Old 01-02-2013, 06:46 PM   #1  
Starting over: 7/29/2015

S/C/G: 257/251/150

Height: 5'3"

Default To be coached or not?

Hi all,
I would like some honest opinions (from coaches, as well!) on what you expect and get from your coach. I see two different ladies; I go on the same day, same time, but never know who I will see. One lady is very nice--weighs me, measures me, we chat, and she will get me what products I need. She never asks to see my food diary, and once I forgot to email her my requests for products and she said, "That's OK, I can get that for you, no problem." The other lady is not so nice--very curt, very short, always rushing me out to get to the other client. Today I didn't have my food diary and she was very disapproving--said I NEED to bring that every time, she NEEDS to see what I am eating, and she could get the food this one time, but I NEED to email my request 48 hours ahead of time. Honestly, I felt like a second grader being scolded by my teacher! I am getting mixed messages from these two, and don't really know what to think! I know I dread going to weigh-ins because I don't know if I will get the "good cop" or the "bad cop".

I am considering just doing this on my own, and ordering the products on the Internet. I am an adult and I don't think I need to be accountable to anybody but myself, because I am my own worst and harshest critic. The drive and determination to commit to this lifestyle comes from inside, not from somebody telling me what I NEED to do.

I would like to hear about others' experiences with or without coaches, especially those in maintenance. I am pretty confident I can continue on P1 without a coach, but I'm a little worried about moving to different phases on my own.

Thanks for any insight!
tam67green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:58 PM   #2  
Kara - Restart 8/23/2013

S/C/G: 277.4/214/160

Height: 5' 3"

Our office is pretty strict on making sure you have the same one every time. We have 2 also, one I like and one I don't. I had to see the one I didn't like once when the other was gone, now I just reschedule if needed.

I would hate to have to order ahead of time, we can buy whatever is need at our appointment, but i we need to stop in on a different day then we just call ahead.

I like mine, if I didn't have one... I would probably do the same but I love the encouragement from the lady I have and I think I would miss that.... and being measured.
Calisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:13 PM   #3  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

I made the decision around week 8 to make the transition to alternative products and "go rogue". My coach was sweet, helpful as she could be - but was really becoming nothing more than a scale and tape measure. I was getting more current and helpful information on this forum and off the internet.

I also know myself well enough to know that I was 110% accountable to myself and could continue on that way - not everyone is like that, some need that accountability partner in order to stay on track. Know yourself, and make whatever decision is going to keep you on track to succeed! Good luck!
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:24 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 164/161.8/145

Height: 5'5"

I echo Corbett's message. My coach (the first time I did IP) was nice, but not a source of inspiration or good information. I get far more valuable information on this website and have been on alternatives after my first time which lasted only 2 months. I'm also highly accountable to myself so I don't need someone to weigh me in.

I also like the savings and the variety of the alternatives.

Last edited by Chloe222; 01-02-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Chloe222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:33 PM   #5  
IP Start: 11/18/13

S/C/G: 186/186/130

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tam67green View Post
Hi all,
I would like some honest opinions (from coaches, as well!) on what you expect and get from your coach. I see two different ladies; I go on the same day, same time, but never know who I will see. One lady is very nice--weighs me, measures me, we chat, and she will get me what products I need. She never asks to see my food diary, and once I forgot to email her my requests for products and she said, "That's OK, I can get that for you, no problem." The other lady is not so nice--very curt, very short, always rushing me out to get to the other client. Today I didn't have my food diary and she was very disapproving--said I NEED to bring that every time, she NEEDS to see what I am eating, and she could get the food this one time, but I NEED to email my request 48 hours ahead of time. Honestly, I felt like a second grader being scolded by my teacher! I am getting mixed messages from these two, and don't really know what to think! I know I dread going to weigh-ins because I don't know if I will get the "good cop" or the "bad cop".

I am considering just doing this on my own, and ordering the products on the Internet. I am an adult and I don't think I need to be accountable to anybody but myself, because I am my own worst and harshest critic. The drive and determination to commit to this lifestyle comes from inside, not from somebody telling me what I NEED to do.

I would like to hear about others' experiences with or without coaches, especially those in maintenance. I am pretty confident I can continue on P1 without a coach, but I'm a little worried about moving to different phases on my own.

Thanks for any insight!
I also go to a clinic in Maryland and this sounds exactly like my clinic. What county are you in?

