Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 11:16 AM   #1  
burned out bus driver

Default Stay at home mom's # 87.

Welcome to a thread full of laughter, encouragment and friendship as we raise families, regain health and lose weight together. All are welcome- newcomers and present friends.
Old 09-22-2003, 11:21 AM   #2  
burned out bus driver

Good morning!!!!!

First I am gonna copy Jen's recipe for apple crisp from the last thread.....sounded so good( and an awful lot like the WW recipe that I saw online last week). When I get a chance I'll calculate the points.Thanks Jen!
Ingredients:

enough apples, peeled, cored and sliced, to fill a baking dish
2 Tbs gran. sugar (or Splenda)
1tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves

1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup quick oats
1/4 cup flour
2 Tbs light butter or margarine

Directions:

Toss apples with gran. sugar (or Splenda), cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves in a large baking dish, sprayed with cooking spray.

Combine br. sugar, oats, flour, and butter or margarine in food processor and pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. If you don't have a processor, put it all in a bowl and mix with your hands until you get coarse crumbs. Sprinkle crumbs over apples, and bake in 375 oven for 35-40 minutes, until apples are soft and bubbly, and topping is browned. Delish served warm or cold!

Old 09-22-2003, 11:33 AM   #3  
burned out bus driver

Jen- sounds like you had a nice weekend- the charity walk was for a good cause and also some quality time with Dd. Congrats on the lasagna too, portion control is half the battle and you have to live a bit too, right?! Hope you had the same great weather we had a few miles south.....Sunday was beautiful here.

Karen- hey there you loser!!!!!! WTG on 7 weeks OP and another pound of fat gone!!!!!! And you are feeling better too, right? Are your TOM woes over, at least for now? I sure hope so-and hope your busy day goes well.

As for me, TOM showed up yesterday, so today I am taking it a bit slow. I stayed in bed (until 5:45.......which is late for me!) and will just go for a 2 mile walk in a few minutes.I don' t feel bad- just well a bit drained. My eating finished up well yesterday, the first day that I really stayed in control in a few days. Between the stress here and PMS I was doomed. But thankfully, things are back on track again and tensions have for the most part subsided.
Oh- I will add the recipe for the green beans...... and then go for that walk. Have a great day!
Ginny

Oriental Green beans (makes 6 servings, 1 point per serving)
1 1/2 pounds green beans, trimmed
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon oriental sesame oil
1 teaspoon sugar
6 cloves garlic,minced
1. In a large pot of rapidy boiling water, cook the green beans until tender, 4-5 minutes.
2. While beans are cooking, combine soy sauce and sugar in a small bowl, and set aside.
3. Drain beans and set aside.
4.Spray a wok or 10" skillet with nostick cooking spray; place over medium high heat. Add garlic,cook stirring constantly until softened, 20-3- seconds. Add green beans, cook, stirring and turning constantly until well coated, about 2 minutes.
5. Add soy sauce mixture,continue to stir and turn until most of the liquid is absorbed, 1-2 minutes.

These are salty.......but so good! Enjoy
Old 09-22-2003, 12:00 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 160/158/125

Height: 5'4"

I just went back and read SAHM's 86. It's been forever since I posted last. Sounds like you all are hanging in there and staying OP. I'm very glad to hear it

Well things here haven't been so good. I live in West Virginia sooo we've had plenty of rain and power outages and phones down. I believe I've had my share of rain for this year. It's raining now. I'd cry but I'm to tired to.
Stress has been at very high levels here too. I've pretty much kept my cool but Dh is showing a side of himself we don't ever see. His new schedule at the University and trying to keep things on the farm going has just caused alot of stress. I'm not sure how we are going to solve this yet. I got him to sit and make a list of tasks he needs to accomplish for each day and that seems to be helping. Everything else seems to be plugging along. I have an appt with the ob tomorrow. I feel pretty good. So, its noon here already and I need to get things going. I have alot of chores to catch up after the weekend.
Old 09-22-2003, 04:53 PM   #5  
hangin' in there...

Michele, so sorry for your stress and worries. That is no fun. And, horrible weather, to boot! I am sending good thoughts, along with a hug, your way........

Karen, CONGRATS to you!!!! 7 weeks OP sounds like a lifetime to me!!!! You are so inspiring! And another pound gone... woooo hoooooo!!!

