Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 01:31 PM   #1  
Lifestyle Changer

S/C/G: see sig

Height: 5' 6"

Default Losing weight at 50

Hello, I am a new member, just joined a few minutes ago. I have a great deal of weight to lose and have some physical limitations to boot. I hope I can find like-minded people here to share this journey with. I find my need to lose this amount of weight a bit overwhelming. I have rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalga that will limit the exercise that I am able to do. I need to go from 291 down to 160 ish and the ripe old age of 50!
Old 11-19-2012, 03:06 PM   #2  

Welcome! Most of losing weight is diet. If you can get your diet in check, the weight will come off. As the weight comes off, your activity will increase. Good luck to you. Keep a positive outlook. Focus on what you CAN do. What you CAN control.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:13 PM   #3  
Sherry, Senior Member

S/C/G: 194/172/158

Height: 5'-7

Smile

Rhonda,

I just turned 57 nov 1st and i have lost 39lbs and 26 1/2 inches since July of this year. I went to the Metabolich Research Center Weight loss center and they helped me lose weight and inches and showed me how to eat healthy and not be hungry. There are alot of forums on here so take it slow and don't get overwhelmed. I use www.myfitnesspal.com to track all my calories and there are some wonderful women my age that have lost over 100 lbs just by counting calories, you should check it out. good luck and keep in touch!
Old 12-04-2012, 03:11 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 333.5/306.5/200

Height: 5 ft. 11 in.

Hello and welcome. I am losing weight at 54! I also am disabled but I have been successful in finding exercises I can do and am journaling what I eat for my once a month weigh-in with a dietician. I have found this forum to be very encouraging and am glad that I joined.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:41 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 222/Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Welcome! You can do it with diet alone. I'm 62 and it took me about 10 months to lose 50 pounds but I did it with diet alone. I just recently started to work on fitness, mainly because I feel so much better now. I'm walking and taking yoga classes. Best of luck with your journey. This forum has been a great help since I discovered it a couple of months ago.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:38 PM   #6  
Empress/Queen

Good luck on your journey. Definitely you can reach your goals, age & physical challenges may enter into the equation but people lose weight successfully at all ages and with all kinds of physical challenges.

And yea, diet is the first thing to tackle and organize and as your health improves with weight loss (it will), you could consider adding walking and/or other types of exercise into the equation ... or not ... it is your journey, have fun. You'll do 'er!
Old 12-18-2012, 08:32 PM   #7  
Julie

S/C/G: 98kgs/97kgs/75kgs

Height: 165cm

G'day Rhonda Marie,
I am a newbie to and just signed up a few minutes ago, I have the same conditions as you and find it hard at times just to function, with the fibromyalgia, I have about 25 kgs to lose which is about 50 pounds I think, I am finding that short walks and my stationary bike are a start to my exercising plan.
I have been on these forums a few times over the years and have always met some lovely ladies and always found motivation and plenty of feedback and help. I know you can do it, it just takes time and a matter of finding what works for you. Good Luck on this journey
Old 12-24-2012, 09:59 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 194 pounds/ Goal weight: 171 p

Height: Female, 1.78 or 5 foot 10

I´m a newbie too and found this forum only yesterday. I need to lose 9 kilos and to keep that weight.

It´s not the first time I start a weight loss project. Christmas 2009 I started walking, swimming and doing yoga and lost 18 kilos. I´ve gained 9 kilos back because of job cuts and financial stress.

I´ve started drinking more water and eating more during the day and cutting down on my night eating. I went on a walk today and will continue tomorrow.

Best of luck to all of you.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:06 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

The best thing about 3FC and this forum? Finding out that I'm far from alone. It's not that misery loves company. It's that instead of getting the hurtful stares and doctors inane comments of "you need to lose weight" people are willing to share their successes, their challenges, and their support. Ssssoooooo glad I found this site.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:20 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 256/227/160

Height: 5'-6"

I'm turning 50 in just over 6 months and find exercise challenging due to pulmonary issues, so I'm right there with you! I am pretty new here myself, but I will see you around the boards, and will be happy to share our successes and challenges together!
Old 01-03-2013, 08:49 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 245/245/200

Height: 5' 7"

Good evening ladies! Thought I might join you. You sound like a great group. I was 54 in August. I always find great moral support here. Hope we have a good journey together.

Kathy
Old 01-04-2013, 11:37 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 245/245/200

Height: 5' 7"

Good morning all, hope you have a wonderful day!

Betsy, I love what you said. Maybe that is the biggest key, to be able to share in a positive environment that lifts us all up. Made my day, girl!

Off to the treadmill. I should go thru my videos to see what I even have. It's been so long I've forgotten what's in that drawer!

Kathy
Old 01-05-2013, 12:08 AM   #13  
wonderful shrinking woman

S/C/G: Lbs: 400/T*2.2/150

Height: 5'6"

I'm in. I'm 60 (and a little more). I believe it is possible to lose a significant amount of weight at our age. It's also possible to do it with limited ability. I have a spinal cord injury which has resulted in chronic nerve pain and partial paralysis. I can still walk, though with pain so I do pool exercise and work out on a recumbent bicycle. It isn't much but it's more than I could do before I started.

Along with others, I recommend calorie counting, but I'm kind of a nerd so it works for me. I've heard others complain that it's too much work. Regardless of the method, it's got to be for you and no one else. These boards are here for support when you need it and help celebrating your successes.

Good luck!
Old 01-05-2013, 10:14 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

I'm 62 and need to lose around 250 pounds! But for right now, I'm focused on the smaller goal of getting down to where I was before the holidays. As you can tell from the posts, watching calories will result in weight loss. Getting a buddy to go down the path with you will help a lot. Setting a number of smaller goals doesn't make it seem so overwhelming. And for me, logging in and reading the posts every day has been wonderful. It's let me know that I'm not alone in this! Good luck.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:09 PM   #15  

Height: 5ft 4inch

Hello all, I am a newbe here as well, looking for a place that I can come and vent as well as learn, hope not vent much but sometimes one needs to and always good to hear advise, weight lose is not easy but I want to lose 80 lbs, I will be 54 in a few weeks and I hope to lose it before I get my senior discount ar 55 lol. I am doing medifast my first week weigh in I lost 8 lbs.

Last edited by future thin chick; 01-12-2013 at 10:11 PM. Reason: spelling.
Closed Thread