Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-06-2013, 07:16 AM   #1  

Default Do you loose or gain weight while at work?

Hi all, i have just started a new job as microbiologist. I am very excited to start it as it was something i studied in college. However i am more excited for the fact that when i am working i find it easier to lose weight .It has something to do with the fact i am always busy and dont have have time to just nibble.

I also take a prepared lunch with me which is always super healthy.

So do you find it easier or harder to lose weight while working?
irishcanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:19 AM   #2  

Height: 5'8.5"

I also find it easier when I am working, because I am very busy. I work at a desk job so it is plenty easy to sit and nibble all day but I simply broke the habit. Also, I have plenty of healthy snacks in my desk and always take a healthy lunch and fresh fruits and veggies so if I do snack, it is on those.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:58 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 157/157/120

Height: 5'0"

I found it harder when I was working. Not because there were an abundance of treats available, but because I worked with all men who went out to lunch every day. They didn't order salad, so why should I? Obviously I have very little willpower!

At my current job (SAHM) I tend to stress eat. 2 year old having a rough day = I will binge during nap time. I'm working on being conscious of that and making better choices.
emurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:27 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 270/270/150

Height: 5'5"

I think it's oodles easier when I'm working as long as I don't snack. I work a desk job and as long as I'm busy during the day (which I usually am), I don't snack at all. On weekends, I'm constantly trying to keep myself out of the kitchen, though. After years of struggling, I've realized that I'm a bored eater. Boredom = huge weight gain.
foucault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:31 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 347/ticker/200

Height: 5 6

Last year I worked at a school where one of our moms was constantly brining in yummy home made treats (warm frm the oven) once to twice a week! Now that I am at a new school I am doing much better as my eating is much much more controlled.
Engrid123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:45 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engrid123 View Post
Last year I worked at a school where one of our moms was constantly brining in yummy home made treats (warm frm the oven) once to twice a week! Now that I am at a new school I am doing much better as my eating is much much more controlled.
Sometimes I wonder if people understand what they are doing when they bring in goodies to people who are trying to behave themselves on the eating front. My previous job had a client who always brought in pies. I'd thank him and talk about how I was going to enjoy the pie. Really, I planned on putting it in the kitchen for everyone else so I didn't spoil my diet. He would stand there and make me eat a slice before he was satisfied, though. It was really frustrating.

I think most people are just trying to be nice and do something thoughtful for others. But sometimes I wonder at motivations being a bit more manipulative.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:51 AM   #7  
Nicole

S/C/G: 252/ticker/150

Height: 5' 10"

I can't snack at work, since I work in a lab. I usually bring my lunch, but if not the restaurant a couple of buildings over has a pretty decent salad bar, and it's pretty affordable. It's just the getting to the gym at 6 AM to get my runs in before work/class that's hard.
Nikel1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:50 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 185/183/145

Height: 5'7"

Hi irishcanary - I work in microbiology too!

However, I was teaching and doing social work for 5 years prior, so when I got my lab job, I gained about 25 pounds! The difference was being up walking around and then sitting at a microscope all day. I got most of my exercise at work from my old jobs. But, as the microbiology job was a step up, I gladly accepted. In fact, gaining weight last year was what helped me start this weight loss journey. It was important for me to learn how to lose weight while at a sedentary job.

Now, I prep all my meals too. Lol, it's so cute taking my lunch box to work everyday!
coffeeshopgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:52 AM   #9  
Proud Mom

S/C/G: 160/129/125

Height: 5'4

I am a stay at home mom/housewife....So trying to keep myself off the computer and do more "active" things is a challange for me.
pinkflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:54 AM   #10  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by foucault View Post
He would stand there and make me eat a slice before he was satisfied, though. It was really frustrating.
WOW really? Don't let people do that to you. What a jerk!

One thing I've learned whilst losing weight is to have a backbone and NOT let anyone force me to eat anything I don't want to. I've actually yelled at people who kept bugging me to eat something I don't want to.

Not to mention I can't tolerate some sweet things anymore, so I'd rather not get sick just to make someone happy!!

I don't understand people who won't be satisfied unless someone eats something.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:09 AM   #11  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

I find it easier to stay on plan when I'm busy. Not to say I won't/can't stay on plan when I'm not, just easier when I am. The last 2 weeks I've been on Winter Break from work, I've been home 24/7 with the kids, plus the holidays, and I've managed to do ok. BUT I'm super excited to get back to my regular schedule tomorrow. I only work part time (20 or less hours a week), but man does it help me mentally!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:22 AM   #12  

I'm a nurse so when I was working fulltime, running up and down the halls and I never had time to stop and snack, I always lost weight. Although it was counter productive for binging, because I might not eat until 8 hrs into a 12 hour shift, and I would then over eat...
I'm a stay at home mom now, and well currently I'm dealing with pregnancy m/s, but typically its very hard for me to stay out of the kitchen.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:36 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sontaikle View Post
WOW really? Don't let people do that to you. What a jerk!

One thing I've learned whilst losing weight is to have a backbone and NOT let anyone force me to eat anything I don't want to. I've actually yelled at people who kept bugging me to eat something I don't want to.

Not to mention I can't tolerate some sweet things anymore, so I'd rather not get sick just to make someone happy!!

I don't understand people who won't be satisfied unless someone eats something.
Yeah, I was a bit thrown off the first time it happened. He was a big client and everyone went out of their way to not rock the boat with him. After a while, I discovered that cutting a piece and eating a bite and then excusing myself to take care of an "emergency" would make him go away. Then I could dump the rest of the slice in the garbage. Wasting pie is sad, but it was his fault it got wasted.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:50 PM   #14  
I Will Because I Can

S/C/G: 167/130

Height: 5'6

I'm not sure! I teach part-time (15 hours a week) and while it does keep me busy, there are always treats around and we even cook with our kids once a week. I think my schedule is probably perfect for a healthy lifestyle because it keeps me occupied 3 mornings a week, but still allows plenty of free time for the gym.
OhThePlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by foucault View Post
Then I could dump the rest of the slice in the garbage. Wasting pie is sad, but it was his fault it got wasted.
I lose more weight at work. I am often busy and the time just flys.

However, I have a "eat it or I will make you pay" co worker. It is really bad. She is an older lady and uses her favor with my boss to force, yes force, me to eat these treats she makes. My male boss, also overweight, feels like somehow I am being rude to her not to eat them... and so if I don't.. he will make me pay.

It has become a massive issue. At first, I told her I didn't like the coconut in them and then she made me non coconut. Then I told her... I would prefer not to have them due to weight issues... and now... she makes about 400 every year for my present. I take them, and throw them out.

One more year until they are both forced to retire.
AnnRue is offline   Reply With Quote