Ginny, sorry TOM's got you down. Hoping you are feeling better tomorrow. The green beans sound wonderful! I am going to make them this week. I think I will add some freshly chopped ginger root with the garlic. If you've never cooked with fresh ginger, it is wonderful! I first used it a couple of years ago and couldn't believe the difference it makes in a recipe! Also, I am partial to lite soy sauce, which has less sodium,but still great flavor. And yes, we did have lovely weather here Sunday, as well as Saturday.

I have had a great day. I took ds to the rink...... he spent 15 minutes on his skates! But, he had fun, and it is tough. I am not pushing him... he is still so little. He can only improve. But the best part is, after I took his skates off, he spent time fooling with a car racing arcade game and I got to do laps for 20 minutes! So, that was 2 work-outs for me today. I just love skating. I am not the greatest, but I can stay on my feet. And to me, gliding on the ice is almost like flying..... so invigorating! And, it was funny to be wearing sweatshirts and mittens in the rink, and then come out and run the AC full blast in the van!

Well, gotta run and get dinner started, along with some laundry. Gotta work tonight...... bye
Old 09-22-2003, 05:00 PM   #6  
hangin' in there...

sorry... I forgot to mention one thing. I bought a new scale today, because my digital one was hopelessly displaying nothing but "E" for error. So, I just got a cheap dial scale. I weighed myself when I got it home, which was around 3pm. Not the best time of day to weigh, and I had clothes on, and it is a different scale. But, I really want Mondays to be my weigh-in day, so I will stick with this weight until next week. Anyway, it showed 175lbs, which would be a gain of 4lbs from my previous WI. It may or may not be accurate. I am not worried.......
Old 09-22-2003, 06:47 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/113

Height: 5'3

Good evening all!
This will have to be quick... I've been running all day..
Karen, congrats on another lb gone and 7 wks OP!! You are doing so great! I'm glad you found a weight loss plan that is right for you.. makes all the difference.
Ginny, I'm glad things are getting better around the house and I can't wait to try that oriental green beans and the apple dish sounds great too!
Misty, hope things dry up around there for you and things get easier with DH. Sometimes we take on so many tasks that it just runs us rampant and our families suffer. Do things slow down on the farm during the winter? If so then maybe he'll be getting back to normal soon.
Jen, I wouldn't worry about what that scale says. All scales read different so you probably didn't gain.. just a different reading.
I hope I didn't miss anyone.
My day has went well. Last night at MIL we had a great dinner I didn't over eat but I did have too much to drink. I didn't plan on drinking anything but then I decided to have one glass of wine and before I knew it people were keeping it filled up and I had too much. But it was a great time. Today though I've been really good. Even went to Mcdonalds and had a reg hamburger and a side salad (total 6 pts) and it filled me up. So I was proud of myself for that. Tonight though Dh took the two older kids back to grandma's for the evening and it's just me and Tanner. Nice and quiet. So I'm having a light dinner and catching up on my sex and the city marathon (I rented the DVDs) So it's a great night ahead here. Well, I need to get, tanner is waking up. TTYL!
Old 09-22-2003, 09:29 PM   #8  
burned out bus driver

Hi!
Michele- sounds like your plate is full there, hon!!!! What a great wife you are trying to help Dh get things in focus.....a task easier said than done. Making lists sure helps- even with the long term stuff, and what a sense of accomplishment when something can be crossed off!!!!! Fortunately, the slower time of year for a farm is coming......and I hope that helps. Sorry about the rain.....I'll keep you in prayer. Lean on us as much as you need to.

Jen- I hope work went well tonight. WTG on getting 2 workouts in !! Bet you feel great too. BTW- I am a big fan of lite soy sauce, it is all I buy.....guess I took that for granted with the recipe!! I'll have to try the ginger next time- it sounds like a nice variation to the recipe.

Spryng- sounds as though you are really enjoying having Dh home! Aw, don't worry about an extra point here or there......this has been a special weekend for you. Just get back on track when you can and try to control the dammage for now!!! Hope your night was as pleasant as you thought it would be!!

