had some. I adjusted my dinner calories and ate very small. Also adjusted my calories for breakfast and lunch the next day and exercised. No guilt, no restrictions and I'm still on plan.

I may not lose 100 pounds in 6-months like some of the commercials...but I am losing sensibly and I generally don't feel deprived.

Last edited by free1; 01-11-2013 at 06:28 AM.
free1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:07 AM   #12  

Interestingly, I have changed my eating dramatically, so I don't eat most of the things I did before, but I have learned to love eating this way. I am a big fan of Michael Pollan and think he has a lot of great info about nutrition. I eat mostly organic or local produce in season, and avoid most processed foods, chemicals, sugar, fake sugar, etc., and eat mostly whole fresh foods... lots of fruit and veggies, but also plenty of other things. I have googled a lot to find out what is actually IN the processed foods and it is stuff I most definitely do not want in my system.... in fact I find it appalling. "Real" food actually TASTES much better once the junk is out of my system. It helps that I live in an area where we have PCC Natural Markets so it is easy to get this high quality food, even though I have to drive past several grocery stores to get there!

I would not go back to my old way of eating "whatever I want" for anything!!
Old 01-11-2013, 12:39 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by free1 View Post
I may not lose 100 pounds in 6-months like some of the commercials...but I am losing sensibly and I generally don't feel deprived.
I think your realistic approach will be key to your success. No guilt, no putting yourself down, just steady progress.

And Misti, I hope to one day reach a point where my preferences begin to change all together!
Old 01-11-2013, 01:03 PM   #14  

Ok, so I was once fat, got skinny, and then gained it all back. Now I'm back on the road to being skinny again--but this time I don't have a goal weight, I know that I will always need to monitor myself or else I'll just be back in the same boat that I'm in now...

Anyway, it's easier to discover new yummy foods than to think about all the bad. I'm using a new app called 'AllRecipes.com' and it lets me type in what I want to eat---say chicken and artichokes and it finds recipes for me that are low-cal, low sodium, and low-fat (although, that's what I told it to find, you could set it for however you want). My point is this: find the joy in eating good, flavorful food that's going to satisfy your appetite and then you won't want the bad stuff anymore. I haven't had chocolate in two weeks, and I was addicted to it--seriously, I had chocolate with every meal and as snacks.

You can do it! Stick to your guns and make it happen.
Kaitie9399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:14 PM   #15  

Definitely gonna have to try that app Katie!

And you're right, there is an incredible amount of food out there that is tasty, satisfying, AND conducive to a healthy lifestyle.