Old 01-10-2013, 03:16 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 158/143/143 BF%= 28.6/23.9/25

Height: 5"7'

Default Struggling for meat ideas...

Well I was dreading Phase 2 and for right reason - really having trouble getting my meat X2 in... anyone have any suggestions? I'm just really tired of all the meat...

Those of you on Phases 2 and 3 - can you give me some typical days for you for your protein choices??

Thanks!!
RN2b4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:26 AM   #2  
Started IP 1/14/2012

S/C/G: 286/165/169

Height: 5'9"

I found when I did phase 2 for a period I included more vegetarian choices like tofu which I happen to enjoy but also they were lighter and easier to handle. I also tended to have eggs more often and fish. It was a matter of balancing a heavier protein with a smaller 6 oz portion with a lighter protein at a 8 oz portion for each day.

If you are okay with tofu, then I can post some recipe ideas for you. I have savoury or sweet ideas.
KitKat169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:33 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 164/161.8/145

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RN2b4me View Post
Well I was dreading Phase 2 and for right reason - really having trouble getting my meat X2 in... anyone have any suggestions? I'm just really tired of all the meat...

Those of you on Phases 2 and 3 - can you give me some typical days for you for your protein choices??

Thanks!!
Try searching for the vegetarian threads here (on IP). There are some. While its not common, vegetarians do IP successfully. I'm not a vegetarian but a friend is and she thought briefly about doing the IP protocol. (However, she's not ready to cut back and be disciplined, so all in good time.)

It's great that you are in phase 2, that's a fabulous accomplishment!!
Chloe222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:43 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 234/231/180

Height: 5' 8"

Can of tuna (in water)...

Baked cod or baked chicken with 1 - 2 tsp of EVOO, Fresh garlic (minced), Lemon squeezed and leave slices on top, season to taste. Wrap in foil and last five minutes of cooking I open the foil.

Three fried eggs with hot sauce and season to taste.

Flank steak with a soy sauce made with fresh garlic, fresh ginger and a sweetner. Comes out like a teriaki.

Tofu is super easy too. "fry" it in a pan dip in soy sauce. Goes down quick and easy.
New Englander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:38 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat169 View Post
I found when I did phase 2 for a period I included more vegetarian choices like tofu which I happen to enjoy but also they were lighter and easier to handle. I also tended to have eggs more often and fish. It was a matter of balancing a heavier protein with a smaller 6 oz portion with a lighter protein at a 8 oz portion for each day.

If you are okay with tofu, then I can post some recipe ideas for you. I have savoury or sweet ideas.
I've never tried Tofu but would be interested in experimenting... so if you would be willing to share any recipes, I'll take them!

Thanks everyone else!
Old 01-10-2013, 11:07 AM   #6  
Restart: 1/5/15

S/C/G: 212/199.2/140

Height: 5'9"/36 yo

Do you like egg salad and tuna salad? You can make delicious mayo out of your olive oil allotment for the day and put either on salad or in a tomato.

I also have enjoyed shrimp with lime and cilantro on a salad.

Good luck!
benice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:17 AM   #7  

Height: magmeepEVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat169 View Post

Please post recipes, KitKat. I'm more for the savoury ones, as I'm trying to lessen the sweet tooth thing. Thank you!!
Starshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:48 AM   #8  

taco salad
stir fried pork or seafood or beef WITH veggies
chili (no beans)
chicken soup with veggies (use a rotisserie chicken and just take all the chicken off the carcass)
low carb meatloaf
pork or beef roast (in oven or slow cooker)
use the grill (foreman or outdoors)

Do a google search for low carb recipes. You'll find PLENTY of meat recipes so you won't get bored.

Lots of recipes here: FinnSteven's IP Recipes and Pix from Finland

Read the What are you eating today thread for more ideas. See what everyone else is eating. You could search for those threads and read back for the past month. LOTS of ideas here!

Also check the sticky at the top of the forum for more recipe links: IP Ultimate List Recipes, FAQ, Newbie Guide, Exercise, and other Important Threads
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:52 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
taco salad
stir fried pork or seafood or beef WITH veggies
chili (no beans)
chicken soup with veggies (use a rotisserie chicken and just take all the chicken off the carcass)
low carb meatloaf
pork or beef roast (in oven or slow cooker)
use the grill (foreman or outdoors)

Do a google search for low carb recipes. You'll find PLENTY of meat recipes so you won't get bored.

Lots of recipes here: FinnSteven's IP Recipes and Pix from Finland

Read the What are you eating today thread for more ideas. See what everyone else is eating. You could search for those threads and read back for the past month. LOTS of ideas here!

Also check the sticky at the top of the forum for more recipe links: IP Ultimate List Recipes, FAQ, Newbie Guide, Exercise, and other Important Threads

PER-FECT!

