Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 01-08-2013, 02:49 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 319/238/160

Height: 5' 6"

Default Waiting a little longer.

If you have read any of my more recent posts, you will know I have been on the fence reguarding surgery. I have lost a large amount of weight and despite a unusually stressful holiday season I managed to maintain during December.

I had my monthly doctor's appointment yesterday. We discussed the event surrounding my husbands surgery and all the complications that followed, plus the other crap that has happened the past month. My doctor was impressed that I had maintained my weight loss (I actually lost a half a pound, but that is hardly worth counting.) Before I could even get to telling her that I was starting to have second thought about surgery she said, "I hope you understand why I am doing this. I am going to have you wait two or three months before consulting with a surgeon for your surgery date. you have too much going on right now and I don't think you have elective surgery at this time is the best decision. We will continue on with your monthly visits and when things settle back into place we will get the ball rolling again."

She also reminded to make sure I come EVERY MONTH so insurance wouldn't start the 6 month waiting period over.

At this point I still consider surgery an option. It will give me some time to see if I can continue to lose on my own. It will give me some more time to decide if the risks of surgery are worth the reward. If I am trly ready to live life in a way that my surgery will be a lasting success.

Also, at the moment my husband is no longer supportive of me having surgery. I think because of all the complications he had with his recent prostate surgery. At the moment he has the mind set that no surgery is worth what he has gone through and all surgery should be avoided at all costs. I am sure that will change when everything isn't so fresh in his mind. Athough I must say it is a darn good thing men can't have babies!
KateB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:20 PM   #2  

Hi Kate,

You've done so great with your weightloss, I am glad you (your doctor) decided to hold off on the surgery. And congrats for maintaining over the holidays, that's a great accomplishment.

At least you know it's still an option if you need it.

Post here if you need any of us to talk things through. We might not know what to tell you to do but we can chat with you through your options.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:15 PM   #3  
Releasing the inner hiker

It sounds like you are at peace with your decision. I'm happy for you and its good to keep your options open if you continue with the monthly check-ups.
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:59 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 450/328/170

Height: 5'1

Sounds like waiting is a good thing for you right now. Going into WLS you need to be sure in your mind that this is for you. Stress is not good during the healing time so sounds like you have made a good decision by waiting. I wish you luck when you do move forward with your decision whatever it may be.
Mom2Noah25 is offline   Reply With Quote