Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220.6/193.7/125.0

Height: 5''5'

Unhappy Dieting in house full of fastfood junkies

Hey guys my name is Brittany. I am 21 and trying to lose weight, but it is so hard when my Husband,sister and father are always trying to get me to eat out. I hate it. When I tell them no it's like I am breaking their heart. It's stressful. I am currently weighing in at 193.7, my begining weight was 220.5. What are your tips on avoiding eating fast food when so many people are trying to get you to eat out?
BrittanyRinkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:49 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 247/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4

Sometimes I partake but make smart choices as to what I get, but most of the time I say no, they should understand then as you show your loss more they will really understand why you say no
Thedollylala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:00 PM   #3  

Can you sit down with your husband and explain to him the nutrition facts and that it's really important for you to get his support on this? I just turn it down. I say no, no, no. Sometimes it leads to my family feeling offended or like I'm making some kind of judgement about their diet, but my body and health is more important.

I have to do this with alcohol too. I have an addictive personality and I live with people who drink and encourage me to drink. I have to just say no or I get brought down with them.
CabernetKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:05 PM   #4  

Height: 5'8.5"

I would go with them while they eat, for the family time, but no way would I eat it. Have something healthful for yourself either before or afterwards.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:09 PM   #5  

Hey Thanks guys! These are some great tips. I struggle with binge eating so I feel like I have to say no almost 90% of the time. Have you guys struggled with any eating disorders ?
Old 12-10-2012, 09:26 PM   #6  
Fear does not = fate

S/C/G: 295/140/nogoal :)

Height: 5'2"

There are actually a lot of healthy choices you can make at fast food places now.

http://www.healthchecksystems.com/ffood.htm

I went ahead and linked you a page, where you can pick from some options if they won't take no for an answer

I've found ways to make "faux" fast food. I make my own french fries, turkey burgers, buffalo chicken salad with chicken breast and a tiny bit of blue cheese and yogurt vs blue cheese dressing.

www.skinnytaste.com has a lot of snack choices for the boys as well
owlsteazombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:41 PM   #7  
Jessica

S/C/G: 153/132/fit and confident

Height: 5'8"

my man and I used to eat out ALL THE TIME- when we moved in to our first apartment I can only remember 4 or maybe 5 times that we actually ate at home and we lived there for over a year!

When we moved to our new house I started cooking a lot more and viola! we almost always eat and home, and since I'm the one making it- I get to decide what were having.

I used to hate cooking but once I learned how, I actually enjoy it now

oh and check out the "chicks in control" forum. Lots of us bingers hang out there!
danzingurl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:26 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrittanyRinkin View Post
Hey Thanks guys! These are some great tips. I struggle with binge eating so I feel like I have to say no almost 90% of the time. Have you guys struggled with any eating disorders ?
I struggle with binge eating also (not vomiting ever, but eating thousands of calories in a sitting until I feel ill). I've never been significantly overweight, but I DO binge eat. When I got down to a healthy weight where I was exercising a lot and eating moderately, family members assumed I'd lost the weight unhealthily (they are all overweight). They were trying to help doing things like trying to force me to have extra portions and go out to restaurants for rich foods.

This is pretty much the worst way to help someone who has a problem binge-eating!!! lol

It's hard to be around people who aren't supporting your goals. In your case, I think they just want to indulge with you and enjoy the food with you; food is VERY social for a lot of people. They don't realize they're making it tougher.
CabernetKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:28 PM   #9  

Thank you for the link!

And thank you for informing me of chick in control I will def. Check it out.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:45 PM   #10  

This is such wonderful help. I also lived in a place where they would not help me out and I would have plenty of temptations and it was HARD! Best thing for you to do is to have a serious talk with you husband and make him understand why you are doing this.
Campana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:50 AM   #11  

I am talking to my husband and it sounds like he is coming around. It sounds like he really wants to be included in my weight loss journey and he is even embarking on his own! Thank you all for your support! You have all given me the confidence to be sure that I am doing this right and standing up for myself!
Old 12-18-2012, 11:02 PM   #12  

Sounds like you might have you a partner in your journey. Not only will you get to spend more time together but you can also be eachothers motivation.
Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:43 AM   #13  
Starting Over Again

S/C/G: 195/195/150

Height: 5'5"

I have this problem with my fiance. I've taken to either ordering off of the "light" menu that most restaurants are offering now, or I take home half of my order for another meal.
Psychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:13 PM   #14  

Height: 5'2"

My fiance loves to eat out as well, so I know how hard it is to say "no" every time. My solution has been to create a set of cheat cards for the chains we frequent the most. I usually have a card with 3 different options for each place, depending on how much wiggle room I have to play with. I have an option for 300-500 calories, a 500-700 calorie option, and a splurge for days when I haven't had a chance to eat anything and I'm starving. Usually at a burger joint I will order a burger, small diet soda (with free refills), and no fries. Then I take my time, drink more diet pop than eating, and sometimes I have to take a deep breath and remind myself why I am going to such measures. If I am at a sitdown joint, I order a glass of water with lemon and then I will usually order some sort of sandwich and save half of it for later, or else the fiance and I will split a sandwich and I will have a green salad with it. I also take advantage of the free wifi at some places and use my tablet to check nutrition online, and I will plan my order exactly according to my needs that day before I even set foot into the restaurant.
It takes a lot of work and planning, but I think it's worth it. I got as fat as I am by NOT thinking about what I was eating; to reverse that process I am going to have to be more mindful from now until forever.
HelloNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:23 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 308 / See ticker / 200

Height: 5'4"

I downloaded a free app on my phone that lists the calories of fast food. So when I do have to eat out I pick the best choice and when I workout that night I push it a little harder. Try to stick to salads and died sodas. Some burger places will wrap your burger in just lettuce instead of the bun. And you might be able to get fruit instead of fries. Goodluck with the temptation!
Saracandoit is offline   Reply With Quote