Thanks!
Old 01-10-2013, 08:44 PM   #10  
Started IP 1/14/2012

IT'S NOT EASY BEING GREEN MOUSSE
In food processor:
Puree 2 cups spinach and 2 cups cooked rhubarb
Add:
16 oz Silk Tofu
2 Tbs Lemon juice
1 Tbs raspberry syrup (sugar free)
6 pkts Stevia (or sweeten to taste)
1 pkt Knox gelatine

Pour into two containers (like Rubbermade, or a cute jello mold)
Chill until firm.
This makes two servings.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:45 PM   #11  
Started IP 1/14/2012

MAPLE GLAZED TOFU
(phase 1-4) serves 2
1/4 cup vegetable broth
2 tbsp vinegar
1/2 cup Braggs liquid aminoes
3 tbsp Walden Farms sesame ginger salad dressing (or Asian dressing)
4 tbsp Walden Farms pancake syrup
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
1tbsp granulated stevia
1 lb extra-firm tofu, patted thoroughly dry and cut into 2 x 2 x 1/3-inch pieces
Olive oil cooking spray
4 or more dried small red chilies (optional)
5 scallions, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
Whisk together the broth, vinegar, liquid aminoes, sesame ginger dressing, garlic, ginger, pancake syrup and stevia until the stevia dissolves.
Heat non-stick skillet on medium heat and spray with olive oil cooking spray. Lay the tofu squares in the skillet in a single layer. Cook until golden brown on one side, about 5-6 minutes.
Flip the tofu and immediately pour in the sauce; add the chilies. The sauce will sputter and begin to caramelize. Keep a close eye on it, and move the tofu around a little bit to let the sauce get under it. Continue cooking until the sauce has thickened and become a fairly thick glaze coating the tofu, about 4 minutes more.
Serve immediately, topped with the scallions.

I did this one in my new Actifry this week and the tofu turned out wonderful. I first started out with mushrooms and zucchini for my veg, then added the tofu and the sauce after a few minutes.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:46 PM   #12  
Started IP 1/14/2012

BAKED TOFU
(this is courtesy someone on the threads but I'm not sure who!)

The first thing I do when I buy tofu is freeze it until it is completely frozen and then thaw it before using it. That changes the texture in a really nice way - making it a bit more chewy once it is baked. Then I slice it, place it between paper towels, put a cutting board on top of it and weight it with a heavy cookbook to press out the excess moisture. I leave it for about 20 min or so and then marinate it in a mix of soy sauce and teriyaki sauce. Then I lay it out on a baking sheet and bake it for 40 min or so at 400 degrees, turning it once during the process.
It sounds like a lot of steps but it is really easy. Sometimes I cut it into "fingers" and my kids love to dip it into sauces or hummus. I use this tofu as a meat substitute all the time and usually make two packages at a time.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:47 PM   #13  
Started IP 1/14/2012

SPICE-CRUSTED TOFU
2 servings | Active Time: 10 minutes | Total Time: 20 minutes
Ingredients
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt, or to taste
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 14- to 16-ounce package extra-firm tofu
3 tablespoons boiling water
2 tablespoons lemon juice
4 teaspoons WF pancake syrup
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
Preparation
1. Mix paprika, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Drain tofu and pat dry with paper towels. Cut crosswise into 8 slices, 1/2 inch thick. Dredge the tofu liberally with the spice mixture, coating all sides. Mix boiling water, lemon juice and WF syrup in a small bowl.
2. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; swirl to coat the bottom. Add tofu and cook on one side until brown and crusty, 4 to 5 minutes; flip and cook for another 3 minutes. Add the syrup mixture to the pan (it will bubble up and evaporate very quickly) and shake to coat the tofu. Serve immediately.

I have done this with different spice mixtures that have worked out great but I didn't save my variations.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:54 PM   #14  
Started IP 1/14/2012

For using Tofu in veggie stir fries or with a veg side: this isn't an official recipe, it is just a try what you like. Pat the tofu dry. Mix together whatever spice combination you like onto a plate. I've used cajun, jerk, taco seasoning, indian tandoori spices, etc. I have some pre-made spice blends I buy but there are a couple that I make regularly too.

Put some coconut or grapeseed oil in a pan and let it get hot. Slice the tofu into sticks / logs about 1 inch square and press onto the seasonings. Place into the hot pan and cook each side about 2 minutes until brown and crusty. Once done, I will either serve like that or use some sort of WF dressing to dip in. Sometimes I don't spice the tofu first and just brown it, then coat it in Frank's Red Hot sauce for Buffalo tofu.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:00 PM   #15  
Started IP 1/14/2012

Last recipes are a couple desserts: I buy the silken lite tofu and can use a whole package for one meal to get the protein level but it is very low in calorie. I do this the day after a fatty meat day to shock the system into balancing. (Whatever the theory is, it has worked for my body to do this up and down cycle.)

Take the silken tofu, add a couple tablespoons of unsweetened pure cocoa powder. Add a bit of splenda or stevia to your sweetness liking. Mix well with a food processor or immersion blender until it looks smooth. I'm not too picky about texture or look so I sometimes just mash it as best as I can with a fork. Chill a bit before eating.

Another variation is to add stewed rhubarb. I find I will make the rhubarb less sweet if I'm having it for a lunch or sometimes I'll add WF strawberry syrup if I feel like a little more sweet. Again, just mash it all together or puree until smooth if you prefer, chill then enjoy.

I've been thinking lately of trying this in other ways to use the silken tofu to make a yogurt type sauce which would probably work to put on chicken, pork or fish and would mean half a tofu meal plus half a regular protein. I haven't had a chance to try this yet but if anyone else has ideas, I would love to hear them.