Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 05:11 PM   #1  

Arrow Food choices?

Hey everyone Well I am into week 2 of my "new life style" and well my new life style just isn't stomaching properly. I have been eating tuna with light mayo then lettuce and tomato inside of a wrap for almost every meal. I thought this was the healthiest most filling thing I could think of. But I am getting sick of it, and was wondering if there is anything with less fat but same amount of protein/nutrients or more? I will continue to eat this if it is the best solution.

Thanks
Old 09-23-2003, 06:05 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 245/245/130

Height: 5'2"

You need to eat variety!!!!!

If you eat that for every meal you are going to eventually fall off the wagon and binge....

For Breakfast: Try a bowl of Total w/ skim milk or
1 Boiled Egg and Canadian Bacon

For Lunch: You can eat the tuna or change it to chicken salad or have a big salad with grilled chicken, etc.

For Dinner: Try Fish (Like Salmon), Chicken, Lean Beef (Occassionally), etc. with a big salad and steamed veggies

Also have a snack or two during the day to keep your metabolism up.... try celery with Peanut butter or a piece of fruit, or yogurt, carrots, etc

Good Luck!
Old 09-24-2003, 01:11 AM   #3  

Height: 5'1"

Hey it's me again. (getting tired of me replying yet?)

Here's a snack you "might" like. An apple sliced up, then dip it in two table spoons of peanut butter. You get fruit, and protein. You can try melting the peanut butter in the micro for 30sec. You'd be surprised at how good it is!!!

Marti
Old 09-24-2003, 06:23 AM   #4  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Hi there frodo, I'm glad to hear you're trying what sounds like a healthy lifestyle but yeah, if you just keep eating what you're eating you won't stay healthy too long. Still, it's a start though so don't get discouraged.

Can you tell me more about just what it is you're trying to do? What kind, if any, program you're on. And tell me about your lifestyle a bit. Can you cook for yourself or do you really on quick things to throw together with very little time. Can you pack things with you if you go to school/work. Tell me more and I can try to help.

Hope to hear from you soon!
Old 09-24-2003, 09:14 AM   #5  
Empress/Queen

Hi! There's some pretty good menu suggestions here and I'd like to second Angel's plea for VARIETY!!!

Some of my favorite snacks/mini meals are a good quality low sugar protein shake (the prepackaged kind is easy to take along), an apple and cheese stick from a convenience store; a toasted peanut butter sandwich and nonfat milk; Nutella on a whole wheat pita and maybe a pear; all fruit smoothie made in blender with frozen fruit (could add some milk, yogurt, soymilk, etc.); 24 frosted mini wheats w/low sugar prepackaged protein shake on side, Kashi cereal in any form; frozen yogurt with sliced banana and no sugar chocolate syrup; 1-2 ounce(s) baked chips with any kind of protein source; deviled eggs made with fat free mayo (or cottage cheese whirred in blender), mustard, paprika, chopped spinach; egg salad sandwich made the same way as the deviled eggs; crisp bread (such as Wasa) with misc. toppings; chicken breast "fried" in pan w/zero cal butter spray, spices, etc. with one serving packaged stuffing mix made without the butter, sliced tomato on side ...

The possibilities are endless!!! Good luck!!!
Old 09-24-2003, 09:38 AM   #6  

Good Heaven's don't get that "Jared Subway" mentality. Like all the others you need variety not only for health but so that you won't give up.

Meats that are lower fat:

chicken without skin, most fish, pork that is lean

All veggies and fruits are good for you. Bananas have a lot of sugar as do some other fruits so you might want to check those out.

Go online to yahoo and search for calorie levels of foods. That what I did and found a site that listed just about everything imaginable and I just printed it off.

Good luck to you!

Faye
Old 09-24-2003, 12:36 PM   #7  

One of my favorite dinners is:

Grilled Herb Chicken ( you can broil if you don't have a grill)

Ingredients:

4tbs. frozen concentrate oranje juice undiluted
1/4 tsp parsley
1/4 tsp tarragon
1/4 tsp dry mustard

Stir all these ingredients together and spread evenly over boneless, skinless chicken and grill or broil until done. Besure to coat both sides.

Now for my side diah.

Broiled Herb Tomatoes

Ingredients:
1 medium tomato
dill weed seasoning
shredded low fat mozzerella cheese

Slice tomatoe into normal slices (not too thin) place them on a broiler pan
Sprinkle with dill weed
Sprinkle with mozzerella

Broil for about 1.5 minutes until cheese is melted. Be careful these burn quickly. they are so yummy though!

Both recipes are easy and quick. I don't get home until after 6:30 at night and can throw this together so quickly and the whole family loves it. If you feel you need more veggies add a small side salad or fresh broccoli to it.

Let me what you think know if you try it,
Lisa
Old 09-24-2003, 12:37 PM   #8  

Oh yeah, One more thing... Your tuna wrap sanwhich sounds yummy do you happen to know how many calories are in it?

