Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2003, 01:33 PM   #1  

Default calorie

Carbs-schmarbs. Protein-schmotein. I basically eat what I want to eat but always remembering that the way the game is played is intake minus output. About 4 months ago a friend turned me on to a book about health, nutrition,etc. and I finally lost 15 pounds and have kept it off. Instead of or in addition to cardio the book stresses strenght and resistance training. So far its working and I hope to reach my goal by spring of 2004.
What do you think? Talk to me.
Swimmer40
Old 09-21-2003, 08:57 PM   #2  
it's always something

Sounds great!

I've been reading a lot lately about strength training as well, and am gradually working it into my routine. I also do cardio, by way of the treadmill.

I do well with carbs, and it sounds like you do, too. A lot of people don't, but everyone's body is different, and have different needs.

I'm currently following a non-diet, lol, and am just watching portion sizes, avoiding the obviously bad things, such as sat fats and too much sugar, etc. I'm concentrating on real food and avoiding anything highly processed. No junk. I'm relaxing my views and just don't want to worry about it anymore.

Burn more than you consume. Good advice

Good luck, and I hope you'll post your success in the Spring!
Old 09-22-2003, 06:28 PM   #3  
Spreadin' the luv.

I have about the same philosophy as you two. I'm tired of hearing that carbs are the devil all the time. As a vegetarian, I really can't go high-protein-no-carbs, even if I wanted to.

You're smart, IMO, to have such a no-nonsense approach to weight loss. I really hope that my current philosophy of trying to eat healthy (with all that implies), working out every day, weight training and SOCCER will carry me through an effective journey towards excellent fitness (and subsequent weight loss, hope to God).

I understand that along the road all weight loss journeys need tweaking, trying this and that to bust past a plateau, but I believe that sustainable changes like the ones we're making will end up providing the lasting changes. We'll find out...
Old 09-23-2003, 06:03 AM   #4  
Om shanti

My only concern is that, as happened to me thirteen years ago. you could lose a whole bunch of weight, be left with a thin, flabby, body unable to readily sustain that weight loss.

When folks diet by calorie restriction, they tend to decrease consumption of all macro-nutrients equally, when in reality, the need for protein is as high as ever. While I don't necessarily agree with those who advocate increasing protein consumption, I do believe it makes sense to maintain at least as much protein consumption as you were eating prior to doing so much exercise. I think, for many, the key point is that while carbs aren't necessarily harmful, they're not required for health, like protein and fat are (excepting fiber), so if you're going to cut any nutrient down, wouldn't it make sense to be the one that you don't necessarily need?
Old 09-23-2003, 07:34 AM   #5  
Empress/Queen

Swimmer, just noticed this thread and felt like commenting. IMO, you're on the right track. Calories in and calories out are really the bottom line of what impacts weight loss. Lots of other things come into play to maintain the health of our individual bodies and likely a physician is the best person to advise us of these things, however, IMO, carbohydrates are an important macronutrient that our bodies need. Carbs are the preferred energy source of the brain, especially, and when we don't get enough carbs our bodies start to break down lean muscle, a byproduct of this breakdown is used for energy instead of carbs. For some people this is fine, for others not so fine. Only a physician can help individuals decide if they should do things like cut carbs and increase protein, IMO. But carbohydrates are an absolutely essential macronutrient in the maintenance of life and health. Complex carbs are the best source, as opposed to simple carbs (sugar), but everyone needs to eat at least some carbohydrates ... IMO even Atkins would agree with this, were he still with us!

I also agree on the resistance training. Building muscle is a huge part of weight loss, IMO. Muscles are what burn calories ... fat just sits there and does nothing for us!!!

P.S., thanks for posting this interesting discussion topic. I also think you're on the right track about eating at least some of what you like ... isn't that what life is about? Hope you come back and post some more.
Old 09-23-2003, 09:55 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 245/245/130

Height: 5'2"

I also agree with the calorie in vs calorie out.....

There is a great book called the Businees Plan for the Body by Jim Karas.... that speaks so well of all this....

I know you said a friend gave you a book.... which book? I am always into reading......

Right now I am on a modieifed SouthBeach Diet Platform.... which is just basically a no sugar - no flour eat healthy plan on the way I follow it.... still eating carbs just better ones.....
Old 09-23-2003, 11:31 AM   #7  
Empress/Queen

Angel, I have the Business Plan. It's a good book. My publisher is doing South Beach and seems to like it. She's a diabetic and says it works well for her. She also likes the recipes!!!
Closed Thread