As for me, I am within points for the day.....got my 1 point walk in (better than nothing!) and am doing ok. Scary thing happened....Ds declared that he likes high school!!!!!! Not sure what that means......maybe there is a girl there he likes....or just maybe he has lots of buddies(I think that is it!)- 'cause- perish the thought that he likes what he is learning!!!!! .
Kids on the bus were monsters for the second day in a row.......wait till they see the new seating chart I came up with this evening . Gotta go unload the dw. Have a great nite!
Ginny
Old 09-22-2003, 10:47 PM   #9  

Good evening all!
Well since DH has been gone all evening I took advantage of it and got my exercise in! I did 4 miles on my bike WHILE watching sex and the city! I feel good now. I just got out of a cool shower and am relaxing. I also stayed within my points for today, actually a little under. I may have a 3 pt snack before bed so I hit my target. Everything I keep reading tells me it's important to hit my target points everyday so I've been trying really hard not to under eat or over eat for that matter... so today was a success in all departments. I feel really good right now.
Ginny, glad you got your walk in! Even an extra points gained helps alot. A seating chart for a school bus huh? I guess either our bus drivers growing up didn't care or I was on good mannered buses because I have never heard of that!! But I do come from schools that still spank the kids, even highschoolers. But I hope the new seating helps calm your bus down.. I couldn't imagine all the noise you have to put up with! My two toddlers in the back seat of our car drives me up the wall sometimes! lol, you are a woman of great patience! Oh and I recieved your package today, great info in there! I'm actually going to sit down and read it all right after I get off here.
Well, I guess this is all she wrote for me tonight. I hope everyone is having a great evening and I'll chat with you all tomorrow. G'nite!
Old 09-23-2003, 12:18 AM   #10  
Domestic Engineer

Good evening gals! Well, I had a great "first" WI- over 7 lbs gone! I know it's water and bloat and hopefully some fat too, but gone is gone!!! I feel really good and in control. Now to find time for exercise!! Ginny, how early do you normally get up?? I can't believe 5:45 is sleeping in for you! I have gotten up a couple times after my baby gets up and stayed up (between 5 and 6:30), but he seems to be sleeping past 7 these days, which is *great*- but I was using him as my alarm clock and now I'll have to use the real one- oh well.

I tried a new recipe tonight- Bean and Cheese Enchiladas- I'll post it in a separate post, but it was quite tasty and lowfat and I'll definitely do it again.

Ginny-that darn TOM! Good for you for still getting up and getting your walk in! SOunds like you run a tight ship--- er, I mean bus Thanks too for the recipe- I love green beans! I even have some blanched and frozen in my freezer from my garden! I can't wait to try them!

Spryng- I've been wanting to get those DVDs! Too bad I don't have a bike to exercise while watching them!! Sounds like your dinner was a fun time and I'll bet you are having so much fun having your DH home.

Michele- Hope things are getting back on track as far as power and phones all working...sounds like you are really trying to help your DH- what a good wife! How far along are you again in your pregnancy? hope you are feeling well.

Jen- how old is your son? I'm putting my 5 yo in lessons this fall and they also do several weeks of lessons during kindergarten where they take a bus to the rink. I'm afraid my DH traumatized him when he first put him on the ice...too much too fast. I'm actually thinking of signing up for lessons too- I can skate OK, but haven't done it much and would love to feel more confident. Plus- now I live in Canada and have 3 boys and a husband that skates...somehow I see skating in my future!! I also wouldn't worry about the # on your new scale...it's just a number right?? You have been doing great!

Karen- you are doing awesome!! 7 weeks and the weight is coming off!! You are an inspiration!!

Well, I feel like this is getting long...have a great night
Old 09-23-2003, 12:24 AM   #11  
Domestic Engineer

Bean and Cheese Enchiladas

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 small onion, peeled chopped
1/2 cup chopped seeded green bell pepper
2 cloves garlic, peeled minced
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 can (15-oz.) kidney beans, drained and mashed
1 can (14.5-oz.) diced tomatoes, drained, liquid reserved
1/2 cup cottage cheese
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon crushed dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon crushed dried rosemary
8 corn tortillas
1 can (6-oz.) tomato paste
1/2 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese

Directions
Preheat oven to 350°F.

Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and sauté onion, green bell pepper, garlic and red pepper flakes for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and add mashed kidney beans, drained tomatoes, cottage cheese, chili powder, oregano, cumin, salt, pepper and rosemary. Mix well until thoroughly heated, about 4 more minutes.

Divide mixture evenly between the tortillas and roll up; place seam side down in a baking dish.
Whisk tomato paste and reserved liquid from tomatoes together and pour evenly over the enchiladas. Top with cheese and bake for 30 minutes, until hot and bubbly. Serve warm.

*notes
I used probably double the corn tortillas and just softened them in the microwave though know you can spray them w/Pam on both sides and flip in a hot pan.

