Old 12-30-2012, 12:56 AM   #1  
Tired Of Just Surviving

S/C/G: 315/272/215

Height: 5'7

Default 2012 Year In Review/2013 Goals

If you had to choose one word to describe the past 365 days, what would it be? My word would be progress.

In the very obvious sense of the word, I have made some positive changes over the past year. I began exercising again and discovered I did have time and I could do it. I stopped drinking soda for 184 days. I ended a toxic relationship that I had held onto for way to long because I didn't want to hurt him, all the while not considering the hurt it was causing me. I started a new relationship with a wonderful man, someone who has changed my life for the better. I will also end the year 13.6 pounds lighter than when I started, since gaining 13.6 pounds back the last three months.

While these are all things to celebrate, I recognize that I still have work to do. Those small steps may have gotten me closer to my best life, but I definitely still have some distance to cover. That’s where the second meaning comes in. I am a work in progress.

The old me may have viewed this year as a disappointment (13.6 pounds in a year, really?); as a perfectionist, I have always believed that the definition of failure is missing a goal. But this year is different, I am much more forgiving of myself and have learned to celebrate any accomplishment, no matter how small.

Looking ahead to the next 365 days, I will keep taking small steps forward toward my goals. Now, that is what I call progress.

Last edited by SmallSteps; 12-31-2012 at 01:20 PM.
SmallSteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:19 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 185/165/120

Height: 5'2"

Ending the year 11.8 lighter is a great accomplishment, SmallSteps. Congrats! You're post is very inspiring and I think you have come a long way and you should be proud of yourself. You're definitely headed in the right direction.

My word for 2012 is defeat. It has been kind of a down year. I was diagnosed with "moderate to severe" depression and I had quite a struggle to keep my head during the last few months. I also have not taken a single pill of the SSRI drug that was prescribed to me, and I continue to refuse. I was at one point going to end my life... the only reason I didn't was because I didn't want my parents to have to clean out my dorm room for me. As for weight, I believe I was about 155 pounds at the beginning of 2012. I got down to 140 lbs during the summer of 2012.... I am now 165 pounds. Despite my struggles, I think it is almost a miracle I am still alive. I've struggled with food and self-esteem issues since childhood and I cannot expect my problems to vanish over-night.

As for 2013, there only thing I too can hope for is progress. I suppose I don't really have set goals. I would like to end 2013 at maybe 130 pounds (heck, I've lost the weight before, I can do it again). And I want to take care of myself. Take care of my body and mind, something I have been neglecting to do in 2012.
Tillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:22 AM   #3  
Jenn

S/C/G: 113/85/75

What a great thread.

2012 - persistence! I have been working out and overcoming albeit small but multiple problems. I have had barriers placed in my way, and created a few of my own that I have had to over come. In January I said I would make my life better, take back the joy of living, the enthusiasm and exuberance that I seemed to have misplaced. It took most of the year, but in the last few months the changes have started to take hold and persistence is paying off.

2013 - rejuvenation. And I plan to revel in it.the toll that has been placed on me for what I have achieved will be paid off. I am looking forward to it.

Smallsteps your change in attitude will give you strength and freedom to achieve that seeking perfection often denies us,
Tillie can I suggest that a better word for you might be survivor. You sound as though you have been through the wars, but you have survived - battered, but undefeated. You have obviously sought help in order to get the Peter prion. Continue to seek it out, through therapy, through your family, even here as you need it. You will make your goals of progess. Good luck!
Electro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:07 AM   #4  
Big-time loser

S/C/G: 306.6/247.2/156-164

Height: 5'8"

Very inspirational ladies! Smallsteps - 1 lb. lost/month plus maintaining a lower weight? Not to mention the healthy steps - you have a lot to be proud of. Tillie - take care of yourself. Depression has a physiological basis that drugs can help put right. If you are suicidal, I think thats reason enough to take all of the help you can get - from therapy to pharmacological solutions and everything in between. Meds are NOT failure. Take care and check in often! Electro - I love your word choices! Rejuvenation - love it!
jenicra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:23 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 249.2/see ticker/125

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

In terms of weight loss...2012...
Started Jan 2 at 249.2...dieted up and down and up and down....restarted August 13 at 249.6! LOL....So, I feel like I WASTED almost 8 months of effort. So from Aug to today...I'm down 40 lbs. I feel like I"VE GOT IT...so EUREKA is going to be my word! LOL

2013....my word will be FINALLY.....I WILL get to my goal and maintain. I WILL NOT FAD DIET ANYMORE!!!! Life is too short to do stuff I can't do long term. I can't wait to see what 2013 will bring for me! Happy New Year everyone!!!
kmac1196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:28 AM   #6  

Height: 5'1

My word = successful! While my final weigh in for 2012 will be tomorrow, up to now I have lost 14lbs since May. As well as the 14lbs, I've lost 30 inches (not including December's measurements) and dropped one dress size, on the verge of two! If it wasn't for one little thing that happened in my life at the start of the year, I would never began a weight loss journey this year.

For 2013, I want to finally reach my goal and live a happy and healthy lifestyle. Normally my resolution would have been to lose weight but since I'm slowly getting there, I have a feeling I'll never truly give up until I get to my goal.
Dreamer2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:04 AM   #7  
I think I'm losing it!

