Old 12-19-2012, 10:03 AM   #1  

S/C/G: Goal 145

Height: 5'4"

Default Had to go to alternatives

Hello,

I have switched to alternative products, but something has kicked me out of ketosis and I can't figure out what it is. I went to the local nutrition store to purchase a protein shake alternative. I brought the IP box with me and the trainer helped me pick out Syntrax Nectar. It has a great taste, almost like an iced coffee. However, I am wondering if I am now now consumming enought carbs in the day.

Does anyone know what the daily breakdown of protein, carbs and fat is on IP? I am using a protein bar at night for a snack which I purchased at Stop and Stop, their brand, that has the same ingredients at the IP bars.

Total Calories 75
Calories From Fat 0 0
Total Fat 0 g 0%
Saturated Fat 0 g 0%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
Sodium 15 mg 1%
Potassium 40 mg 1%
Total Carbohydrates 0 g 0%
Dietary Fiber 0 g 0%
Sugars 0 g
Protein 18 g 12%
Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 6%
Iron 0%
Phosphorus 6%
Magnesium 0%

Average Amino Acid Profile Per 100 Grams of Protein
L-Leucine 11.9 g
L-Isoleucine 6.7 g
L-Valine 6.2 g
L-Lysine 9.7 g
L-Methionine 2.0 g
L-Phenylalanine 3.3 g
L-Threonine 7.2 g
L-Tryptophan 2.1 g
L-Arginine 2.4 g
L-Glutamic Acid (Glutamine) 7.4 g
L-Histidine 1.7 g
DawnK31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:10 AM   #2  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Before being able to help pinpoint what is going on, I would ask how you came to the conclusion you were kicked out of ketosis? If you are using ketostix, they are HIGHLY unreliable. If you are drinking enough water, ketones will barely register on them if at all. What are you experiencing that is making you think something is wrong?

Syntrax Nectar is pretty commonly used by folks on alternatives, and in looking at the nutritional info on the bar you posted it looks OK, though a bit low in calories. There isn't any hard and fast rule on nutritional intake when in Phase 1, the program was designed to NOT have you counting your intake and just following the sheet. I say this having been on alternatives for the past 11 weeks

That being said, AVERAGE intakes of protein fall in the 90-110g per day, and carbs in the 20-40g NET carbs per day. Fat isn't measured, but any products should be under 30% total calories from fat - other than your daily 1-2tsp of oil.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:32 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 254/229.5/190

Height: 5"8

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
Before being able to help pinpoint what is going on, I would ask how you came to the conclusion you were kicked out of ketosis? If you are using ketostix, they are HIGHLY unreliable. If you are drinking enough water, ketones will barely register on them if at all. What are you experiencing that is making you think something is wrong?

Syntrax Nectar is pretty commonly used by folks on alternatives, and in looking at the nutritional info on the bar you posted it looks OK, though a bit low in calories. There isn't any hard and fast rule on nutritional intake when in Phase 1, the program was designed to NOT have you counting your intake and just following the sheet. I say this having been on alternatives for the past 11 weeks

That being said, AVERAGE intakes of protein fall in the 90-110g per day, and carbs in the 20-40g NET carbs per day. Fat isn't measured, but any products should be under 30% total calories from fat - other than your daily 1-2tsp of oil.
I have to agree 100%! The ketostix, they are HIGHLY unreliable!!!!!!!!
Billster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:03 AM   #4  

S/C/G: Goal 145

Height: 5'4"

Thanks for the replies. I did weigh in the morning and I am down 2 1/2 lbs. I was concerned because reviewing my journals, which I keep through the LoseIt app and website, I saw that my carb count was much lower than it had been. I had kept my daily intake between 25 and 35 and some of the days it was between 10 and 15.

Thanks,
Dawn
DawnK31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:25 PM   #5  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnK31 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I did weigh in the morning and I am down 2 1/2 lbs. I was concerned because reviewing my journals, which I keep through the LoseIt app and website, I saw that my carb count was much lower than it had been. I had kept my daily intake between 25 and 35 and some of the days it was between 10 and 15.

Thanks,
Dawn
I gotcha. A day here and there where you are super low in carb isn't going to have much of an effect on your progress one way or the other, though you may find that you are low on energy those days. Are you replacing all 3 daily products with alternatives, and are you including one restricted item in those 3 products? It may be that your very low days were days you didn't include a restricted (9g net carbs or more). Listen to your body, it will tell you if you are too low on carbs too often - but it sounds like you're doing great!
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:18 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 242/219/195

Height: 5'11"

Hi there I am thinking of supplementing iP products with alternatives but am not sure what to buy. I've read a lot on alternatives but I live in Ontario Canada and I don't know what's comparable to the products in the US.

Are there any Canadians out there that can help? I drink the chocolate drink in the morning mixed with my coffee (love the creaminess) and the prepared pudding cups for lunch.

Thanks for the help!!
zweezers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:13 PM   #7  

Im in alberta! Do you have a costco or walmart close by? You could also PM me if you want to know what i use.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:18 PM   #8  

Billster Thx for your reply! Can't pm apparently not enough posts yet!
We do have a costco and I was using the Kaisen protein powder from there but it didn't mix well with coffee (not creamy) and was too much protein I think. (39 grams of protein) I did go on the well.ca site and they had protidiet which got good reviews. I was going to order the chocolate drink, hot cocoa and vanilla pudding. What do you use if you don't mind sharing?

Thanks again!
Old 01-01-2013, 08:25 PM   #9  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by zweezers View Post
Hi there I am thinking of supplementing iP products with alternatives but am not sure what to buy. I've read a lot on alternatives but I live in Ontario Canada and I don't know what's comparable to the products in the US.

Are there any Canadians out there that can help? I drink the chocolate drink in the morning mixed with my coffee (love the creaminess) and the prepared pudding cups for lunch.

Thanks for the help!!
I've done all but the first week of my dieting here while using alternatives. As a result a few months ago I ended up putting a blog together, which is designed to help others who are wanting to 'go alternative'. You may find it useful, especially as I'm Canadian too. The link is below in my signature.
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:00 PM   #10  

I get at costco- simply bars (they come in a mix pack, lemon coconut are amazing!) and i get a case of premier nutrition shakes 18 to a case for $25. I have only found chocolate out here at many different costcos. 30g protein some days i have two an its never hurt weight loss.

Walmart pure protein shakes- not my fav but good. I also get oh yeah bars there small sized. Iso femme bars- i HATE these.

GNC i get iso flex chocolate peanut butter powder i use this to make ice cream or "pudding". 120 cal, 1 carb, 24 protein. I buy 6lbs tubs of it as my husband drinks it everyday$100 for 124 servings.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:02 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by evepet View Post
I've done all but the first week of my dieting here while using alternatives. As a result a few months ago I ended up putting a blog together, which is designed to help others who are wanting to 'go alternative'. You may find it useful, especially as I'm Canadian too. The link is below in my signature.
Your blog has helped me lots! Great recipe ideas as well! Keep posting!
Old 01-01-2013, 09:18 PM   #12  

Thanks Billster and Evepet! I am going to head to Costco this week!
Old 01-01-2013, 09:18 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

I use Muscle Milk lite (prepared) chocolate mixed with cold French pressed coffee in the morning. I get the Muscle Milk Lite at Sam's Club
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:21 PM   #14  
Started IP 3/26/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billster View Post
Your blog has helped me lots! Great recipe ideas as well! Keep posting!
Thanks Billster. Glad it helped. I've got a bit sidetracked since originally getting the main content up, but I'll try to spend more time there again with some daily blogging.
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote