Old 12-18-2012, 11:51 AM   #1  
Thin Within

Talking Steel Magnolias #35

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is another chilly winter day here in the ♥-Land. Tomorrow promises a winter storm with rain and snow and the ever blowing wind. We are being treated out to lunch at a steak house today and then afterwards we are going out to a friend’s house to deliver their Christmas present and see their new dog. They recently just bought the cutest little Miniature Yorkie puppy that I understand is a charmer that I want to see.

Well I didn’t do so well at weigh in last evening but I know why and don’t have anyone to blame but myself. So now it is onward and about the business of losing weight. For some reason or another I had a very hungry week and succumbed to it. My FOCUS had deserted me but I now have it back. Since our WW meets on Monday’s only and Christmas Eve is next Monday we will meet on Thursday the 27th and on Thursday the 3rd in January since New Year’s Eve is on a Monday also. That is good for those of us who need to go to the meetings that they provide another day like that.

The animals all love this cooler weather but when it is cold and windy they sure don’t hang around outside much. Cecil is here right now sitting waiting for a “good boy” treat. He gets one and then he is off to pounce on Beanie. Beanie is one little dog that is full of energy and can give the cat as much as he gets. They are so cute when they curl up and nap together. I need to get a picture of that.

Will ordered a 2 pound box of Nuts and Chews from See’s Candy from out in CA which will be delivered here on Thursday. It is 2P+ a piece and our favorite from there. It also freezes well and I am going to do just that with my one pound of it. I’ll stretch tight wrap each piece and then place it in a zip lock freezer bag. It will last me a whole year that way for candy is not one of my red light foods. If Will wants his pound of it done that way I will wrap it also. Once in awhile I want a piece of chocolate and I might as well have a good chocolate piece from See’s instead of a candy bar of some sort. When we lived out there on that coast that was a tradition to get a box of it for our anniversary ~ but they will ship it out here ~ they are on the internet. If chocolate or candy is a red light food for you I suggest you don’t buy any of this from See’s and stay off their web site for they also have some wonderful suckers for 2P+ each. I still have some of those suckers that I brought out here when we moved here years ago. We used the suckers in with the stocking stuffer things for the kids back then. Life is good.

SUSAN I am so sorry you are having that nasty cold and bronchitis. That woman was totaly rude and unthoughtful of others to bring her germs to share. I'm going to love this new wand blender-mixer-processor I have for it will do most everything and takes up so little space. I am giving my old wand blender to my doctor to gift it to her brother to use making his smoothies. He hates using his blender for that for then he has to wash it. The wand is so much easier to wash. I love that "Success Handbook" for it is chock full of great ideas and helps. WW did a wonderful thing for us by putting that one together.

JEAN Sonny will adapt in time ~ look how far he has come already. It is probably the same storm that will give us snow that gives it to you on Wednesday. I haven't learned anything from that book so far but are not ready to stop reading it just yet.

Have a great day Magnolias.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:18 PM   #2  

Good Morning, Flowers! I've been to get a haircut earlier this morning, washed two loads of clothes, dried one, spent some time on the phone with a friend and here I am. It's very foggy here and misting this morning. We are on the very edge of snow that is heading in our direction. I need to make a WM run right after lunch so hope the snow doesn't happen until I get home again.

Susan -- I was glad to see your post this morning! I'm sorry you caught a cold; I don't think I would have been very nice in telling the gal she should have stayed home with her cold! I hope your cold is gone soon and the CPK enzyme test results are better this time. Since Sonny has been off the deck the squirrels have returned in full force. He is such a scaredy cat that he crouches as flat as he can and peeks over the edge of the sliding door to watch them chase around. If one jumps, Sonny jumps too.

Maggie -- I'm sorry about your gain from last week. But you know what to do and can do it with your determination and focus in place! I've never had See's candy but understand it is the Cadillac of candies! Freezing it sounds like a good plan!

