South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 06:34 AM   #1  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Default New Year's Day on The Beach

Good morning and to 2013! I hope everyone rang in the new year properly and are all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed this first day. It'll be interesting to see what this year brings us.

I did not go to my friend Joanne's place to celebrate last night as my dumb earache is back. I think it waits until it knows the medical and dental offices are closed and then pounces! The dogs and I managed to stay awake until ten and then went to bed.

This year I absolutely must get strictly back on track with food as I am eight pounds heavier than this time last year. I am going to reinstate my ticker and allow it to post once in a while, hoping that will keep me honest. At least there is not a single goodie in this house which is a good start.

On we go with 2013. May it be a good year for all of us.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:37 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Happy New Year!

I'm not feeling bright-eyed and bushy-tailed yet, but I'm getting there. For some silly reason I woke up with a pounding headache, and I only had one small glass of wine last night and was in bed by 10. Honest!

Isn't it canny that our bodies always seem to know when it's most inconvenient to see the doctor, Ruth? I hope your earache eases up some so it doesn't put a damper on your day, and I'm sorry you had to miss Joanne's party.

There is still some food that isn't quite OP in the house, and with the cost of food nowadays, I refuse to throw it out, so my diet will start tomorrow when I know I'll have a clean house again.

Arrrgh. I have to run to the store AGAIN to get some sauerkraut. First Jake said he didn't want sauerkraut today, and now he's saying he'd like it for supper.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:53 AM   #3  

S/C/G: maintaining

Good morning and HAPPPPPPY New Year!

I have one more day of holiday eating to get through. My husband won't let me throw stuff away, but sometimes I'm sneaky about it Somewhere in the house our son is sleeping with some friends so I'm trying not to be too loud as I start to get ready for our guests later. The baking is done, so just things like appetizer prep and last minute cleaning. It never pays to try to clean the kitchen in advance!

It sooooo feels like the weekend!

Here's to a healthy and happy 2013 on the beach.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:13 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

Good morning and HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!

I was thinking I need to start of the year right, and then went on my typical daily visit to allrecipes.com, and there was chocolate chip cookie with pretzels in it....GENIUS!! LOL...but, the headliner one is hoppin' john, which is in my fridge for good luck.

Ruth - sorry you felt yucky! Hopefully not too bad and you can enjoy the day.

Cottage - Hmmm...I'll have to see what the DH wants for supper, but we're not from this region with the whole sauerkraut thing. But we love sauerkraut anyway!! Oh - I just remembered I have some in the pantry already, would you like it?

Karen - I think it'd be easy to be sneaky in my house . Enjoy the day with the house full!

For me - we stayed up until midnight, as we were putting the kids to bed. Why we stayed up, I dunno. I made the mistake of renting Rango for the kids...it's a cartoon, right?!?! WRONG - lots of swearing. We finally turned it off. We did go to the ice sculptures last night, which is always awesome to see.

For today - I'm having a friend and her family over for a mini sledding party! I haven't decided if I'll bother cleaning or not (LOL...she's a great friend!) or just lounge with the family.

And I'm all with you - healthier eating for 2013!!
Old 01-01-2013, 09:03 AM   #5  
Live, Laugh, Love

Height: 5'3"

Mmmmffff. Happy New Year. I'm not used to this staying-up-til-midnight garbage. I'm spending today cooking and preparing a meal plan for the rest of the week.

Sorry for those not feeling well. I'm just tired. Voodoo protested me getting up, but rather than be alone in the bedroom, she's up now too. Gonna be lazy for a bit, maybe try to find some coffee. That might help.

Happy 2013 to you all!!!

Lisa
Old 01-01-2013, 09:18 AM   #6  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Good morning Yup, stayed up until 1ish here too. I needed to wave goodbye to last year properly. I overplanned food so we never got to the main course, just filled up on the fat three - cheese, olives, and avocados. Today I'm jumping back on plan and starting a 30 day hooping challenge. That should get my attention

I need to get the black eyed peas in the pressure cooker. I'm covering all the bases this year - black eyed peas, lentils, sauerkraut (did you make that one up just to see if I'd add it Twynn??).

If anyone is looking Kalyn has the usual great monthly wrap-up of phase 1 recipes. It's nice to have some new ones to try out.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:37 AM   #7  
Live, Laugh, Love

Mmm cheese, olives, and avocados.....

Ah crap, I need to weigh myself and program an accurate tickie. Sigh.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:53 AM   #8  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

morning! Look - it's before noon and I am posting!

I was up until 5a. I did indulge in a bit too much bubbly last night but had turkey and cheese roll ups and stayed on plan with food. Yay!