S/C/G: Highest 350 308/220/160

Height: 5'5"

For 2012, my word was ENDURANCE. Throughout this year, I just kept doing the daily things I should to lose weight and what do you know... it worked! Some weeks better than others, but I didn't give up! (Big plus for me!)

Looking back, I don't have a lot of standout memories from this past year. I really kind of feel like I was treading water -- maybe in preparation for something greater?

This year, I want my word to be PURPOSEFUL. I want to take charge of my life and go for some of the things I've only dreamed of - a new job, a relationship, purchasing a home. I want to plan my days to get the most enjoyment out of them as I can -- not just go through the motions of everyday life. It used to be enough just to keep a steady job, peace in the family and the bills paid. Now, I want more.

Here's to a fantastic 2013!
AwShucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:53 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

My 2012 was a learning experience. In 2011 I lost and when I stopped losing (by choice) in October, I was still on the "high" I had after a successful 90 pound loss. that made maintenance pretty easy.

In 2012 I tried my best to learn how to maintain, sometimes with much better luck than others! I did manage to stay within about 8 pounds, though, and when I hit those mini highs, I jumped right back on the stricter eating plan and took the pounds off again. I have no pants that will fit if I don't do that, so the motivation stays high.

In 2013 I want to try even harder to narrow down my "fat window" and stay within a 3 - 5 pound range. Actually, I'd like to drop to about 156 or 157 by summer, so the top of the range is 162. We'll see how that goes.

Happy New Year to all. I hope that plans we've already put in place lay a great foundation for the coming year. Learn from the past and don't let it trip you up.

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:30 AM   #9  
*Embrace Power*

S/C/G: 332/279.8/195

Height: 5'5

For 2012 my word would be Perseverance. I had a lot of things going on which required me to persevere. I put my health on the back burner, but I kept going.

For 2013 my word would be progression. I am going to get myself back in order and make great progress to all of my goals, both weight and non weight related.
Pink Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:50 AM   #10  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

My word for 2012 in regards to weight loss is temporary. As in, a temporary set back, this year I regained all the weight I had lost in the years prior. It's been rough. All kinds of medication issues and food issues and just...gah!

My word for 2012 in other areas of life is success. I was on disability from 2005-2009, No one would hire me because of my gap in work history. Luckily a friend of mine became a manager somewhere and I got a job through him. I've since moved on from that job, where I was happy for 3 years working part time and still on disability. I wanted to get off of disability and move on to full time. (Not available at my past job) but I went to work for a new optical branch of my company and now I'm a full time optician and making good money, something I thought I'd NEVER do since I didn't really finish school.

I'm very happy in my new job.

My word for 2013 will be progress. Starting today I'm doing a 3 day juice/raw food cleanse, then getting back on track to a vegan/gluten free diet. I also plan to exercise (which is difficult with the fibromyalgia) but i"m gonna! And I'm planning on reading more and cleaning more and being generally awesome.
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:55 AM   #11  

S/C/G: HW:319/RW:257/CW:193.0/GW:140

Height: 5'4"

Thumbs up

My word for 2012 would have to be Renovation. I stopped teaching, went back to school, and am on my way to becoming a nurse. I started making changes in my spiritual life so that I can grow closer to God and be a better child of His. I stopped the horrid way I was eating, went back to a method that had worked before, made changes with said method that I could incorporate into my life as it is, and am on my way to becoming a healthy, tone, & thin me!!

My word for 2013 is going to be Achievement. I will complete LVN/LPN school; I will obtain a position as an LVN; I will continue on my path to becoming an RN! I will continue down my new spiritual path and become a better Christian and a better person. In 2013, I will achieve my weight-loss goal!!
sluggerbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:25 PM   #12  
Going goal.

S/C/G: 316/ticker/140

Height: 5'6" & 3/4"

My word for 2012 is revelation. I realized around June I needed to up my physical endurance to keep up with work, my family and life in general. I was tired of being tired. I have slacked on my exercising, but I will change that in time! I also realized this isn't a race. I WILL lose weight on my own time. Eat good foods and plan meals. Planning is a big key for me as well as being accountable! I started counting my calories around the last week of July. These were all blessings I finally realized.

My word for 2013 is blessed. God has blessed me in 2012 and will continue to bless me. I will continue to eat well and find exercises I like. I WILL grow and become healthier. I will learn and I will continue to lose this extra weight. I will be blessed.
pixiefalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:00 PM   #13  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Wow, very cool thread!

My 2012 word is definitely CHANGE! I've lost weight, of course, but so much more changed. My outlook, my self confidence, my self esteem. Although those things *shouldn't* be dictated by my weight, they were. Not to mention last year on Jan 1 I had a 12 day old, a 2.5 year old, and a frazzled husband. Things are MUCH more stable and settled one year later!

My 2013 word is CARE. I want to take better care of myself physically, emotionally, mentally, and spiritually. I want to take better care of those around me. I want to take more care in everything I do!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:44 PM   #14  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

I'm stealing the word ENDURANCE from someone up there LOL

yah, sometimes losing weight is fun and you feel awesome, sometimes you don't. I liken maintaining my weight loss now as scrubbing toilets LOL don't laugh!!

It's something that MUST be done, I just put my head down and plow through no matter what. I don't love doing it but I like the end result And I'll never stop !
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:26 AM   #15  
Tired Of Just Surviving

S/C/G: 315/272/215

Height: 5'7

I love reading everyone posts! Great job everyone! May 2013 be our best year ever!!
SmallSteps is offline   Reply With Quote