I hear the washer buzzing so need to round up another load. Enjoy your day -- remember to be nice and smile!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:01 AM   #3  
Thin Within

Talking Wonderful Chilly Wednesday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

We are in for stormy weather today starting at 3PM today, they say, and lasting till Midnight with 1-3 inches of snow accumulation. In reality we will probably get maybe a half inch of snow, if that much. Seems the storms that come to this state make a circle around us.

I have been having the dickens of a time trying to keep my coffee container clean of build up and got smart and bought a baby bottle brush and that makes it whistling clean ~ all bright and shiny like new. The bottle brush I was using has too soft of an end on its bristles to tackle the bottom and sides as I wanted. It is nice to find a product made for something else to do the job I need done. I am not one of those coffee coinsures that thinks the dirtiest ones cup is the better the coffee tastes in it. Nope, I want my cup sparkling clean to begin with.

I am thinking of using my indoor pressure smoker to do a rack of ribs this day. I’ll rub them with some of my mix of spices, smoke them with apple wood and they will be a nice dinner this day along with some corn on the cob, corn bread and a nice big tossed salad.

I had made myself a handy little 3½ x 2¾ inch booklet of all of WW’s Power Foods and made copies for some friends at WW. Word got around and last meeting one of the ladies that had reached goal and is a helper at the table asked me for a couple ~ one for her and one for her friend. It got me to thinking if any of you Magnolias want one I can easily make you one and mail it to you ~ so let me know. I find it handy to have those Power Foods all together in a little booklet. Easier, for me, that way than having them all on that big sheet. I put magnet on the back of my copy and it is on the side of my microwave easy to get to.

I have been going to bed earlier and consequently it has me getting up earlier in the morning than I am used to doing in years. Not having a TV has been good for my sleep habits I see. We only miss having one on occasion but not enough to buy one and get hooked up again.

JEAN How many inches did they predict for your area? You will probably get more than we do. We do so need the moisture. Yep Sees is the very best and most say once you have had it you don't appreciate any other nearly as much. Will said he wants me to freeze his layer also.

Last edited by Maggie; 12-19-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:48 PM   #4  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's windy, cloudy, cold, and the snow is supposed to arrive later this afternoon dumping 4 - 5" on us. I made a quick grocery run to pick up Christmas dinner items since our stores have been known to run out when there is a holiday on the calendar.

My patience has been tried twice today and I'm not liking it much! I made a fast stop at WM en route and had 4 items; the 6 items or less checkouts were closed, of course, so went to the one that says 20 items or less. The young lady in front of me had 5 items while the old biddy in front of her had a cart full of groceries, clothes, and stuff. She had already unloaded her cart and I said to the gal in front of me, "gee, I counted and I have less than 20 items!" Meanwhile the checkout next to us emptied so I moved over. As I was leaving I went back to the nonwhite checker at 20 items or less, and said to her, "you should have told that lady she had too many items and would need to go to another checkout." The STUPID woman just stood there and looked at me. I am still thinking about calling the manager since the store was quite busy and there were only 3 checkouts open besides the self-service. I HATE that store!

Last Wed. I received an email concerning a memorial from a family (that I don't know) saying the daughter had contacted the church office regarding the same. So I sent an email off to the pastor . . . no response until today. He wants me to get the memorial committee together, come up with an idea and get it in the works before January 1st! They want a name plate put on the memorial item as well. Well, I wrote back and said I just didn't have time until we get back in January! He won't be happy but that's the way it is.

Maggie -- I use vinegar on coffee or tea stained cups; just a little bit mixed with hot water, let it set, and rinse. I have good luck with that. Not sure if I will make it to WW tomorrow or not. I'm about ready to abandon it until we get back from Florida. Your booklet sounds like a good thing, but I'm going to pass on it; my heart just isn't in WW right now. We were right on the edge of the snow storm with 1 - 2" predicted. Now the weatherman says the storm is moving further north so we will get more. Time will tell. My "mom" is scheduled to move tomorrow so she is sitting on pins and needles watching the weather channel.

I need to keep moving or I will continue to be behind. I'm beginning to panic even though I know it will all get done eventually. Enjoy the rest of your day!

Last edited by Jean; 12-22-2012 at 07:40 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #5  
Thin Within

Talking Back To Yack

ow
GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

I am a happy camper for at 7:30 PM UPS delivered my order from Bakers and I got all that nice healthy flour that I had ordered a few days back. Tomorrow I will be baking some awesome good bread using the Ancient Grains mix and get some of the Red Wheat Berries to sprouting for putting in salads.

We are getting hammered with that promised wind and snow right now. I still don't think we will accumulate much snow from this storm.

JEAN Are you just going to shoot for a "maintain" this holiday season? Lot's of folks are doing that. I am going to try to lose some weight and may end up just maintaining anyway. I certainly don't want to gain any more of my hard earned losings. Call the manager because if you don't report her then who will? If that isn't a rule of the store to have few items in that line then change the sign. Since it is a memorial service than can't it be done after the rush and hustle of this season?

Last edited by Maggie; 12-19-2012 at 08:53 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:58 AM   #6  

Good morning ladies. I have been nursing a sick husband this week and trying to rest in between that and Fortune noticing it and not sleeping either so I get no rest. I am pooped. Jack went back to work today though and says he is feeling much better. I just worry because it got cold quickly here and raining and the wind is gusting up to 50 mph today so I told him to make sure he bundled up when he went out.

I finished Thomas's socks finally and did the first loafer slipper for Kelly. I want her to try it on before I make the other one. It is interesting going from using tiny size 2 needles and sock/fingering yarn to size 13 needles and super bulky yarn. I also hate bamboo needles and that is all the large size double points come in so I am having to use them. The yarn doesn't slide very well for me on bamboo.

I just had to go out and retrieve our trash can. It was blowing down the street with about 5 others. Some of the people are never going to find theirs I am afraid. I am out of breath between waddling as fast as I could to go and catch it and the wind blowing me down the street with my nightgown blowing up around my waist and me fighting to keep it down and keep hold of the trash can and lid!

Tomorrow is doing some errands and taking Fortune to groomers. I have a list for things to get done for Christmas Eve. I think we will go to Fresh Market and get something special out of their butcher case for dinner Christmas day for us. They have a great fresh seafood section so may surf and turf or something.

Jean: The Walmarts here do that as do Target and every other store. I get mad and say stuff out loud too, but in this town, than can get you shot and Jack hates it when I made a scene. I hope the weather isn't too bad for you guys. I know Jay was supposed to get your weather too. It went from near 70 here yesterday evening into the upper 40's at the moment. The wind really makes it cold. I don't have a lot to do. I have to get some nice wrapping paper and ribbon and bow to put on Tom's parents' gift and to wrap T's socks in with his money, order a chocolate pie from Perkins and a few other things from the commissary like a pumpkin pie to bake and cheese ball and crackers, stuff like that. We have to go commissary shopping so I hope the lights stay on when we go this weekend.

Maggie: Have fun with your bread flour and such. Hope it works out for you. I am about 6 lbs down from last time I weighed myself but am just trying to stay even at least to get past next week. I am hoping now that the meds are out of my system I can actually get some weight off for good and keep losing.

Susan: Hope you are starting to feel better. Jack is coming around but it is slow going. The stuff has broken up in his chest and it coming up though so that is good. Though it irritates me that they take all the medicaid state plans it looks like and student college insurance and on and on that they don't take Tricare. I doubt medicaid pays much better than Tricare does. The real thing I was mad about was Jack having to sit for 2 hours sick when we wouldn't have gone in the first place if the website hadn't had Tricare on it or gone home when I went to check him in if Tricare had been on the insurance check in. I got an email back with a phone number to call if I am displeased. Big deal, they didn't even apologize.

