Old 06-10-2010, 07:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 245.6/229.5/160

Height: 5'6

Default Atkins vs. Ideal Protein

I was wondering if you all could help me with the difference between atkins and IP. I've read about both but I'm curious as to your opinions about them. They seem very similar. On Atkins do you go into ketosis? Thanks!
penguin0199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:12 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 255/195/175

The Atkins diet allows more fat grams and calories. I tried switching to Atkins because the bars and shakes are much cheaper but I did not find them as filling as the IP products.
elle12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:28 PM   #3  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin0199 View Post
I was wondering if you all could help me with the difference between atkins and IP. I've read about both but I'm curious as to your opinions about them. They seem very similar. On Atkins do you go into ketosis? Thanks!
Atkins is also a low carb ketogenic diet. It is not medically managed. It is free form on the food you can eat. You do an induction period similar to the IP phase 1 weeks 1-3. You also go in phases if you follow the program.

It does restrict many of the things we restrict but, it will allow higher fat and calories in the diet. Many people on atkins will lose weight and have an increase in bad cholesterols as a result of too freely eating the highly saturated fats.

Outside of that, I am unaware of any differences.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:24 AM   #4  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by showgirlaz View Post
Many people on atkins will lose weight and have an increase in bad cholesterols as a result of too freely eating the highly saturated fats.
Just wanted to clarify, when Atkins is done correctly, bad cholesterol (LDL) generally decreases. My DBF is a classic example. His LDL was 191 and it is now 123
Contrary to what we've all been conditioned to believe by the medical profession, saturated fats are not the evil villians they'd like us to believe.
http://www.lewrockwell.com/miller/miller33.1.html

JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:25 AM   #5  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

Quote:
On Atkins do you go into ketosis?
Most definitely!
Old 06-11-2010, 09:01 AM   #6  

S/C/G: S/C/G: 163.4/143.8/140

Height: 5'8

Hi JerseyGyrl!

I don't mean to sound ignorant, so please don't take this wrong. I just don't know much about Atkins. Your sig says you have been on it since 2004. Does that mean you are still following it even at your goal weight? You have an amazing loss! When do you start incorporating healthy carbs in moderation, or are you still in ketosis everyday?

Maybe it is just a lifestyle change and you stay eating "on plan" forever? I'm unsure.

I chose IP because it teaches you in stages to go from low carb back into a more balanced diet with healthy carbs, and how to handle maintenance. I'm sure Atkins has stages too, I just don't know about them. I'm not sure I could eat like this the rest of my life!
xanthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 03:59 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 245.6/229.5/160

Height: 5'6

Thanks for all the info everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGyrl View Post
Most definitely!
You did awesome on Atkins! Congrats on that!!
Did you just buy the book and follow it?
penguin0199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:21 PM   #8  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGyrl View Post
Just wanted to clarify, when Atkins is done correctly, bad cholesterol (LDL) generally decreases. My DBF is a classic example. His LDL was 191 and it is now 123
Contrary to what we've all been conditioned to believe by the medical profession, saturated fats are not the evil villians they'd like us to believe.
http://www.lewrockwell.com/miller/miller33.1.html

Thanks for jumping into our thread and sharing from your personal experience! What a great treat!

I also appreciate your clarifying my point. It is what I was trying to say. I wasn't trying to say anything is wrong with atkins, I think it is a good program. I just meant that if someone chooses to eat very poorly on Atkins, even without including carbs it is possible, the downside is it could create an increase for some people in bad cholesterol like triglycerides and LDL.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:55 PM   #9  
Larry's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanthia View Post
Hi JerseyGyrl!

I don't mean to sound ignorant, so please don't take this wrong. I just don't know much about Atkins. Your sig says you have been on it since 2004. Does that mean you are still following it even at your goal weight? You have an amazing loss! When do you start incorporating healthy carbs in moderation, or are you still in ketosis everyday?

Maybe it is just a lifestyle change and you stay eating "on plan" forever? I'm unsure.
I chose IP because it teaches you in stages to go from low carb back into a more balanced diet with healthy carbs, and how to handle maintenance. I'm sure Atkins has stages too, I just don't know about them. I'm not sure I could eat like this the rest of my life!

