Old 12-28-2012, 02:06 PM   #1  

Default Triathlon Training on IP

Hi everyone - brand new to the site, and about 3 weeks into the diet. I've found some great information on the site, so I'm excited to learn more.

Is anyone training for triathlons or similar endurance sports while in Phase I? I've seen conflicting information on exercise. My coach has said exercise is fine, although she suggests weight training over cardio. Is anyone in the same boat?

For background, I have about 50-56 pounds to loose, and I've done multiple triathlons a year ago. My most recent one was in September, but I was totally out of shape for that. I'm hoping to do several next year.
MMMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:08 PM   #2  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

What distances are you planning on training for? Anything beyond sprint wouldn't be possible on IP, and as you know even that wouldn't be recommended because of the very low calorie nature of the diet... It just wouldn't support the the amount of swimming, biking, and running training that would be necessary to comfortably and more importantly safely complete short course triathlons...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:17 PM   #3  

I was hoping for Olympic. Any ideas on how to modify the diet to allow for it, or is it really just one or the other?
Old 12-28-2012, 04:31 PM   #4  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

There is an athlete's protocol for Ideal Protein, someone had posted it a while back (It's from last year so you would have to increase the daily dinner protein to 8oz to match the current IP protocol):

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/3950642-post19.html

The best I can suggest is to give it a try - it may work out fine for you, but it may still be too calorically low to sustain you in Olympic level training. Just listen to your body - too much fatigue, muscle weakness, lactic acid buildup..you know the signs - then IP may not be your best diet plan for your level of training.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:01 PM   #5  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Thanks for posting that protocol...

Am I understanding it correctly that it's for someone doing cardio for 45 minutes 4 or 5 times a week? at a reduced intensity?

Unfortunately, that wouldn't be enough time to cover the biking and running workouts needed, not to mention the brick workouts if you include those in your training to cover the distances for an Olympic distance tri of a 1500m swim, 40k bike, and 10k run... which is well over 3 hour event for the average age grouper...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:03 PM   #6  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripSwitch View Post
Thanks for posting that protocol...

Am I understanding it correctly that it's for someone doing cardio for 45 minutes 4 or 5 times a week? at a reduced intensity?

Unfortunately, that wouldn't be enough time to cover the biking and running workouts needed, not to mention the brick workouts if you include those in your training to cover the distances for an Olympic distance tri of a 1500m swim, 40k bike, and 10k run... which is well over 3 hour event for the average age grouper...
That's how I read it as well - as it says on the bottom, that protocol is meant for the athlete who needs to retain that muscle mass but trim fat, not lose large amounts of weight. That's why I mentioned that the caloric intake might still be too low to sustain triathlon training sessions. I would say at this point that the OP needs to determine which they want to prioritize - the weight loss or the triathlon. If the triathlon is the priority, IP is probably not the right diet for them at this time.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:01 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 219/146.0/142

Height: 5'7"

If it were me, I would probably just do a ketogenic diet. I also recommend this book:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Art-Scienc.../dp/0983490716

I don't believe that a PSMF diet is well-suited for the type of training you are considering.
sharrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:43 PM   #8  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

No diet is appropriate for every situation.

Training for any kind of endurance event whilst on a PSMF type of diet is a waste of time at best and setting yourself up for an injury or worse.

You can build endurance while in a deficit especially if you previously were in excellent condition but you can't do it in a heavy deficit.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:29 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 194.4/188.3/134

Height: 5'1"

MMMC, congratulations on your events! I also enjoy endurance events, typically 2 full and 1 1/2 marathon a year for the past 4 years.

I started IP last June, and had one event after it. I did not train as I normally would and did include some extra protien and an additional restricted each day. I completed a half, and did lose weight...BUT...as I said I did not train with a PR in mind or anything beyond completing the event.

I have lost 40 pounds, have not reached goal, but am currently entering Marathon training season, so I intend to come off IP for training purposes, get a PR on each course (with 40 less pounds that should happen!) and then get back on in the fall to lose the last 20.
Maintenance is the hardest part of any weight loss, so that is my focus as far as the weight aspect at this point.
There is a book out on Paleo for Athletes, that sounds intriguing to me and I believe could be similar to IP during training. Just a thought.
Be reasonable, despite having an endurance mentallity!
Find your happy pace and succeed.
BLUEJEWEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:23 AM   #10  

Thank you everyone - this is all very helpful information. I think what I'll do is stick to IP until March, and then phase down from there while I transition to tri training. I'm typically able to train up fairly fast, so a couple of months of heavy training with a good base should get me where I want to go. I'm not fast on the course anyway, so really the goal is to finish with tiny PRs this year. The alt plan is helpful for now too.