I've recently changed clinic for this reason.
ashmeg07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:42 PM   #6  
8/23/12 - 1/6/13

S/C/G: 170/140/135

Height: 5' 5"

I had the same experience in Virginia. The two coaches would even use the tape measure differently, so I would loose 2 pounds but would have "gained" a full inch in my thigh. Then the reverse. It was just no help, so I switched to alternatives and found that I was much less stressed out about the weekly WI and what crazy excuses I would hear from them. Right before I quit, the clinic held a seminar about what to do for P2, P3, and P4, so I'm confident with that info and LizRR's breakfast thread I will do fine.
Fishette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:51 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 267/159/150

Height: 5"3

This KILLS me as usual!!!Why do so many of us have unhappy/unsatisfactory stories of coaches past/present. It's like they just pick these people off the street because maybe they were wearing a red sweater the day the clinic was hiring and that was all the criteria they used. Ok, let's hire some people wearing red sweaters...........

Because its franchise, is there no accountability to how the coaches are interact with their clients?? And no accountability for what they actually know and don't know??

We all pay good money and all is seems like is a revolving door approach. Get weighed, spent money, bye bye.

Is there ANYONE out there who has had a pleasant, positive, bonding experience with their coach?? These people are helping us with our lives and how to better them, not helping us pick out a pair of shoes or something.

That being said, I have never seen my clinic super busy. (So it's not like they have clients waiting to be seen.) I get my food day of WI and if I need to get more can just drop in.

Part of me wants to get out and go alternative (then I can have Scorbett weigh and measure me) but I still feel like I need the accountability and would feel like they would see me as a failure. (Even though I should care less what they think.)

Part of me wants to 'complain' to the head of the clinic who I have only seen in there once, the night of the info session. He runs his chiropractic office next door. But then I am afraid it would get back to me and they would be even more frosty towards me.

I am at a point where I don't know what to do. I know they will NOT be receptive if I even only some alternatives and probably explode if I got my vits online. I am not even friendly enough with any of them to have this kind of discussion. I haven't seen the one girl I did like in ages and she was no bright light of revelation when I saw her last.

Can you tell this is a sore subject with me???
NinjaNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:14 AM   #8  
Started IP: Nov. 2, 2012

S/C/G: 326/Ticker/175

Height: 5'8''

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaNurse View Post
Is there ANYONE out there who has had a pleasant, positive, bonding experience with their coach?? These people are helping us with our lives and how to better them, not helping us pick out a pair of shoes or something.
I absolutely love my coach, however she was a big surprise! I'm in a small-ish town and there is only one IP clinic with two coaches (a main coach and one that only works 2 days). I ended up making my appointment with the one that only works 2 days a week (only had her first name). I went to my first appointment and was completely surprised to find out it was a woman that has known my family since before I was born! In fact, she even made me my first doll/stuffed animal. I was soooo excited and even more motivated that she gets to be on this journey with me. She is an absolutely wonderful person and a great coach. I look forward to my weigh-ins every week because of this.

Aside from our personal connection, I know she develops bonds/connections with all of her clients. She even celebrated a 100lb weight-loss goal (riding a Ferris Wheel in Seattle) with one of her other clients. She spends a lot of time getting to know everyone during their weigh-ins (beyond discussions about IP).

I have heard great things about the main coach as well. All of her clients seem to love going to see her and everyone at the clinic talks about how excellent she is as a coach.

I'm sorry so many people have had such bad experiences. I think coaches should definitely be held accountable (and recognized for admirable work), if not by corporate than at least by the clinics they work in.

Best wishes to all on this journey!

Last edited by Tziri; 01-03-2013 at 12:24 AM.
Tziri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:40 AM   #9  

Height: 5'8

I have been on IP since November -- I LOVE my coach we have really bonded- I am going threw family health problems which happen to e the same kind she had gone threw and which brought her to IP it's amazing to have that help who knows how help in the aspect of keeping strong in hard times- I only see my coach for 15 mins a week WI answer some questions talk about my week and get my food -- I do send in a form usually the morning of WI - but my coach always allows me to change things if I want -my coach tho runs her own clinic out of an office she rents in a Pilates studio it's very low key and nice --
U
Being said my Gf just started IP yesterday and goes to a different clinic a larger place that is bigger they have a whole section of a cosmetic surgery office to them I believe -- and has her coach telling her that she only eat 5oz of beef and cheat days are ok- so really it's just a matter of finding a coach that works for you cuz it seems like all will tell you different an do things different ways
Dinie89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:33 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 150/123.4/115

Height: 5'2

I love my coach and have bonded with her. She is very informative, non judgemental and complimentary. She nudges me forward just right.