Well gals, I am behind on cleaning work so have to try and hop to it. Have a good day and keep warm and dry!!! Faye
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thomasxmasocks.jpg (30.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg kellysslipper.jpg (39.0 KB, 8 views)
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:37 AM   #7  

Good morning, ladies. In the 50s and sunny.

I'm finally feeling better but still have a bit of a cough. Last night was our library bee dinner at Olive Garden. I always get the lunch portion of Venician Apricot Chicken there. It comes with Asparagus and no pasta, salad and bread stick. A good meal for 11 points.

Tonight is Ladies of the Evening bee and we are having pizza and salad so that will work out good for me too.

Faye, I love those socks and the slipper looks nice and warm. I'm glad Jack is feeling better. I had to lol at the picture of your running after the trash can with your nightgown blowing up.

Jean, I've had clerks at the 20 items of less check out tell me to come to them when they didn't have anyone in line even though my cart was full - and immediately 10 people line up with a few items behind me. If I were the clerk, I'd not have done anything because now days they pull out a gun and shot you for something like that. It's ridiculous to think anyone could get a memorial done by January 1 when the holidays are already here and people are traveling. Good for you for standing up for yourself. When you are ready to go back to WW, the kit is a great investment just to get the Success booklet. It really gets to the heart of the matter of what we need to to to lose weight successfully as far as routines, spaces and thinking.

Maggie, I'd love to have your booklet please. King Arthur Flour is one of our clients. They send us Maple Syrup and pancake mix and sometimes different flours when we place someone with them. I made one of their flour sacks into a quilted wall hanging. Please do not share your snow with me!

Have a wonderful day - it's a slow day here at work but I need to get back to it.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:39 AM   #8  
Thin Within

Talking Titilating Chilly Thursday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

We got about an inch of snow which blew around with the wind gusts at 50 & 60 MPH. The temp this day is 35º expected to get as low as 11º. You can bet that I am staying inside this day. Beanie is the only one of our animals that loves to go out when it is snowing and chase the flakes and catch them in his mouth. We always have a towel ready when he comes in. Will is off to the museum this day and before he goes he will bring me brunch from our coffee place along with a sf ff vanilla latte. I have a glass box to work on today and maybe I can finish it. I am gifting it to a gal in town so can deliver it in person. Her name is Rosie so I have a pretty red rose on the lid and I think she will like it fine. However, before I get to going with the glass I am going to get a loaf of bread cooking in my little machine using some of my new wonderful flour.

SUSAN I love the Olive Garden and one can find program friendly entrees there for sure. What you chose sounds yummy. I got a chuckle out of making a quilt out of one of King Arther's flour sacks. I buy flour in much smaller quantities and it comes in paper bags. My mom used to make us dresses out of the feed sacks that my grandfathers chicken feed came in. Nice pretty small flower patterns. I love ordering from them for they have so many things I can't get locally. Your little booklet will be in the mail tomorrow. OK we will keep the snow and not share it with you for we desperately need the moisture.

DONNA FAYE Wonderful that Jack is feeling better. That yuckie stuff sure hit him a hard wallop.Bet you take a nice catch up nap today. Thanks for the word picture of your retreval of that trash can. What a hoot. Ours in the alley outside the fence line always get blown over if kinda empty but don't go very far. They are numbered and the trash guys know where they belong and are good at retrieving errant ones.