I didn't use the rosemary- don't really like it

For the sauce instead the tomato paste and juice I just used a can of canned enchilada sauce.
I also served w/lettuce on top and lt. sour cream and spanish rice as a side.

Next time I think I will use black beans
Old 09-23-2003, 10:00 AM   #12  
I'm a Jovi Girl

S/C/G: 225/169.5/140

Hi Everyone!

Ginny - yep all the TOM Pain is gone.. for now. I am going to see how it goes next month, and if I have any pain, I will let him know right away!!

Emily - WTG on the loss! That is so great! What plan are you on?

Spryng - Good job on your day! having hubby in the house always gets in the way of my exercise! But He has learned that I do go to the gym everyday!

as for me, wish me luck. Today is my first Daisy meeting! My co-leader and I have LOTS of fun activities for the girls but you know how it is with the first meeting! You always worry!

If I missed someone I appologize! I have to run!

See ya all later!
Old 09-23-2003, 12:02 PM   #13  
burned out bus driver

Good morning!
Just a quick hello for now....I overslept this am (and have a crummy headache now) so no walk yet- and it is raining out there so who knows how successful I will be. Bad morning on the bus too- it is a long story.......won't bore you with it but I guess there is one little kid who has watched too many action movies with murder in them or a nutso parent.... (I think it is the later). As for the seating chart...well we are not allowed to touch a student...some drivers will not even tie a shoe for a student (for fear of a lawsuit). And I have to run a tight ship......they are good kids but very loud. And my bus is at capacity. The only way they calm down when they realize that they cannot sit with their buddies and get too noisy. Hopefully I will get back here later.
Sorry I can't get personal right now. Have a great day!
Ginny
Old 09-23-2003, 01:01 PM   #14  
hangin' in there...

good afternoon girls.....

It is like a monsoon here!!! Last week's hurricane was nothing compared to the wind and rain today! Did you send this junk up to us, Ginny?

Ginny, sorry you had a bad morning. Hope your headache is gone and you get a walk in.

Spryng, congrats on your exercise and good eating!

Emily, congrats on the loss! And thanks for posting the recipe.

Karen, good luck at your first Daisy meeting... you will do fine.

Sorry to keep this short gang. I am exhausted, even after a short rest on the couch this morn. Not much to report......... no exercise yet today, but no food, either. I am getting ready to have a small something, though. And I will have a good dinner tonight. And maybe even my 1 mile WATP. But, not gonna push it since I had the estra workout yesterday, and I am actually a bit sore fromall that skating.

Well, better run... my screen is flickering and I'm afraid I may lose power and don't wanna lose my post! bye
Old 09-23-2003, 02:59 PM   #15  

Good morning all!
Ginny, I hope the day gets better for you. I'm sending all my sunshine I am getting today to you and Jen. Seems like you need it.
Jen, I hope you don't lose your power! And I also hope you get your exercise and good eating in today. Of course if you are sore from yesterday you may want to just to stretches or a light workout today so your muscles can heal.
My day is going great. It's 75 degrees outside with a light breeze...beautiful! DH is out mowing the lawn. I just got the kitchen all cleaned up and now I'm taking a break. The kids are all napping so it's nice and quiet in here. (sigh) what a gorgeous day. What does everyone have planned for dinner tonight? I'm making tacos (ground beef for family and ground turkey for me) I have some whole wheat tortillas that I will use. Can't wait! And I am about to post that recipe for the chicken enchiladas after I am done with this post. I think anyone who loves chicken and sour cream will LOVE this recipe. Dh's family couldn't even tell that it was low fat when I made some over there the other day. It was all gone really fast. But I did get alot of comments on cooking. I prepared it all at MIL house and I think you remember me telling you how unhealthy they eat... well as they were watching me mince fresh garlic, and cilantro, and such they were in awe. It made me feel good. I felt like a chef! But a healthy cook chef. lol.
Well anyway, I'm right on track today. I had oatmeal for breakfast, and two pitas with smoked turkey breast, lettuce, tomato and FF miracle whip with a bowl of healthy choice soup (yum) for lunch, a total of 7 pts for lunch and 3 for breakfast, so I have plenty for dinner tonight and a snack. Well, I have more housework to do. I'm babysitting a 4 yo girl for the next 3 days (a favor to my cousin) so I'm trying to get my house in order before she comes tomorrow morning. I'll have her from 8 am to 4:30 pm everyday till friday. Well, it will give my kids someone to play with so I'm fine with it.
Gotta go! TTYL!
Closed Thread