We are able to exchange unused packages of food, she does want to see my diary every week, with the time I took the meal,

Big believer in eating within an hour of getting up and eating every.3 to 4 hours

Love my coach
sonyainva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:08 AM   #11  
Started IP 12/6/12

S/C/G: 174/137/134

Height: 5'8"

I'll echo the experience of scorbett and others here. My coach really isn't what I'd define as a coach. She answers questions (sometimes; she's not always responsive to emails and never responded to my questions about exercising) and takes care of weighing, measuring, and taking my orders for products. Now that I know I can easily go for several weeks on my own without checking in, that's what I plan to start doing. My own scale is more reliable and consistent. I go to someone in my doctor's office, and I like that my doctor is in the background, monitoring how I'm doing health-wise. I'll see him for my first check-in since starting the diet next week.

I'll probably 'go rogue' gradually, but do want to know that I have support from my doctor's office as I phase off and go on maintenance. I'm already starting to add in alternative products, and I know I'm committed enough to this program to not need someone else 'motivating' me. And if I do, I know I can come here.
bubbleblower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:39 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 249.4/see ticker/152

Height: 5'6"

I'm so sorry to hear some of you have not had good experiences with your coaches...makes me sad.

I love my coaches. They make sure they both measure in exactly the same spots by having me use my own hand to find the area. For example, to measure my upper arm, I put my thumb in my armpit and wrest my fingers on my arm. They then measure around my arm next to my small finger.

I don't have to pre-order my food but I could see how that would be helpful to the clinic so they don't need to keep such a large inventory on hand. I guess needing to order your food in advance would beat getting old, stale food because it has been sitting on the shelf too long.

If your coach is rude or just doesn't have a clue about what they are doing...turn them in! Report them to corporate and let corporate make sure they get more training. There is a contact form on the corporate website which you can use to let them know the problems you are having. They DO want to know if their coaches aren't doing the job they are paid (by us) to do. Here is a link to the website:
http://www.idealprotein.com/us/home
galpal445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:47 AM   #13  
Started IP August 1, 2011

S/C/G: 218/158/160

I have mixed feelings on this. I didn't love my coach. She just wasn't very knowledgeable... about most things. Her IP plan was something adapted in the dark ages and she wouldn't stay current. I continued going to the clinic until I reached my goal because I honestly had gotten to the point where I didn't care what she said or did. I was more informed than she was. My measurements were always all over the place. However, I felt like I needed to be accountable to someone, even if it was her. I wore basically the same clothes to every WI and the only thing I took with me from that office was the number on the scale. You see, I am very good at sabotoging myself. I will let myself down before I will let anyone else down. I am good at saying "I'll do that tomorrow" and I will wind up saying that everyday. That was the old me. I just needed more practice at putting myself first. I still have to practice this.
I've done alternatives in maintenance and a reboot and weighed myself at home. It's much easier to stay true to the plan if you have to face someone once a week and "prove" that you are doing the right thing. For me, anyway.
Also, there are great alternatives out there. Cheaper, etc. But, there is something about the IP products that is better. I get into ketosis quicker if I use them. I feel satisfied longer when I use them. I also feel like I retain more muscle mass when I use them. That's just my opinion and my experience and I will say that I haven't tried every alternative out there.
It's definitely a personal decision, but you do have the right to request the "good cop". If they won't comply with that request, then get out of there. Find a different clinic.
Paint Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:57 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 200.2/135/115

Height: 5'1"

The coaches at my clinic are very good. They are encouraging and give lots of tips and recipes to help keep me going. I think I could do it on my own, but I like the accountability that comes with having a WI every week. Yes, there are times when the measurements are off or something else is frustrating but overall the coaches are great and helpful.
Debrasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:04 AM   #15  
Started IP August 1, 2011

S/C/G: 218/158/160

As far as measurements go, I can really understand how they would be off sometimes. Look at how rapidly our bodies are changing. Now multiply that by all of the clients they see in a day. I know the tape should go in the same place everytime. But, how many of us truly had a waist in the correct spot when we started? Lol! If your clothes fit better, than that's what you should focus on. Measurements are just numbers anyway. Just take the positive with you when you go. Leave the negative stuff there in that office!
Paint Lady is offline   Reply With Quote