General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 10:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/190/135

Height: 5'6"

Default Does the biggest loser make anyone else feel inadequate!?

I like the show but when I watch the show and they get all dejected about losing 6 lbs in a week! I start feeling like why can't I do that!? Or I'll think I can do that! Then I get on the scale and womp womp! Yeah right!! Lol!!!
Old 01-07-2013, 10:29 PM   #2  

Height: 5'6

But i hope you also realize a few other things, like..
1) how insanely hard they work, HOW OFTEN they work
2) how big they are relative to you
3) the significant change in diet. they probably are way more strict on caloric intake than you are with yourself, i see what they eat and they honestly eat less than i do and some are almost triple my weight.

Last edited by luckystreak; 01-07-2013 at 10:29 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:39 PM   #3  

Yeah I know. I still just sit there and wish I could go to my weigh in in my bathroom and.... Ta da!!! Yay! 7lbs!!! Lol. *then I snap out of it and realize I was daydreaming during the commercial! Lol. Oh well!!!
Old 01-07-2013, 10:42 PM   #4  
Pending Email Confirmation

S/C/G: 247/161/132

I understand where your coming from. Id love to find a residential type of boot camp program for like 2 months to beat the rest of these pounds outta my body ya I know they work like crazy. Id still love to have this happen Im sick of cycling around the same 3 lbs up down up down it would be great to have the direction and the support to just get this over with! And ya, I'm with you. I get so motivated after watching the show and then think Im working just as hard and the scales let me down week after week lololol

Last edited by misspixie; 01-07-2013 at 10:43 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:48 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 145 / 102 / ?

Height: 5'

Yeah, I think it's really overblown, for entertainment's sake. And I'm not sure that is healthy.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:48 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 116/116/110

Height: 5'2

They actually have a Biggest Loser Camp! Of course it's probably way expensive but I would love to go there for a couple of weeks! I read this awhile ago, it's an amusing read...
Old 01-07-2013, 10:49 PM   #7  

I know right! I even looked into like fat camps for adults and they are SO EXPENSIVE!!! The idea of having that opportunity though to just not have to worry about anything but your fitness goals and diet. Wow! Can you imagine!? And that is exactly what I will have to keep on doing...imagining because I am not rich!!!
Old 01-07-2013, 10:49 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 116/116/110

Height: 5'2

http://travel.nytimes.com/2012/01/01...anted=all&_r=0
Old 01-07-2013, 11:32 PM   #9  
Pending Email Confirmation

S/C/G: 247/161/132

Totally, Ross111104, seriously Id go in a heartbeat but man oh MAN are they expensive and when you hear the results stories the amount these guys lose is waaay less that what happens on TBL. Like, "participants can expect to lose between 1-3 lbs a week". Durrrr, I can do that at home, 1 lb a week? If it was just like TBL without the cameras and getting voted off hahaha Id totally take out a loan or something but I wont for the like 2 lbs a week loss.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:11 AM   #10  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Biggest loser contestants are massively obesem, do hours and hours of LISS cardio, and have the opportunity to win 100,000. Losing weight is their full time job.

No one should feel inadequate watching the show.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:18 AM   #11  

S/C/G: SW194/CW144/GW140

Height: 5.10

I take the show as encouragement. Happy that I'm not as heavy as some on the show. And as a reminder that if I don't change now that I could well become that heavy. I'm not concern with comparing with what they lost and what i lost.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:54 AM   #12  
Stubborn.

S/C/G: 197/See ticker/135

Height: 5'6''

You're comparing apples to oranges...The people on that show are morbidly obese, whereas you're less than 40 lbs outside of a normal weight range. You also probably don't have the time (or equipment) to work out for more than 4 hours per day or a team of nutritionists and doctors on hand helping you to monitor every gram of food that goes into your mouth. Essentially their weight loss is happening in a bubble, while yours has to contend with daily life.

Just keep doing what you're doing. It sucks trying to compare yourself and your progress to anyone else, never mind to people who, as John pointed out, are losing weight literally like it's their job.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:33 AM   #13  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

The show also manipulates the audience into believing things that just aren't true. For example, some of the "weeks" aren't really weeks at all.