JEAN One of the manager type gals that works at our coffee place gave me a few little packets of urn cleaner. I use just a spoonful with hot water and it usually cleans my cup great. Sometimes it just doesn't get a bit at the bottom. Thanks for the heads up on vinegar. It made me get out my vinegar book and it does tell how to clean coffee out of things as you mentioned vinegar and sure enough they recommend it for dishwashers and microwaves also.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:23 PM   #9  

Good Morning, Flowers! The wind is blowing hard, it's cold, and we got the snow last night; not sure how much but the wind blew it into drifts around our patio and in the driveway. The movers, for my "mom," came last night in order to beat the weather so she is officially moved. I am so thankful because the Plan B was for the 26th and I knew she would be even more nervous, and not be able to enjoy Christmas. She's been nervous about the move all fall so this weather sure didn't help. I've been awake since 3 am and feel like I've been spinning my wheels this morning. Every time I turn around I find something else that needs doing, fixing, or putting away. *sigh*

Maggie -- Glad to hear your flour arrived and you are a happy camper. I would be more than happy with a maintain through the holidays. The WW meeting this morning was cancelled because of the weather; the leader lives in another town and I'm sure country driving isn't good today. It wasn't a memorial service the family wanted, but a memorial "something" in honor of their mother. The lady didn't live here and her funeral was this fall. I've read many cleaning tips that say vinegar and soda are the two to use depending on what needs to be cleaned.

"Gma" -- I'm sorry Jack has been so sick; glad he felt well enough to go to work today. Thomas will love his socks, I'm sure. I hope Kelli's slipper fits and she likes it; the different sized needles is a big jump. I, too, have a mental picture of you chasing after your trash can. on losing another 6#s!

Susan -- I'm glad you are feeling better! I know you will enjoy your Evening with the Ladies tonight. For anyone who doesn't know, and reads this, they will wonder about you! I've had the same thing happen to me when the clerks have an empty checkout. It just struck me wrong yesterday; normally I wouldn't say anything and sputter to Bob later. I worry about the guns being carried around in this town, and would never ever confront anyone one on one.

I need to keep moving or it won't get done today. Have a terrific Thursday and enjoy!
Old 12-21-2012, 09:54 AM   #10  

Good morning to you all! It is sunny and here today. I was going to go out and do errands and such, but Fortune kept me up all night last night and so I canceled his grooming appt and tried to sleep for another hour or so, but gave up on it. He is so restless anymore. He has all his shots and such next month and I am going to have them check him for diabetes as he drinks huge amounts of water and pees constantly it seems. I know he has a heart problem but not much you can do about it I am afraid. I'll have Doc Mongomery give him a good once over. He is 13 so he is up in years though yorkies live a pretty long live.

I was negligent in thanking those of you that sent Christmas cards. They were lovely and we enjoyed them very much. We were going to do photo Christmas cards from the trip, but I hated the professional photos so much I gave up that idea so you are stuck with ecards this year.

Jean: I am so glad your mom got all moved in. I am sure it is a great relief off her mind. I am just thankful there were no cars or kids waiting for the school bus yesterday morning because they would have gotten a show! Jack calls my boobs Nina and Tina and I told him they were about the only thing that weren't blowing in the wind so to speak! I think Kelly's slipper is going to do fine. I put it on yesterday and it stretched enough for me to have it on then bounced back so it should do fine. I might even order myself some of that yarn and make a pair. I wear out my socks so fast wearing them in the house all the time. The slipper like I made for you guys don't stay on my feet very well. I don't think they are deep enough so I wear men's tennis type socks all the time.

Maggie: Jack is feeling much better today, though I hated for him to go out in the weather. Like I said, the other techs are on Christmas vacation as is the electricians so most of what needs to be worked on won't get done until Wednesday since they have Monday off. Most work are two man jobs though Jack has this huge single person job assigned to him that he may be able to work on today until they let everyone leave, if they do let them leave early. They are having a Christmas dinner so that's a good sign.

Well girls, chores to get done so I better get to them. Have a great day and weekend! Faye
Old 12-21-2012, 10:41 AM   #11  

Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is shining, NO wind, and it feels like -7 outside. It's wonderful to see Mr. Sun! Today I will pick up the last of my groceries as I doubt the stores will have deliveries on Monday, and one isn't open on Sundays. I need to do some serious dusting and vacuuming; the sunshine sure helps in the motivation department!