Hi Xanthia,

You hit the nail directly on the head, for me, Atkins is my lifestyle forever I have been doing it since April 2004.
Atkins is a 4 phase plan....Induction, OWL (On Going Weight Loss), Pre-Maintenance and Lifetime Maintenance. Induction is basically 20 carbs per day with 12-15 of those carbs coming from veggies & salads. During OWL, you slowly incorporate more veggies including starchier veggies, fruit, nuts & seeds, legumes and lastly, whole grains. Pre-Maintenance concentrates on finding your personal carb level for continued weight loss or for maintenance and of course, Lifetime Maintenance is all about doing Atkins for life
I'm a stong believer is choosing a plan you can do for life and doing it

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 06-11-2010 at 05:56 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:00 PM   #10  
Larry's Angel

Quote:
Did you just buy the book and follow it?
A friend of mine lost 60 lbs on Atkins so, I asked her some questions and then I went and bought Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution. I read it, it made perfect sense to me, I started doing it and 6 years & 2 months later, I'm still doing it
Old 06-11-2010, 06:04 PM   #11  
Larry's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by showgirlaz View Post
I just meant that if someone chooses to eat very poorly on Atkins, even without including carbs it is possible, the downside is it could create an increase for some people in bad cholesterol like triglycerides and LDL.
I definitely agree, this is why it is critical to read the book before attempting to do Atkins, to insure it is being done correctly
Old 01-04-2013, 10:28 AM   #12  
Committed

S/C/G: 166 / 160 / 145

Height: 65"

I've had success in the past with Atkins, but keep falling off the wagon after a while. I'm back on Atkins and am trying to stick to low fat, low carb options! Just need to commit to a lifetime of healthier, low carb, low fat, yet enjoyable food choices! I can do it!!!!
lmmuzquiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:32 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmmuzquiz View Post
I've had success in the past with Atkins, but keep falling off the wagon after a while. I'm back on Atkins and am trying to stick to low fat, low carb options! Just need to commit to a lifetime of healthier, low carb, low fat, yet enjoyable food choices! I can do it!!!!
Atkins is not a low fat diet.
If you are looking for low fat, low carb, you might want to look into the Ideal Protein plan. I had huge success on Atkins in the past but after many re-start tries (and fails) I started IP and it has been way easier! IP removes many of the options and simplifies things.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:34 AM   #14  
Restart 4/1/19

S/C/G: 226.8/190.0/140

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Atkins is not a low fat diet.
If you are looking for low fat, low carb, you might want to look into the Ideal Protein plan. I had huge success on Atkins in the past but after many re-start tries (and fails) I started IP and it has been way easier! IP removes many of the options and simplifies things.
I agree Lisa! I did Atkins in the past, and initially the losses were fantastic (actually identical to when I started IP too). But I found after time it became to confusing to try to figure out what to eat, and then I stopped eating and probably went into starvation mode and stopped losing. I am not a cook, I am busy and I need the convenience of IP. My fiance has just switched from Atlkins to IP, he had about 25lbs left to lose and they just weren't coming off on Atkins. He started IP on Saturday and has lost 6 or 7 lbs already.
Bella73123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 03:44 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 242.0

Height: 5'10"

Default IP vs Atkins

Hey there I'm new to this group and this is an old(er) thread. I hope someone can still chime in! I am about to mix a bit of Atkins shakes and snack bars into my IP diet because I am about to run out of $$$ for the IP food I consume each week. I am finding that the Atkins vanilla shakes have fewer sugars and the same or more protein as the IP vanilla shakes. The snack bars are also the same: the same or fewer sugars and the about the same protein. I was quite surprised by this. The food is very good too. Is there something I'm missing?? I don't intend to completely switch but I need to make my IP food stretch as long as possible into the end of this year since my flex spending is zero now. I did, however, make very good use of my tax-free dollars! YAY.
FiveTenLeslie is offline   Reply With Quote