Thanks,
Lisa
Old 09-24-2003, 06:11 PM   #9  
Empress/Queen

Lisa, the chicken recipe sounds delicious with the orange juice. That'd be good with jasmine rice, methinks! Thanks for posting it.
Old 09-24-2003, 06:23 PM   #10  
Om shanti

Just be aware that there is good variety and bad variety.
Quote:
VARIETY IN DIET COULD BE A FACTOR IN OBESITY PROBLEM IN THE U.S., ACCORDING TO A REVIEW OF THE RESEARCH

When Eating One Food, Satiation Is Reached More Quickly And Therefore Overeating Less Likely

WASHINGTON - Eating a limited variety at mealtime may be a good way to control weight, according to a new study that reviews the research on diet, food intake and repercussions to body composition. This study appearing in the current issue of Psychological Bulletin, published by the American Psychological Association (APA), demonstrates that being exposed to a variety of foods may not be the spice of life when trying to lose weight.

The variety in our diets keeps us from tiring of the taste of the food, explain authors Hollie A. Raynor, M.S., R.D., and Leonard H. Epstein, Ph.D., of the University of Buffalo. This decreases the feeling of satiation - feeling full - so humans and animals are more likely to overeat when they are in a situation where they can taste different foods. When given one food, sensory-specific satiety is more likely. This is a phenomenon that occurs when a food's palatability is lessened because the food is eaten until the person is satiated, which lessons the pleasantness of the taste of that particular food and foods that are similar, said the authors.

The modern day diet with all of its variety nullifies this phenomenon from happening. One benefit, said the authors, of having access to many different foods is that it can give a species an evolutionary advantage - eating a variety of foods offers different nutrients and may prevent nutritional deficiencies.

But those more vulnerable to obesity are not at an evolutionary advantage when exposed to a variety of foods, say the authors. They may show less sensory-specific satiety and therefore have a tendency to overeat because they are not tiring of the taste of the food. On the other hand, they may have greater sensitivity to sensory-specific satiety and be more motivated to consume multiple foods when given a large variety of foods so they won't tire of the food - the danger of meals presented buffet-style, said the authors.

From our review of 58 studies, we found that dietary variety could increase food consumption in both humans and animals, said Raynor and Epstein. "Both people and animals will eat more food when a meal or diet contains greater variety of food, which can eventually cause weight gain. So it isn't surprising that a typical American diet that consists of a large variety in foods like sweets and snacks is linked to being overweight."

In one study, participants were given four courses of food: sausages, bread and butter, chocolate dessert and bananas. Those who had different foods for each course consumed 44 percent more than those who ate the same food for each course. Another study had a similar finding. When different foods are available at the same time during a meal - tuna, roastbeef, cheese and egg sandwiches - overeating is more likely than compared to a meal of just one of these foods.

But, if the foods are similar, meaning that their sensory characteristics are alike, then increased eating is less likely, said the authors. For example, studies that offered participants flavors of yogurt similar in color and texture (cherry, raspberry and strawberry) showed no increases in eating. This result was also found in a study that used three different flavored chocolate candies that were similar in appearance and texture.

The results of this review suggest that a reduction in dietary variety of highly palatable, energy-dense foods may be useful in treating and preventing obesity, said the authors. "Limiting these foods in a meal may help reduce the energy intake within a meal, thereby reducing overall intake. Plus, the research shows us that meals composed of foods with similar sensory qualities (taste, shape and color), also may curb overeating during a meal."

Article: "Dietary Variety, Energy Regulation, and Obesity," Hollie A. Raynor, Ph.D., and Leonard H. Epstein, Ph.D., University of Buffalo; Psychological Bulletin, Vol 127, No. 3

Full text of the article is available from the APA Public Affairs Office or at http://www.apa.org/journals/bul/bul1273325.html
Old 09-24-2003, 08:52 PM   #11  

holy this is great... thanks didn't expect such a great response...

I honestly am a bad cook I am only 19 and still live with my mom who never cooks.. I am currently jobless ( untill november 1st ) so I am relying on my bank account for whatever I do.

I will go to the store tomorrow and buy a ton of chicken and salad ingrediants and some fish.. I was wondering if rice was good for you? I hear potatoe and bread is not the best thing to choose when you are trying to lose weight.

What I am trying to acheive, basically get in shape and more muscle mass ( go to the gym everyday ) I have another thread with more details of what I am trying to do -> http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...5&pagenumber=1

The tuna wrap I am unsure of how much calories are in there, but it really was awesome the first 30 times I ate it.. I assume you could put more things in but I just like to make it quick.
Old 09-24-2003, 09:59 PM   #12  

Thanks Amarantha it really is. I had it tonight for supper as a matter of fact. Let me know if you try it.

Fodos- It's never too late to start learning how to cook. It's not nearly as daunting as it may seem. A good cook book to begin with is cooking for dummies, it has a lot of the basics in it.

Good Luck,
Lisa
Old 09-25-2003, 01:42 AM   #13  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

frodo, yes, rice is very good for you but you really should try to get brown rice. The usual white stuff has been polished, which means so much of the nutrients are gone. It's a real shame. You may have to look a little harder for brown rice but it's worth it. Has a lot more taste too. I live in Japan so rice is a big part of meals here and it's quick and easy to make once you get the hang of it. The great thing about rice is that you can just throw stuff on top of it, spices, veggies, whatever and it makes a simple meal.

Do you have a microwave, by the way? Well, good luck to you and that's really great that you're trying to eat healthily. Remember, guys make great cooks too so don't let anyone tell you otherwise! Be careful of those beers though, OK? They're my downfall too and the weight just zooms on when you drink. It's really unbelievable and it tends to concentrate around your stomach so be careful! Alcohol is packed with calories and you will really notice the difference if you cut back. Good luck!
Closed Thread