"Gma" -- I'm sorry Fortune wouldn't settle down last night. Bob says he hears Sonnybub late at night; we can't decide if he is talking or a complainer. He has picked up on going to the basement for bedtime treats so that makes getting him downstairs much easier. He and Ernie have had a couple "discussions;" Ernie takes a swing and then walks away. I suppose it is part of deciding who is in charge around here. No hissing nor growling which is good. The storm was much worse in central Iowa than here; they lost electricity and had several deaths due to accidents. They finally closed the interstates around the Des Moines area. Beth said there were a couple cars in the ditch when she went to work on Wednesday; she also travels interstate which is under construction, and I worry about her -- not her as much as some other idiot.

I need to keep moving and do some serious cleaning today. Have a GREAT day!
Old 12-21-2012, 12:38 PM   #12  

Good afternoon, ladies! 45 degrees and overcast now. We had rain this morning.

This afternoon is some housework and making my menus for next week and grocery list so I can stop at Trader Joe's and Kroger after WW tomorrow. I imagine it'll be pretty lightly attended - and then the storm will hit with all the New Year's resolutions.

I, too, apprecite your Christmas cards. I haven't set any out this year. I've just felt more depressed as Christmas gets closer. I most feel the lack of family this time of year.

We had a good time at Ladies of the Evening last night. Plenty of pizza and salad and one of the ladies brought gingerbread men for all of us and a gingerbread house for me. I'm going to have to take it apart and cut it into servings size pieces and freeze it before I eat it all. She is a home economics teacher and has developed this house that fits into a shoebox so her students can make them and take them home. We had fun with a Chinese gift swap. I ended up with a lovely big quilted bag I can use for overnight or the gym.

My box gave me $700 and a case of wine. I have 1-2 glasses of wine a year so this will be used for hostess and birthday gifts for those who will enjoy it more. He is big into wines and I'm sure this is a very expensive one from what the label says and the instructions he gave me. I'm a 2 buck chuck girl myself (although its $3.29 now). One of the tenants at work gave me a lovely Lenox mug which I love because it is china and thin and another gave me $100 gift card to Barnes and Noble.

Faye, I am having a terrible time finding women's socks that come above the ankle. I guess I must be hopelessly out of date but those short things don't keep my ankles warm and I can't find cotton socks. I have big feet so I went to the men's department and got me a 6-pack of white cotton work socks. I have to wear shoes all the time now, but I used to run around in my socks, too. Be careful you don't slip and fall! I hope Fortune isn't diabetic. Maybe the doc can give him a sleeping pill so you can sleep.

Jean, Casper has become a creature of habit. I usually go to bed by 10 pm and if I stay up later, he keeps going to the stairs and looking to see if I'm coming. After several tries, he gives me a dirty look at gets into his bed and goes to sleep. He's a good little cat until 7 am - and then he wants me up and breakfast to appear in his bowl.

Maggie, I clean a lot of things with vinegar. Vinegar and Dawn Dish Detergent mixed 50-50 is a wonderful cleaner in the bathroom. Soap scum just melts away in no time. One drop of dawn vinegar and water is a good window cleaner. I know Rosie will be thrilled with her box.

Have a wonderful day.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:57 PM   #13  
Thin Within

Talking Finally Friendy Chilly Friday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

The box of Sees candy arrived last evening and we did our trading and I now have all of “mine” in little individual plastic bags in a bigger zip lock freezer bag and in the freezer. I ate one piece for the 2P+ it cost and it was sure was worth it. What usually happens with things of this sort is when Will eats all of his then I always share mine with him. Works for us. Around this time of the year my mother always had a pretty glass footed dish with a matching lid sitting on a living room table that she always had Sees candy in for the guests to help themselves. There was another covered dish that held the homemade fudge for she had the See’s recipe for that. I used to make that fudge every year and put it in small boxes of six pieces to gift it to guests. If anyone wants that recipe I can e-mail it to you easily enough but it is 4P+ a piece. I have a recipe that I make now days by WW and it is only 2P+ for 2 pieces.