I hope 2013 brings us all happiness, health and willpower!!
Old 01-01-2013, 11:02 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 162/145/145

Height: 5' 9 3/4

Good morning quiet NYE too. Both Joe and I took naps on the couch before the ball dropped, which we almost missed. Dinner was awesome as was dessert. Sent him home with the leftover cannolis as his kids can enjoy them and I should not. This is a crap free home once again!! Still in my PJ's as I do not have anything planned. Giving the grill a good cleaning, once cooled I will put her in the garage so no more tumbles off the patio!

Ruth I hope you feel better.

I am off until Monday so no excuses to get back into my pre holiday routines. Have a wonderful day and here's to a healthy and happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2013, 11:27 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 256/227/160

Height: 5'-6"

Good morning everyone - Happy New Year! I have a lot planned for today - my last day before returning to work tomorrow - some of which is meal planning and shopping. I'm glad my first week back is only three days until the weekend.

I'm an adult who never outgrew ear infections, too, Ruth - and if you've lived with it long enough, you know when one is coming on and just what to do. Unfortunately, they typically mean a trip to the doc of some antibiotics. Hope if you need some you're able to get them soon.

Cottage, I hate to throw food out, too. Since I'm the only one at an unhealthy weight here, I have started to nag other people to eat stuff rather than toss it. 'Course I have been known to eat stuff rather than throw it out myself.

Twynn, I'm curious how you use allrecipies.com. I get so overwhelmed with the number of recipes out there I see in my in box, at the South Beach site (and here!) but it sounds like you have a routine; if it helps with meal planning though feeling overloaded, I'd love some tips.

Hi, jenn, Jennifer, Lisa and Cyndi! Karen, hope you have a great get-together today!

I did pretty well last night plan-wise. I have this weird anxiety that people will notice I'm not eating what everyone else is at a party and start to talk about it. And since this was a fondue party, my anxiety was pretty high. (Imagine people sitting around in a circle dipping - it was the hosts and three couples.) But since we got there after the cheese fondue was nearly done, I only had veggies to choose from anyway. I had not anticipated that there would be NOTHING I could drink, since I also gave up caffeine. It was all juice, soda and alcohol. So I kept refilling my cup of water at the kitchen tap, which raised the anxiety a bit, but by the time the chocolate fondue came out, I was surprisingly non-interested. I guess there's something to this Phase 1 business, huh!

Last edited by triplestep; 01-01-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:18 PM   #11  
Live, Laugh, Love

Olive and mozzarella salad made, mini jalapeņo pies almost done... A little more preparation and I'll be set!!!
Old 01-01-2013, 02:04 PM   #12  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

mini jalapeno pies?? share please
Old 01-01-2013, 02:34 PM   #13  
Live, Laugh, Love

Super easy! Grease muffin tin with oil or spray, put desired number of jalapeņos on bottoms of muffin cups. (I covered the bottoms completely.) Next cover jalapeņos with LF Mexican cheese (any shredded cheese would do.) Beat 6 eggs together and season as desired (I did salt, sweet and smoky paprika, and chives.) Pour egg mixture evenly over the cheese and jalapeņos (only need a little in each cup.)

Bake in preheated 425' oven for 10-14 min or until golden brown. Makes 12 mini jalapeņo pies, 6 servings.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:31 PM   #14  
Xan
serial rejoiner

S/C/G: 296/264/160

Height: 5' 8"

Happy New Year! I'm not just getting up! I've been up since 8, which is dawn for me, but working all day.

I think I lost 10 pounds last year -- not quite sure, may be only 9. Ridiculous, considering how much I have to lose, but better than gaining 10.

I hope everyone has a terrific year!
Old 01-01-2013, 06:27 PM   #15  

Happy New Year everyone!

I'd like to share my recipe for White Cake, which is of course yet another variation on the South Beach Bean Cake. It came out really good:

White Cake

1 15 oz. can Great Northern Beans, rinsed one full minute to remove all salt and drained well
4 large eggs
3/4 cup measures-like-sugar Splenda
1/4 cup instant nonfat dry milk
2 tsp. double acting baking powder
2 tb. corn oil
2 tb. Torani Sugar Free Vanilla Syrup
2 tsp. pure vanilla

Mix well in food processor until smooth. Pour into 8 inch pyrex cake pan which has been sprayed generously with Pam. The mixture is thin, but it bakes up nicely. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 or 45 minutes. Cool, cover and refrigerate until the next day to blend flavors.

My hubby really loved this and was shocked it was made with beans! It was a bit too sweet for me, so next time I'll try cutting the Splenda to 2/3 cup and also use egg whites or egg beaters which are my preference anyway.

My husband topped his with chocolate sauce (1 tb. unsweetened cocoa stirred with 1 tb. very hot tap water and 2 packets Splenda).

It feels so good to start the new year off right!

I have started on Phase one and will stay there for about a month. Dr. Agatston now says that if our BMI is over 30 and we are obese (which I am), we can stay on Phase 1 for 3 weeks to a month.

Here's to a healthier year for all of us!
Closed Thread