General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 12-25-2012, 11:40 PM   #1  
babybat

Height: 5'7

Default true or false, weight loss is just as much as a mental game?

I find it to be very true. Right now I'm kind of having a bit of a meltdown on the inside. I'm handling it alright but I do feel extremely sad (for no reason) you know? Also what's bugging me the most right now is waiting.
I've been doing everything right but weight loss takes time. It's something I accept but do you ever have those days were you just wanted to feel like you did something special? I guess like my signature says, slow and steady wins the race BUT it is playing on me mentally more than anything. Also my goal is to be down 10 pounds by 2013 (I think if I work hard I might make it???) Either way I'm still here and on the wagon, let me know how you're doing too by the way. Happy Holidays.

Babybat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:33 AM   #2  

Height: 5'8.5"

"Mental games" can have an effect on weight loss, except I prefer to think of that in terms of you can consciously use your mind to help make losing weight fun and turn it into a game. There is lots of that going on around this forum. Yes, of course, there can be the opposite, when letting stress, etc., cause you to eat. We have to make a choice which one it will be for us.

You expect to lose ten pounds in a week? Well, I won't say you won't make it but that is an incredibly high goal and seems to be setting yourself up for disappointment and failure. Even that much in a MONTH would be difficult, though perhaps possible when you are first starting out. But most of us just have to chug along at a much slower rate, especially if we are on *healthful* eating and exercise plans. We would all like to lose it by tomorrow but it just isn't going to happen in the real world.

I wish you well.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:35 AM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Personally, I believe that it's 0% mental and 100% physical for some people, and 100% mental and 0% physical for others, but that for the vast majority of people it's some of each, but not necessarily 50/50.

For most of my life I concentrated far more on the mental than the physical. I didn't realize that low-carb eating would change my physiological response to food.

I don't think it's easy (or many times even possible) to determine just how much of a person's weight issues are physical and/or mental. You can just experiment with various strategies and do more of what works and less of what doesn't.

I don't think you even need to know or care how much is mental and how much is physiological.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:55 AM   #4  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

I definitely think this journey is a mental one.
I had to be mentally and emotionally ready to make changes. I struggle with progress and seeing results, but then I remind myself I didn't gain 80 plus pounds overnight, I can't expect to lose it over night.
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:06 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

It is different for everyone which is why so many different plans exist and so many different plans are successful.

For example, I am the opposite of Kaplods - I prefer high carbs and find it easier, I cannot do low carb! Yet we are both successful. Sometimes the biggest mental hurdle is being able to figure out what is working for your body and that requires education - as well as trial & error. But I think it is certainly mental strength that one needs in order to endure that trial & error, rather than throw in the towel.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:32 AM   #6  
*Embrace Power*

S/C/G: 332/279.8/195

Height: 5'5

For me it is both, very mental and physical, probably more like %60 %40 for me over trying so many different plans and seeing what type of lifestyle I could maintain after reaching goal for the rest of my life. One of my biggest problems growing up when I was curvy and not fat at all was my mental outlook on the way my body looked. I thought I was extremely fat because I was comparing myself to the models in magazines and the super thin girls at school. This for me is not about a physical change but a complete mental change as well, being super happy with who I am. I am finally to a point mentally where I have been completely happy with myself and who I have become, that the rest will fall into place with dedication and hard work. That's just the way I see it though, and that is what works for me!
Pink Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:47 AM   #7  

Height: 5'8.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
I don't think you even need to know or care how much is mental and how much is physiological.
I agree completely!!!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:00 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 183/166/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babybat View Post
I've been doing everything right but weight loss takes time. It's something I accept but do you ever have those days were you just wanted to feel like you did something special?
Ugh, yes!!!! I get frustrated by this all the time. I, too, wanted to be at least 169 by Jan 1, and who knows, it might happen, but it just happens SO SLOWLY it drives me crazy.
BreathingSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:18 PM   #9  
babybat

Height: 5'7

thanks everyone, kind of embarrassed because I posted this late at night when I wasn't in the right mind set XD

But I don't really care, it's not easy either way. And I have to agree with breathingspace and mozzy
Babybat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:00 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 166/145/115

Height: 5'4

This whole weight loss journey has been a mental challenge for me. Every few pounds I successfully lose, I try to stall and maintain for a while before jumping back and trying to lose more. Slow and steady DOES win the race!
Bloopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:20 AM   #11  

For some people it's definitely a mind game. I'm one of those, and sadly my mind isn't strong enough right now.
Gillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:04 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 131/sig/110

true. we definitely have to be mentally strong to push ourself out of a bad habit or lifestyle that has become a norm for some time. it's not a game though.
Lemongrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:00 AM   #13  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

I think it is different for even the same person depending on the day/week/month. Obviously it's different from person to person no matter what.

Weight loss: Simple in concept, difficult in practice, whether it be mental or physical or a mixture of both.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:05 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

Default I'm Mental

It's definitely a mental challenge for me. I'm an emotional eater who lives alone -- not the best recipe for success! I go to the gym even though I hate it because I can actually tell I feel better. But, the sticking to the diet, avoiding foods that I crave and love, fighting the desire for the endorphin rush that certain foods bring -- that's all mental.

Sounds like all of us are different, and the important thing is to figure out what triggers problems for us and then find ways to cope with them. The posts of people who have been successful at losing help me a lot to incorporate ideas into my daily living.
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:48 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by betsy2013 View Post
It's definitely a mental challenge for me. I'm an emotional eater who lives alone -- not the best recipe for success! I go to the gym even though I hate it because I can actually tell I feel better. But, the sticking to the diet, avoiding foods that I crave and love, fighting the desire for the endorphin rush that certain foods bring -- that's all mental.

Sounds like all of us are different, and the important thing is to figure out what triggers problems for us and then find ways to cope with them. The posts of people who have been successful at losing help me a lot to incorporate ideas into my daily living.
sorry if it's off topic, but what is an endorphin rush?
Gillian is offline   Reply With Quote