You could lose 7 lbs in a week too if your week was 16 days long.

Contestants sign non-disclosure agreements, but Kai Hibbard, a season 3 contestant from Hawaii, spoke out against the underhanded and abusive practices behind the scenes (and the show threatened to sue her for breaking her non-disclosure agreement).

She says that the majority of their "weeks" were actually much longer than a week (and a time or two were shorter). This makes tremendous sense, especially now when contestants are (I hear) losing 20 pounds plus in a week (you never heard of that in seasons 1, 2, or 3).

Now some folks say she's disgruntled and therefore may not be honestly reporting her experience, but she seems quite sincere, and much of what she says rings true because it explains WHY the contestants can lose so much.

For example, she says that while the contestants see doctors and dietitians and get "sensible" diet recommendations, their coaches and teammates encourage and even pressure the participants to eat as little as possible.

If even half of what Kai says is true, it's no wonder that the contestants lose so much, and also a wonder that none have been seriously and permanently injured by now (and some may have been, because the nondisclosure agreement would prevent the public from hearing about it).

Actually if what Kai says is true, at least one contestant was seriously and permanently injured, as she claims the experience left her with bulimia and post-traumatic stress syndrome.

I stopped watching the show about a year after I heard Kai's allegations - it just ruined the show for me knowing that the contestants were putting their lives and safety at risk.

I know folks say that the obesity itself was putting their lives and safety at risk, but I've been studying morbid obesity and weight loss for most of my life, and I stopped crash dieting decades ago because I learned that the risks of crash dieting were actually higher than the obesity itself.

Now, we watch people put their lives on the line every day - even only for our own amusements. Extreme sports are dangerous, and for a super morbidly obese person, running up flights of stairs (a common TBL challenge) IS a dangerous sport.

And after all, don't super obese people have the same right as any other moron to risk their lives and abandon their self-respect just like any other entertainer/athlete?

I choose not to watch in part because it's an embarassing train-wreck like most of the unscripted shows like Survivor (I don't watch those programs either). And another reason I don't watch is because it can pull me right back into the crash dieting and hurt-myself-exercising that did get me injured and ill in the past.

For most of my life, I tried to lose weight by putting every spare ounce of energy into the endeavor. I lost very rapidly (at least while I was young). My "record" was 11 pounds in a week (the two or three times I lost that much, it was the first week of the diet, but still).

The problem was that the faster I lost it, the more stressful, and I'm a stress eater, so it would set me up for a binge when the stress got to be too much. Also, towards my mid- to late- 20's, every new crash diet resulted in smaller and smaller maximum loses (even though my starting weight was climbing).

In a very real sense I crash-dieted my way to nearly 400 lbs.

I do think TBL has impacted negatively on many folks. I see more people on this website today who complain about their "slow" weight loss while their experiences losses of 2 to 5 lbs per week. That's not slow by any definition except TBL's.

Now I hear that the show has teen contestants and that bothers me. Apparently the rules are more lenient for the kids, and that's good - but I wonder if there will be any monitoring to make sure that they're not being encouraged (as the contestants have been, if Kai is to be believed) to break the "official" guidelines they've been given for their safety.

Remembering how I dieted as a teenager (eating only on weekends), and only imagining how much worse it would have been with an audience and prizes as part of the package, I'm hoping the show producers are being more careful with the kids.

I just expect one day for someone to die as a result of the show, and perhaps I'm cynical, but I think it would probably improve the show's ratings.

Last edited by kaplods; 01-08-2013 at 06:40 AM.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:26 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 157/157/120

Height: 5'0"

In terms of massive and fast weight loss, no it doesn't make me feel inadequate. It does make me feel lazy and out of shape in terms of working out though.

I don't know, I have mixed feelings about that show. I think it can probably be a wonderful motivator for people who get that they probably aren't going to be able to lose as fast on their own but still want a lifestyle change. On the other hand, I imagine that someone of similar size to those on the show might get very discouraged and fall back into bad habits when they don't lose 19 lbs in one week.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:33 AM   #15  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Actually it does the opposite for me. I figure if those people have trainers, nutritionists, doctors, etc. watching their every move then I must be doing pretty good without any of that.
Closed Thread