When cleaning out my desk tray I found a little clipping I had made from the Cooking Light magazine back in June. It is for Taha’s Vanilla Salt’s large, crunchy, fragrant flakes. They say they are good on grilled fish, pork, or chicken and on grilled peaches or fresh berries. After the first of the New Year I am going to order a container of it for I will definitely get some use out of it even now since I do some indoor grilling and I have berries in the freezer. We like grilled peaches when they are in season and I will surely like them better with some of this vanilla salt on them. We like eating fruit with our meals for they are yummy plus they aid in digestion. I now have that clipping pinned to my bulletin board so it doesn’t just float around on my desk and get lost or tossed.

Will came in with a bag full of Christmas music that he got 3 for 2 dollars and they are good music by the old classics. Bing Crosby, Nat King Cole, Lena Horn, Beach Boys, Lou Rauls, Ella fitsgerald, Tennesse Earnie Ford, Merle Haggard, The Andrew Sisters, to name just a few. I have been playing them one after another. And one of my favorites is Handel's Messiah with the London Symphony with Jackson conducting. I now have 30 Christmas Music CD's consisting of many types of music.

DONNA FAYE The vet can fix your little pooch up with some meds that will make his life better and let you get some sleep. I am so glad that Jack is so much better. Being sick and having to work is the pits for sure. Thanks for the e-card it was lovely. I didn’t send a whole lot of cards out this year because postage is so stinkin’ high. I’ll pass out the ones I have for all the folks at church on Sunday.

JEAN Your house will be ship shape come the holiday time. Your two animals will get along eventually ~ takes cats longer than dogs to get used to each other it seems. Do you have much snow accumulation on the ground yet? Ours is looking mighty thin. I made a small loaf of bread using some of my newly purchased flour in my machine and it was sure tasty plus loaded with fiber. Fresh home made bread is so good. Makine the small loaves is great because it does get eaten before it gets to dry for anything but toast or making awsome breadcrumbs.

SUSAN You got some nice gifts from your friends at work. Wine is a good tenderizer when you cook it with meat ~ it doesn’t care if it is cheap wine or very expensive. I am sure I could find uses for a case of it even though we don’t drink it. I am sure your friends that do enjoy a “good” glass of wine will be so happy to be gifted a bottle from you. We received several gift cards from folks in today’s mail for eating places around town and our favorite coffee place. Those are always nice to get and we are thankful for them. We got a nice card and gift card from those parents of that young man we let live in our basement last year. They are ever grateful for us letting him live here. But you know ~ it was our pleasure for he was a wonderfully raised young man. I just know I would really like his parents if we knew them. He is welcome to come here whenever he needs a place to stay. I can imagine you are especially lonely for your main squeeze this time of the year even though you have some wonderful friends it just isn’t the same.

Last edited by Maggie; 12-21-2012 at 04:59 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:29 AM   #14  

Good Morning! The sun is shining, a breeze is blowing, and it's 24 degrees this morning. A beautiful winter day if I say so myself! I'm working on my "to do" list and have laundry going. My new shades are being installed Monday morning of all days! I figured the guy wouldn't want to come until after the new year so was pleasantly surprised. The sun shines in my kitchen window at noon, and I told Bob we would need to figure out something to cover that window while we ate. That's one thing I can cross off my list!

Susan -- Wow! You received some really nice gifts from your boss and tenants! I think I would enjoy the mug over the wine, since I could match you glass for glass! Sonnybub chased Ernie around the island this morning and that's a first. He's also found the picture window facing the street which Ernie has never paid any attention to. I can imagine, my also being and "only," how much you miss your family. My dad died just before Ian was born and I know how much he would have enjoyed Ian since he is so much like Jason it's spooky. You do have a nice family of friends to rely on.

Maggie -- Sees fudge . . . ! I would like to have the recipe since the kids are always asking for homemade fudge. I can buy it at a local store but she charges an arm and a leg for it. I didn't buy any this year. I would be in trouble with your bread baking; I could live on bread and potatoes!

I'm on a mission to pick up another load for the washer so I'm off. Have a wonderful day and enjoy!
Old 12-22-2012, 03:37 PM   #15  

Good afternoon gals. We went out early, went to Perkins for breakfast, I bought one of their french silk chocolate pies as my sil and grandson like them so much, then went to Fresh Market. I could spend hundreds in this store so I don't go in too often. Since we are alone on Christmas Day, we treated ourselves to a couple fancy strip steaks, will fix a nice salad and baked potato with a yeast roll for our Christmas dinner. We bought some deli meat and cheese for a couple sandwiches during the holiday, I bought a loaf of their yummy sourdough bread and a cheese ball to take to Kelly's on Tuesday. I am supposed to provide yeast rolls and pies for dinner, but I am taking cheese ball and crackers for Jack. Kelly always makes yummy snacks for before dinner, but Jack usually doesn't partake any fancy stuff.

After Fresh Market, we brought stuff home and put it away then headed out to Target. Jack found a front parking space, which was a miracle and I bought a few things I wanted from there and we actually got checked out right away so today wasn't bad at all. Tomorrow is commissary day and it might be nuts.

Jack is still coughing on and off, but is feeling much better I think. So far, I haven't contracted it and keeping my fingers crossed.

Maggie: I have several nice Christmas CD's I play during the holiday. I have a Johnny Mathis one that is very nice. My favorite Christmas time candy is Cella cherries. When I was a kid, my mom always bought the ribbon candy and those chocolate drop that had the fondant sort of center dipped in chocolae. Of course there were always lots of peppermint candy canes. They didn't have those flavored ones like they do now. On the ship, you got grilled tomatoes on the entree dishes. I remember laughing at one of the servers commenting to me that they had to get rid of them some way, when I said something about always getting a tomato on my plate.

Susan: I know it must be tough being without Stan and not having children and grandchildren during Christmas. There is something about this holiday that tends to make you think of family. Though we have family, we always find it sad to think about our parents being gone over the holiday, especially Jack's parents. Just know besides all your wonderful Yorktown friends, you have lifelong friends right here! I had to giggle at getting a case of wine considering you don't have a big family or even a spouse to share it with. Makes it sound like you are a lush! My family shudders with horror when it comes to champagne or wine and myself. First off, I don't like wine or liquor pretty much at all and I hate beer. The thing is, during the holiday, we usually have one glass together as a toast with the family and I always put ice in my wine or champagne as I can't stand it if it isn't really cold! It is a standing joke that I will embarrass the family by asking for ice if we have wine, like on the ship. Truth is, I would ask for a glass of ice!

Jean: We've beat you by just a bit in the temps today. It was around 29 first thing this morning. It is nice and sunny but quite cool here today. Thomas is Tom through and through, tall and skinny and has the same mannerisms. He is all southern too, which Nonny finds enduring hearing that southern voice coming out of him. I talked to him the night of his concert about the fact that he is 5th chair in the concert band, but it looked to me like the first three chairs are pretty tall guys and are probably 8th graders so he should move up next year. He said, "Actually Nonny, the first 4th chairs are 8th graders so I will make 1st chair next year." He deserves it though. He is in the Eagles Ensemble, which is a small group like a jazz band would be and pretty good for a 7th grader. I have stuff to do this afternoon, but I doubt it will get done. I went ahead and made the other slipper for Kelly and am working on a chevron scarf made with sock needles and yarn for me. That is more fun than cleaning house!

Everyone enjoy their weekend. I have to endure bowl games this afternoon. Faye